Jambands.ca

where can I get wood?

Alexis

hey hamilton kids...help me out.

all funy jokes aside...i want to get some wood for my fireplace. where can i get it? i live up at u james and 53...so i would imagine there's got to be something close, but i haven't found it yet. i have tons of kindling type stuff....just no big monster logs....hold the poopy jokes please

look around on big garbage day, i see lots of ppl throwing out perfectly fine firewood.

i think you live by my buddies there,,, they live on a street at james & 53, you know that car dealership on james on macdonalds side, south of rymal, theres a little path that leads to their street, kind of across from the other conveience store on james. you know where i mean? the street

names are failing me now...ryckman is the street that leads to the dead end street they live on...

Edited by Guest

tooly that's like a 2 min walk from my house. i know exactly where you're talkin about...

there are tons of dealerships up here...i'm assuming it's the no name yellow one you're talking about...and i didn't know about the path...that will cut down on walking time big time in the future...

i'll take a look today or tomorrow. do they have wood to sell me? my back yard has trees...but if you walked through the trees....not actually through but around the trees you would then be on the hyundai dealership lot....so it's dang close.

Nothing in the spectator..looked for you this afternoon before I posted Alexis,usually isn't either.

When we had our wood-burning stove at the last house (15 years) we usually went to Mount Hope or Ancaster,usually you'll see a sign out front of a house or farm. :thumbup:

i'da stored it for ya....my whole basement is empty....kinda...there are some party shirts down there too.

yes...i think i might get someone to take me for a drive to look for some on saturday morning hehehehe....or maybe ask my neighbours if i can buy 5 or 6 from them to get me through until i can find something else.

the title of this thread gave me wood

paisley, this appears to have been your 6666th post.

that's creepy.

if you tour through industrial hamilton, you will no doubt find free cut wood. the steel companies don't re-use their skids, so anywhere that uses a lot of sheet steel will have 4 x 4 pieces of wood to get rid of. in mississauga where i work, lots of places saw their skids up & leave them in a bin at the curb with a "free" sign.

Ah, but you see, I was once involved in the gathering of wood for a massive bonfire and we came across some old skids that we were joyously about to burn when a wise old fellow hurriedly stopped us and pointed out the stamp "Pressure Treated - Do Not Burn" on the side of each 2x4 that made up the skids. I'm sure that doesn't apply to all skids, but I guess look out for that. Does anybody know what happens to pressure treated wood when burned? I have no idea.

pressure treated wood burns the same, only with a little bit of green flame from the chems

i dont reccommend huffing the smoke from PT wood, or cooking over it, but for an outdoor bonfire i dont see the harm really... plus burning skids are boss for firewalking

Does anybody know what happens to pressure treated wood when burned? I have no idea.

You shouldn't burn pressure treated wood.Most of it contains 'chromated copper arsenate' (CCA),although I recall reading they don't use that for residential use anymore (but why take the chance),to my understanding its not so much the burning of the wood that is harmful as what is left afterwards,the ash,since arsenic does not burn off.

Surprised to hear there's no fuel/wood section in the classifieds... There's been a real run on firewood out here with the rising oil and electricity costs. Prices have gone up and it's tougher to find dry (last year's cut) wood.

Yeah,I guess its because alot of folks have natural gas,theres probally alot of woodstoves I'm sure,but for the most part,its a novelty or occsional type thing moreso then a necessity like outside the city.Of course there are exceptions.

Occasionally you'll see someone with an ad in the spectator (the free ad section) offering firewood if you come & take it away,but its not usually seasoned,just some tree they've cut down themselves,or other wood which you may not want to burn in your house.There is a heating section,but currently that only seems to have woodburning stoves for sale,furnaces (gas & oil) for sale,even oil itself,but I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing firewood ads given the oil & gas cost now-a-days.Most garden centers around here sell firewood,but the price is abit much when compared to private sellers.

Usually when you see any trees come down in Hamilton,its done by the city (bylaw and safety issues) & also taken away by the city,unless you request to keep it I believe.Probally alot to do with it also.

When you check the little papers from towns like Ancaster,Mount Hope or Grimsby for example,all within 10 minutes or less of Hamilton you'll see firewood ads because theres more wooded properties in those areas.(at least thats my expirence)