Jambands.ca

New "Pot and Driving" Campaign

Freeker

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A difficult thread to stay away from ... lots of different things to think about. I wish I had more time to express my thoughts right now, but here goes in a somewhat random fashion.

People who smoke pot don't scare me.

In many cases, people who smoke pot and drive don't scare me. I know a number of people that do it, and I wouldn't hesitate to accept a ride from many of them. If they say they are not too impaired to drive, I trust their judgement.

Thorgnor doesn't scare me. :)

I have been in a car on a few occasions with a person that said he wasn't too impaired to drive, but ended up being so ... at least I thought he was. That scared me.

I have driven when I shouldn't have, and that scares me when I think about it. I feel fortunate that I never hurt or killed anybody. And I'm not necessarily talking about smoking pot and driving.

I know people, especially young people, that don't seem to give much thought to the possible dangers of being too high to drive. Their attitude is that it is better to toke and drive than drink and drive because the cops can't catch you as easily if you toke and drive. Their driving ability while under the influence of either drug doesn't seem to enter into the equation. That scares me.

I don't know if there is a scientific way to determine if somebody is too high to drive. Until there is one, in most cases it should continue to be up to the driver to make the decision, and in certain extreme cases of impairment, the police will have to use other evidence (e.g. driving behaviour and other behaviour of the accused) to prove impairment. But without a test (such as a blood alcohol test with limits) it will be difficult to prove that somebody is too impaired to drive because they smoked pot.

If the "Pot and Driving" campaign causes pot smokers and drivers to think about these issues and hopefully make better decisions as to when they should or shouldn't be driving, that's a good thing.

Peace, Mark

I know people, especially young people, that don't seem to give much thought to the possible dangers of being too high to drive. Their attitude is that it is better to toke and drive than drink and drive because the cops can't catch you as easily if you toke and drive. Their driving ability while under the influence of either drug doesn't seem to enter into the equation. That scares me.

Thanks for that, Mark - that puts the point to the whole thing for me. Why be responsible when you can get away with something?

I agree SK, I'm glad we walked but it was a fluttery heart and the sweats combined with the proximity of the destination that made for the walking, not the "high" itself. But the blonde will alter your senses for sure. If I remember correctly, beer was also involved. :)

Guigsy, how's this weekend? Bring King. :) Maybe your mother could get involved. ;)

If the "Pot and Driving" campaign causes pot smokers and drivers to think about these issues and hopefully make better decisions as to when they should or shouldn't be driving, that's a good thing.

I agree with this 100%.

I was also going to bring up another point that I think that fatigue can be as much as an impairment as anything else; I have never been as dangerous on the road as last winter, driving a truck around with 3 tons of salt on the back after already working an all night 15 hr shift....I remember nodding off on the Don Valley and scaring the shit out of myself. But people don't get pulled out of vehicles and asked how many hours they slept last night?

Anyway, I'm just saying that there are many variables involved in the act of driving, and I, like Thorgnor, smoke and drive ALL the time and am not going to stop, since I don't consider myself impaired if I've had a puff while watching a hockey game at a friends place.

I admire the ability of some people to use their knowledge/experience/self-discipline to regulate their use of marijauna and automobiles. I know lots of folks who do the same with alcohol, but they don't advocate the abolition of drinking and driving regulations.

I know I'm gonna catch heat for this...but after reading the posts on this thread I agree that this, no driving while stoned issue is purely a political move on the behlaf of the legalization/decrim. movement to further open doors to that end. Which may not be a bad thing.

I personally have driven many a long distance while smokin' or stoned on pot. Like others it make me more cautious, drive slower and look around more. In short I try harder.

I really think imparement should be considered on a case by case basis depending on what substance your dealing with. A blanketed approach is only going to criminalize those who smoke weed chronically and aren't a threat.

smoking-weed-2.jpg

I was also going to bring up another point that I think that fatigue can be as much as an impairment as anything else

I agree with this 100%. I remember once a long time ago falling asleep at the wheel and waking up in the other lane. I was so freaked out that I had to pull over. I'm glad that both of us (and many others) are still around to tell stories like these ones.

But people don't get pulled out of vehicles and asked how many hours they slept last night?

I agree, but I think that there are rules that regulate how many hours a truck driver can drive in a day or a week. Self-regulation doesn't always work, especially in many business situations when there is money to be made. This isn't a criticism about business or people trying to make money, just human nature for many people I think.

Peace, Mark

I have been too stoned to drive twice in the past year and realized it on the highway as I felt a floating sensation. Dumb! Dangerous!

I think this campaign and subsequent discussion just brought on a New Year's resolution for me.

Thanks PSAs!

Edited by Guest