Jambands.ca

All-inclusive vacations

Velvet

I've done a couple of them, two in Mexico (Mayan Riviera, and Cozumel), one in Jamaica (Ocho Rios). I think I had the most fun in Cozumel, largely due to a snorkeling trip I took (and teaching a couple of Swiss ladies how to down tequila shots...but I digress...).

One thing to check on as you read the catalogs is whether tips are included, as sometimes, they aren't. Having a safe in the room is also a good thing. For a lot of destinations, you won't be able to get a departure from Ottawa except in the winter months. If you go solo, expect to pay several hundred dollars more in the "singles surcharge".

Aloha,

Brad

Any tips or suggestions? Things to look for or things to look out for? Cheapest way to go? Things that are worth spending more money on?

Planning on booking soon, so any advice/suggestions are very welcome.

A good way to get a much, much cheaper rate is do an off season last minute trip. My wife and I waited until the week before to book a trip to the Mayan Riviera and saved I think a thousand dollars. Our whole trip was around $2500 for both of us at a 5 star resort. Also the resort was only about half full (it was actually about this time two years ago). Your hoping the weather stays good, but it was great when we went. Which leads to my second piece of advice which is get as high a star rating as you can afford...a 5 star in most of the resort areas is not a 5 star in North America...I would suggest either a 5 star or 5 star plus. Our resort was pretty good with good security (nobody trying to sell us stuff on our beach).

Barcelo

On a last note, save lots of extra mony because the extras still add up. Pretty much any road trips (like the scuba diving, hiking, etc.) cost big bucks (anywhere from $50 US and up per person).

Have fun!

Do not go to Margarita Island in Venezuela. My all-inclusive sucked last year, and people that were at different resorts that I was in contact with had many complaints - bad accomodations, bad food etc...

I had giant bugs and a snake in my room, one that a porter killed in front of my fiance and then " placed " it in the toilet.

The beer was good however.

The Dominican has good deals and good resorts, but the country was ravaged last year by hurricanes. A few things to note about the Dominican Republic: It's one of the poorest countries in the world with a very high crime rate, and the island itself is literally covered in garbage, with a coastline glittering with thousands of floating pop bottles - at least it is in the Puerto Plata area.

I've loved Cuba the most myself... people are genuinely friendlier, fantastic music, and many of the people working there are extremely intelligent (doctors and such) because they make more money in one night on tips that they do in a month with being a doctor... sad I know. Plus they just seem to have a fantastic education system.

But the beaches, food and people were amazing. And very un-north americanized.

I've tried many excursions on many trips, haven't found too many of them to be worth the money.

Look for a 24 hour bar at the resort... Cuba seemed to have alot, others often shut down at midnight.

Don't get to excited about places that advertise nightly shows (as most do)... they are mostly just the staff that work there, and are pretty lame.

I have been to resorts that range from 3.5 stars to 5 stars, and although the 5 stars may be nicer, I have found the people at the 3.5 to 4 stars way more fun.

I would also look for a place that has 4 or 5 differnent restaurants minimum, for variety.

If you are not too picky about where you want to go, try last minute... you can get some great deals that way.

One other thing to watch is the distance (i.e., drive time) between the airport and the hotel. When I went to Jamaica, we flew into Montego Bay (IIRC), and it was about an hour or so ride in a decrepit school bus (in the dark, with Jamaican drivers) to the resort. On Cozumel, it was a lot closer, the vehicles were better, and it was in daylight.

Aloha,

Brad

I'm planning on going to Cuba, but I'm thinking of staying in downtown Havana at a hotel for a week. I know it's not inclusive, but I've heard positive reports that this is a good way to experience the culture without falling under usual tourist traps. I'll have to do this before Castro bites the dust.

Hey Bouche,

Tammy is getting married in Cuba in Feb. and i think they are getting all inclusive at a group rate discount as they have more than 10 people. You should ask her the details - might be a way to jump in on a special. And you can see a wedding on the beach if you like. :)

She's on vacation now though till monday.

AD, to me, there are two kinds of vacations: adventure vacations, which involve going somewhere and doing/experiencing something (e.g., Velvet's recent bike tour of NFLD, or my month-long train trip around Europe in 2001), and relaxation vacations, which involve going somewhere and having everything done for you, while you laze around and do very little while waited on hand and foot. All-inclusive resorts fit the relaxation vacation format to a "T": no worries, all you can eat/drink, tons of sun, tons of beach, etc. They're more like mansions, with servants, than jails.

Aloha,

Brad

I second that BradM. Bouche and I have used every vacation day we've ever had to rush off somewhere to do something. Vacations always feel so busy and go by so fast.

This winter we both decided it's time to sit our asses down on a lounge chair, truly relax and actually give ourselves the opportunity for stress relief.

We want to eat, drink and be blubber.

All-inclusive suits the purpose for sure.

I am more of the adventure traveller type though, so future trips will have to be a bit more exciting.

I'm gonna buy some property near Orleans and staff it to the tits, and then people won't have to fly to Jamaica or Cuba to be waited on. It's just a stop on the good ol' OC Transpo.

I dunno, I can be lazy and relaxed at home. I'd feel like I was wasting my money to fly somewhere to do nothing. That's just me though. A lot of the people I know that do the all-inclusive thing rarely if ever step outside the gates of the resort, so what does it matter where it is? I can respect the all-inclusive thing if people travel outside the resort (and not just to tourist traps) most days, but what's the point of going anywhere if you're not going to experience the culture?

I'm sure there are places that offer package deals that I would be interested in though. So whatever I say is kinda tainted. If someone offered me 7 nights at Kitzbuhel with all meals and lift tickets included for a cheap price I'd be all over it.

Hmm... I talk in circles with the best of them. :)

AD

Velvet, I think you should seriously consider Cuba. I haven't been yet, but I know a few people who have, and nobody has said anything negative about it. However, I've heard a mix of bad and good about Mexico, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic.

My sister went to Cuba last May for a 2-week cycling trip and it surpassed her expectations. She was amazed by how friendly and giving people were, and the countryside blew her away. She didn't go to any resorts, but a guy from my work does the all-inclusive thing every winter there, and loves it. He stays close enough to Havana too so he goes there on day trips to soak in some culture. Havana sounds wonderful!

Also, Cuba seems to always have sunny and warm weather...not the case for other popular destinations. And the beaches in Cuba are some of the best in the world.

Costa Rica also offers all-inclusive resorts, but they're probably more expensive.