Jambands.ca

border crossing

Blaze-0

I, bsherman and Jaybone went across into Vermont from Quebec for TAB earlier in June, and had no problems. The guard had us pop the trunk, but he was doing that to all the cars, and closed it after a second or two. He didn't even check everyone in the car; he asked where bsherman was from, and after he replied Toronto, the guard seemed satisfied and didn't even ask me or Jaybone where we were from (though he did ask our jobs and employers).

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by The Constable:

... put away your Bob Marley t-shirt, take off the hemp necklace with the big mushroom hanging from it, dump the roaches from your ashtray, avoid calling the customs officer 'man' or 'brutha' and evertything should be cool. Good luck!!!
[Wink]

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

funny stuff eh? and some people wonder why they get pulled over going to bonnaroo.... [big Grin]

When we crossed for Bonnaroo, the chick was kinda being a bit of a bitch. In the end we had to pull over and surrender our Steak. I do however think that had we not had any beef she would have had us pull over for something else.

You probably won't have any trouble, but just the same make sure ya got your ID and don't have any drugs, papers, roaches etc...

Dont look like a -, and you will be fine...........

Nothing personal Chewie, I have no idea what you look like. I am just making the gross generalization that the border pukes will make.

I have had issues, and learned NOT to wear a one of my dyes, and to look somewhat 'respectable'

I think getting a case or two of beer at the duty free is a good idea... that way they just think you're a beer drinker and won't think you have a 1/4 of green in your pants!

Also to note, as bradm mentioned, be prepared to answer where you work.

Just basically have your shit together... no red eyes. No dope smell in the car. They hate that.

Oh, and booche, that's pretty much what chewie looks like.

Guest Low Roller

Freaker and myself got the full monty going BOTH ways last week-end.

I agree with Booche: Look kinda suspect, and you're toast.

Basically, I think the border is 'Chill', as long as you follow the standard advice.

Anytime I've been pulled over it's been because we were going to a show. But that hasn't happened in a while.

The latest issues for them have been...

Q:What's the guitar and banjo for? Are you playing? Are you making any money.

- they sometimes may figure that you're going down for a gig. I merely explain that is part of my camping gear....campfire fun!

Q:Do you have any beef?

- I don't think I've ever actually brought meat with me. I considered marinating some chicken for 3 days before going to Vermont Dave's, but the grocery stores have some suprisingly good things in certain areas.

I was unemployed last summer while crossing the border. Each time they asked where I worked, I made a sad face and said that I was unemployed.

All they need from you is honest and pretty much instant answers, from my experiences. Any hesitations with the standard questions will have you pulled over.

Never lie about where you're going. Can you imagine what will happen if you say that you're going to museums, and then they find tickets to a Dead show on you? The search would probably go ALOT further.

As the constable said avoid calling the customs officer 'man' or 'brutha'. Always speak with respect. The driver always has the toughest job at the border, but everyone has to help out and not be jokers in the backseat.

I almost had to bolt at customs in O'Hare airport. They were asking the weirdest questions. So what are you doing in the states? Why would someone from North Bay wanna come to Chicago? Just weird stuff like that. I was thinking I wasn't gonna get through and if that would have happened I would have run out to make it to Bonnaroo

for me its always hit or miss, ill go over totally clean wearing nice clothes, and get hassled for hours, go over with hash in the drawers and a garbage bag of clothes on the seat, they didnt look at my ID or in the bag.

being polite helps, ive gone over with dready mamas in tyedyes both of us and gotten over fine too, it just depends whos working i guess, what kinda mood they're in.

my .02

ps i look like a wookie as well, and i dont have proper passport so either way its usually an hour [Roll Eyes]

stinkin up the immigratin booths

crossing back on Bonnaroo weekend may have had som'n to do with it, but i got the shakedown pretty good in Fort Erie.

told me that pot was basically legal now in Ontario and that if i have up to an ounce and turn it over to them i can drive away...otherwise they are searching my van!

well, the good hippie that i am would never cross the border (any more) with pot/roaches/papers etc...so the search went on.

they questioned me about my work in BC, why i was in the states, why i was in Ontario, the cash in my wallet?? did i customize my van myself?? how long does it take to drive across Canada?? you must make good money as a welder?? you are laid off in the summer?? what colour of underwear do you have on??

ok...i made the last one up, but the rest are completely true!

my reaction to the 4 guards that dealt with me...respect, assist, honesty (to a point) and PATIENCE

quote:

Originally posted by bones:

told me that pot was basically legal now in Ontario and that if i have up to an ounce and turn it over to them i can drive away...otherwise they are searching my van!

Was this crossing back into Canada or into the States?

Low Roller, y'all were strip searched? What happened?

I've only been hassled once, crossing back into Canada. They made us pull our car over and they went through our bags and stuff but they weren't looking too hard. The only thing that bummed me out was that after treating us like criminals they didn't even thank us for our cooperation, just walked off without saying a word. Ain't nothing wrong with being polite!

Other than that I'm usually waved through without a problem.

As in all walks of life, honesty is the best policy when crossing the border. If you're going to a show or festival, don't tell them otherwise.

And my advise would be to never, EVER carry drugs or paraphenilia back or forth. A little grinder got me and my car-mates stripped searched. Imagine if we had anything on us or in the car? Totally not worth it.

