Jambands.ca

BSC thoughts...

PassedOutGuy

OMG you guys up in Ottawa are in for a real treat...

with the change in venues we got two stages for pretty much seamless music... longer set times... almost 2 hrs of Umphrey's to start er off...

Where we were expecting Keller we got Xavier Rudd witha little help from Michael Franti... sweet set...

Next on is Keller pickin up the same groove that XR finished his show with... quality set!

Next up Franti and Spearhead... it was good... in doses for me...

then for the surprise treat of the night... a Keller and friends set... Keller backed by Umphreys.. what more could i ask for... ran way longer than i thought it would... great fun covers.. some GreenDay, Black Water by the Doobies, some Dead action later on in a Fly like an eagle >feels like a stranger > eagle sandwich... great way to lead right into the Cheese on the mainstage... and guys im telling you.. they were on fire!... look out Ottawa , tomorrows gonna be fun...

Quote of the nigfht goes to Keller... a festival, indooors, on a Tuesday.. only in Canada... its kinda cool....

Keep in mind, we only get the BSC from 6-11.

My expectations are very low for this one. Its good to keep them in check.

Still, I cant fugging WAIT for Umphree's. Those little fuckers are serious shedders that are continually impressing me from the show to shows I download, not that I could name a tune to save me life. Hot damn if I dont love Black Water. Wicked choice.

Edited by Guest

I'm excited for all you Ottawa folks that get to check this out!

A great day of music, that's going to take a few days to absorb. Seamless sets were amazing, no wait for music at all. If you needed a break, too bad.

I think the best set of the day goes to Keller and Friends (umphrey's). That right there is what it's all about, raw music and improvisation, pure art. That's the meat of it ya'll! Keller loosely orchestrated one damn heavy set of of far out music! Keller plays great on his own, but he definitely knows how to play with others.

At the end of the set he mentioned Cheese, points to the stage and on cue the Cheese start up. Wooo wee!

The Docks was no island. But the venue certainly could have been a lot worse (ie: Koolhaus). There was enough space for everyone, no hassles, and the sound was fairly good.

Was the Toronto BSC taped?

Yeah man, there were enough mics there that I'm confident they'll be a torrent for each set.

UM/Keller McGee = what I paid to see. I hope you get a similar set in Ottawa (though I kinda don't :P ). I think the point was to fill the YMSB slot, and pacify the people who might have been sore about the venue change. No matter, it was awesome. I couldn't believe when they busted out Black Water. Still very tired, have a long day ahead of me now...can elaborate later.

Anybody in Ottawa sitting on the fence, GO!

That sounds like a great day. I can't wait to see Kaidy's photos!

Umphrey's is on at 6 ish, and Keller is on at 7:10 at a different stage. I doubt they can make that happen, and I'm sure Keller wants to do his thing at the so called 'hippie day'.

Check out this crappy article on the Ottawa Citizen. There are some very wrong facts (Kyle is not the guitarist for instance) and she's billing the day as some hippie thing.

The bluesfest crowd are the furthest away from the kind and generous 'hippie' audiences. Hopefully all the arsewipes are at Bruce Springsteen tonight.

The bluesfest crowd are the furthest away from the kind and generous 'hippie' audiences. Hopefully all the arsewipes are at Bruce Springsteen tonight.

At a "hippe" crowd show it's not out out of the ordinary for a complete stranger to give you a hug. At a bluest crowd show it's not out of the ordinary for a complete stranger to poke you in the back and other forms of subtle assault. That says it all.

Edited to add: didn't mean to hijack this thread with more bluesfest bitterness. Back to the topic at hand.

Check out this crappy article on the Ottawa Citizen. There are some very wrong facts (Kyle is not the guitarist for instance) and she's billing the day as some hippie thing.

HAAHAHAHAHA...That article is reeeediculous!!! I think we should have another "write to the media day" here at the Skank! Maybe it'll keep Ollie's friends away! ;)

Edited by Guest

what a great day that was!

highlight was, seemingly obviously, the keller/umph set. the "gallivanting" was brilliant, showing fantastic interplay between the musicians.

SCI was pretty good, a new tune about setting someone on fire had a good feel, but kind of a cheesy trancey organ groove, but then followed with great drums.

i also cant wait to see kaidys pics.

way to go, kaidy, you worked really hard yesterday, hope you had some good fun too.

nice meeting you at the bsc yesterday basher.

My 2 cents on the venue allow me to give two huge thumbs up for both the indoor releif from the heat and the stage proximities which allowed for those seemless sets. I also took advantage of the pool that was just outside the bar!!!!!! Very nice!

Umphreys really did it for me but I only caught the tail end of the keller/umphreys thing but was thuroughly impressed.

SCI sounded awsome and way better than the last time I saw them. They seem to be getting more of their own sound where as I used to look at Nershi's playing as a Trey rip off.

If you're in Ottawa today and aren't planning on going to BSC drop everything and goooooooooo!!!!

SCI

7/12/2005 The Docks Concert Theater at Polson Pier - Toronto, ON , Canada

Set 1: Lonesome Fiddle Blues, Best Feeling > Get Up Stand Up > White Freightliner Blues, Mouna Bowa, ON FIRE > DRUMS > Water > I Fell in Love at the Honkytonk > It is What it Is

Encore: Got What He Wanted, Search > What's Goin' On (Marvin Gaye)

Man oh man oh man oh man! Whew! What a day/afternoon/evening/night, etc. It's after noon on Wednesday and I'm just about to roll back to farmland with phunkyb. I think every single muscle in my body is aching right now, but it was worth it and more!

Umphrey's...motherfucking Umphrey's. *sigh* I don't know if I could possibly be more in love with those guys right now. They played like maniacs, smiled the whole time and we super cool to hang out with after their set and before the Keller McGee set. Solid folks, no doubt about it. They're hoping to be back in Canada real soon. Fingers crossed kids.

The whole day was just freakin' beautiful! Keller was sweet! Franti was super energy (how you feelin'? LOL), Xavier was great and gave us a mellower vibe (which was needed for what we had in store), SCI were soundin' good, a little trancier than I would have liked, but still, Kang was on fire. I'll elaborate more later. I'm freakin' beat!

It was so good to see SO MANY skanks out yesterday. Holy smokes TO, way to go! Too bad I didn't get to hang out with some of you more, but I was one busy bee. Photos are on their way folks. ;)

Highlight of the day (well, one of many):

During Umphrey's opening set there was a little boy around 9 or so in the front row beside me. He had an inflatable guitar and was playing along with the band the entire set (nearly 2 hours!!!). What a little trooper. Ryan was going nuts on the bass (and doing his hilarious hip shakin', foot tappin' dance) and this kid was just loosing it. Ryan notices, his face lights up in a huge smile and the kid got a huge nod. For most of the remaining tunes they pretended to trade licks back and forth. Hilarious! And so damn cute. That made that kid's day. UM were having a blast. You Ottawa folks are in for a treat tonight!!!

Tonin...you rock man. Thanks SO much! I hope you had an amazing day...you sure looked happy! :)

Bouche...I can't wait to talk shots and share experiences with you real soon. Thanks for everything. What a blast it was!