Jambands.ca

Frank Zappa Appreciation...

PassedOutGuy

Its been a long time since I broke out any Frank for a listen and ill tell ya... Hot Rats has kicked me in the behind more than a few times tonight... what an incredible album from start to finish...

Its funny how whenever I hear a note of FZ I always wonder why im not listening to this each and every day... its just that good... anyone on here catch Zappa live?

Hell Yeah! I was lucky enough to have a couple friends get me on Zappa nice and early. I've got all the albums but 3(they just hurt too much)

Holy crap. That's a lot of albums. What three, I wonder, didn't make the grade?

Roxy and Elsewhere is where it's at!

I have to agree - he's always got amazing bands, but the Mothers here are fantastic.

I would also add One Size Fits All among my favourites, along with Make a Jazz Noise Here - the latter probably getting the most rotation in recent months.

And, of course - slightly overplayed though it be - Sheik Yerbouti. All that Zappa, and Adrian Belew too.

My personal favourite will always be "Chunga's Revenge".

Let me try to guess which three albums didn't make the grade:

"Rare Meat"

"Cruisin' With Reuben and the Jets"

(Although the above two seem like obvious choices, I'll hazard a guess for number 3...)

"Uncle Meat"

Ahhhhh, Frankie Zee. *sigh*

I often torture myself wondering what kind of social commentary Zappa would have to share with us in this day and age. I can't imagine Bush as president with Zappa in this world. :(

However, we have been given SO MUCH inspiration from this man in the forms of instrumental music, scathing lyrics and original thought. Way to go Mr. Zappa! Thank you so much for crackin' me up. :)

"Hey punk, where you goin' with that button on your shirt?" :P Brilliant!

Ahhhhh, Frankie Zee. *sigh*

I often torture myself wondering what kind of social commentary Zappa would have to share with us in this day and age. I can't imagine Bush as president with Zappa in this world. :(

However, we have been given SO MUCH inspiration from this man in the forms of instrumental music, scathing lyrics and original thought. Way to go Mr. Zappa! Thank you so much for crackin' me up. :)

"Hey punk, where you goin' with that button on your shirt?" :P Brilliant!

Yeah but do you actually LIKE the stuff KM? I understand the brilliance of it and enjoy some elements of the satire or humour, but I have just never been able to make myself truly enjoy it, beyond what I consider the novelty. I'd much rather read or discuss Zappa than actually have to listen to his "music".

I'm interested to know if there are any ladies in the house who really do fully dig it (i.e. would not go crazy and do a diving tuck roll from Tungsten Gruvsten's car on the above mentioned Zappa bender ride.) - Kaidy Mae? Others?

I hate to say it, but I think that if I'd figured out how to love Zappa a little more thoroughly, then I might have still be with my ex. Ah well, I just can't pretend to like football either :-(

Get a zappa ringtone: ZapTone

actually, i'm a sucker for the doo-wop so I do have Cruisin with Ruben...

Far as I remember it's these 3:

Tinseltown Rebellion.

...ya know, I actually own 'You Are What You Is' and like it as the 'conceptual continuity' is at it's peak in the flow of this one...but Zappa got tea-bagged by the 80's right in the taste department, and the fuggin synth trumpets and shit drums drive me nuts....which leads us to #2...

Ship Arriving Too Late

Absolute tripe, enough said. Oh sorry you like Valley Girl? go to hell.

#3Jazz From Hell.

Oh look you're already here. I imagine the Jazz in Hell actually sounding better.

(ok, sorry gotta footnote this one - I -love- "What's New In Baltimore" and have it on a couple live shows...great anthem!)

...of course i'm not counting rarities re-releases, and I don't have that last DVD-A release(but have heard it quite a few times...the Easy Meat is un-fuggin-believable)

And Marge, yeah I know lotsa people in that place, I think because his tunes cover such a huge spectrum, there's lots to be turned on AND off by. Check out the late 70's stuff - my fave musicians and some funky tunes - Sheik Yerbouti being a fine example. For some mid-70's picks try out One Size Fits All and Apostrophe/Overnite Sensation...

You know what I need, and this may be what you refer to Tungsten...

I used to have a box set of Zappa called "Apocrypha". It disappeared along with most of my most rare discs (probably not a coincidence) and I've never been able to replace it.

"Apocrypha" anyone?

I know it's a bootleg. That makes it all the harder to get.

I'm going to get a link for you to upload it to my brother's server, if you don't mind. I'm a bit of a techno-moron, so I'll get it from him after.

I'll PM you as soon as I can reach him, in a day or two.

Thanks soooo much! I miss a couple of the discs in that box set big time.