Most of all, just be respectful and cooperative. They can't nail you if you have nothing to hide.

Never been pulled over before and then last weekend roller and I were stopped on the way down and the way back from SPAC. Going down, the guy was so non-chalant "hey how ya doing where ya from, just pull over to the side, thank you" it was strange but it only took 15-20 min, the only thing that freaked me out was the massive portraits of Dubya and Cheney on the wall. Coming back, I blame myself, stamering over every question "Where ya coming from" "Ahhh, umm Saratoga" But all was good, two hot french Canadian girls searched the car and it only took another 15-20. Funniest parts, the girl asking if there was anything in the trunk that could hurt her, and after I assured her, no there wasn't she proceeded to then smash her head on the trunk latch...OUCH. Second, Roller eating a bag of Combos during the search and at the end saying "ya know I could have stash drugs in the Combo bag, they never would have found them"

My main approach to the border - Be perfectly honest about everything, and when good karma fails, employ the Jedi Mind Trick!

"We are not the bearded droids you're looking for." [big Grin]

s2dog -- the bob marley reference was in your honour but you made it through with minimal problems in the end. sure was fun sitting at that wendy's though wondering if captain customs had a look inside the 'fridge' or not. the advice only comes from numerous trips across the border -- if you look the part they're gonna hastle ya', if ya' play it straight you'll have much better luck

Be alert for guards who try to shake you up, though.

(Some may have heard this story before...)

Back in November, FreekerByTheSpeaker (driving), I (shotgun), LJFH (backseat), and MakisupaPoliceman (also backseat) were crossing to go to Albany for TOO. We got in line, and then noticed that another booth had just opened. We changed over to it, and were (IIRC) the second car in line.

The guard asked where we were going. Freeker replied, "Albany."

"Why are you going to Albany?"

"We're going to a concert."

"Who are you seeing?"

"The Other Ones."

At this point, the guard became slightly agitated, and started speaking quickly, almost smearing his words together. "The Other Ones? Are they a drug band? Are they into marijuana? Are they into Ecstasy?"

Freeker, normally a very cool cat, and used to border crossings, was just about at a loss for words, and was looking kinda stressed...

"Uh...no, they drink, mostly." (Those who know of The Other Ones will find this statement hilarious, to say the least.)

"Do you have any drugs?"

"No, we don't want to get banned," replied MakisupaPoliceman (nice remark; like we would be carrying drugs if it wouldn't get us banned...).

The guard made some statement about dogs; my brain was so fried at this point that I couldn't really tell if he saying he had dogs, or was asking us if we had dogs.

We had handed out IDs to him by this point, and he was looking at them. All of a sudden, he paused, much longer than a guard normally does...and he had my passport in his hand...

Very slowly, and in a deliberate voice, much as a grade school teacher would use with a misbehaving child not paying attention, he said, "Bradley...you're being awfully quiet over there."*

Which was true: I don't think I had said more than a couple of words after we got to the booth. Those who know me will have noted that I have a facility with language, written and oral. All of my facility (not to mention my faculties...) when whooosh out the window. Awfully quiet? What the heck did he want me to say? I think I mumbled something about not having anything to say.

ISTR some more usual questions after this, and maybe a popped trunk, after which we were allowed to go on our way. The whole scene didn't take more than several minutes, but produced emotional scars from which I'm still recovering; this guy was colouring 'way outside the lines, with the jumbo box of crayons. Or maybe he'd had too much coffee that day. I don't know, and I don't want to know. The further I keep myself from that guard and that whole situation, the sounder I'll sleep.

Aloha,

Brad

* Needless to say, this became a catch-phrase for the weekend and beyond.

hey Tooly, ya i am working on getting all my pics orgainized, bouche suggested something to me which i will take full advantage of..

ya sorry about the delay, but the pics should be up soon enough.. i have thousands, so its a bit time consuming and my busy schedule kills me .. lol .. eh bacon ..!

i can't wait to get them up either, and if someone wants a few i would love to sell or trade for any of them...

shot pretty much 70% of the bands, so plenty of choose from....

might take laods to ctmf so everyone can have a look, if my head tell's me it's ready to take a beating !!! ouch

but ya can't wait to get them up.. [Eek!][Eek!]

quote:

Second, Roller eating a bag of Combos during the search and at the end saying "ya know I could have stash drugs in the Combo bag, they never would have found them"

my one buddy got an ounce of the kind over in a biggy size cup of soda, taped up good, the cup was just in his cupholder, said he was sippin it while they searched the trunk.

cant wait to see em studog. actually i think i might have met you at ctmf in may, and i think you just might be my buddys cousin..... im not sure tho, ill look for ya on canada day [big Grin]

Awkward border crossing #1:

Fall 1997, Queenston - Lewiston crossing. On our way to go see DMB in Syracuse and Rochester. Four guys and their luggage jammed into one of those old-style Honda Civics...

Border Guard: "Jeeez, do you think you could fit any more people in that car?"

My Buddy: "Why, do you need a ride somewhere?"

After an awkward silence, the guy stared laughing (thankfully). We were allowed to proceed with no inspections... [Roll Eyes]

Archived