Jambands.ca

Advice for my first 'Real Job' interview

secondtube

I just got a call from one of the largest Insurance Companies in Ontario, for an Underwiter position. Its a well paying position, one i have dreamed about since i started my program 2 years ago.

I have worked at a small brokerage for the last year and a half, both part time and full time, but its a lot smaller scale, and so was the interview....It was directly with the owner of the Brokerage....

This one i'm sure will be similar to any big company interview, for a higher end position....

And its going to be my first.

I'm already nervous, and its over a week away...

What should i do to prepare myself? (knowing that i've never had an interview for a higher paying job, and a large company)

Do i bring a copy of my letter of reference from my current employer?

I read something about showing up 7 minutes early to the interview...not more, not less...

Any other hints/pointers?

I'm very excited, but nervous at the same time....

Edited by Guest

Consider this: with salary, benefits, equipment, training, and the space you'll occupy, it's probably going to cost the company something like $100,000 to $200,000 per year to employ you. If you can convince them that they're better off with you than without you, they'll probably hire you.

Also consider that while they're interviewing you for one job, they're really going to be investing in you for the long term. As such, you need to show them how able you are to adapt to new things and new situations. Being able to describe projects you worked on that made you "stretch" a little (and which involved new things for your current position) is good.

I'm not sure about underwriting, but having a good, clear speaking voice, and being able (and willing) to stand up and make presentations is also usefu. At one of the interviews for the company I'm now with, I actually stood up at a whiteboard in the interview room and drew some diagrams, off the cuff and on the fly, and I think it helped enormously.

As to that "7 minutes" thing, I wouldn't worry about it; I'd say be there at least 5 minutes early, but probably not more than 15 minutes.

I'd bring a copy of your reference letter, and your resume; if you need them, they'll be useful, and if you don't, you don't have to give them.

Aloha,

Brad

You should also research the company a bit. Hit their web page, see if you can get a copy of their latest annual report, search Google and Yahoo! for news stories on the company, etc. You don't necessarily need to demonstrate knowledge of them, but knowing stuff is better than not knowing stuff.

Aloha,

Brad

don't get drunk beforehand. one or 2 drinks TOPS!

;)

I dunno, I've always just went in to interviews as myself. The one thing that I made sure I focused on was making continuous eye-contact and a good firm hand-shake. Other than that, if you know what you're applying for, and want it, you should have no problems.

Well, the 7 minutes early thing is very important. 8 minutes makes you seem a little too eager whereas 6 minutes early basically means you're a slacker and won't get the job.

Dressing formal is a must but don't go too over the top. You definitely need a tie, and pants. Pants are important. Shirt, however, is optional. I suggest nice shoes, pants, tie, jacket, and maybe just carry the shirt with you as an option. Nothing to get stressed over.

The attitude you display is going to be that which separates you from the pack, so pay close attention here. Answer all questions with a direct answer; usually "yes" or "no" will do fine but again, you need to show your special abilities, so I suggest using different languages for these curt answers. For instance, "yes" in Swahili is "ndiyo", while "no" in Portugese is "nao". Employers always respond well to such worldly facets of your personality!

Be polite: offer the interviewer some weed. Ask them how they are enjoying the Unphrey McGee podcasts and pontificate on the role of electronic influences on modern jam music. Show them pictures of children and claim them as your own - employers love to hire a family man!

oh and be sure to ask about internet access!

Remember the most important thing is to have confidence and just be yourself! Good luck Steve, let me know how it all turns out.

To add to the late/early thing...my advice is to show up really early, but don't go into the building. I like to get to interviews about 30 minutes early, bring a book and wait in my car until about 10-15 minutes before, and then head in. That way if you get stuck in traffic or something you have that 30 minute buffer. When I arrive early I also like to go into a local coffee shop/fast food restaurant and use their washroom to make sure I still look good, don't have any boogers, my tie is straight etc. Image means a lot to big companies, so every little bit helps. Also be ready for those ridiculous corporate BS questions that HR people like to throw at you.

when they ask your biggest weakness, say that your a workaholic, not a pothead. culled that one from this board, i think its great.

show up early, i just went to an inverview with Rev. Can, it says right in the email, at least 15 mins early.

dress sharp

bradms got some super good advice there, do yer research bro

best of luck steve!!! hope ya get it!!

least ill be able to trust 1 person in the insurance racket

If it makes you feel any better...

While waiting for the interview to the job I have now two people came into the sitting room. They happened to be the HR folks doing the interview but the interviewee hadn't shown up (it was me but they had their schedule wrong so they didn't know). I listened to them talk and the thing that struck me the most was that they were actually more nervous than I was. That made me relax like mad.

If it makes you feel any better...

While waiting for the interview to the job I have now two people came into the sitting room. They happened to be the HR folks doing the interview but the interviewee hadn't shown up (it was me but they had their schedule wrong so they didn't know). I listened to them talk and the thing that struck me the most was that they were actually more nervous than I was. That made me relax like mad.

Yeah, remember that the people doing the interview are human too and likely don't want to be there either. When I used to give technical interviews in the past I always wanted the person I was interviewing to do well.

You should also research the company a bit.

I can help you out with that pretty quick. Shoot me a PM with the name of the Firm and I'll do a quick news run for you. It also helps to be aware of current events especially in regard to the industry and Firm. Pick a recent story that will be of interest to your potential employer and throw out a casual reference or remark.

Best of luck with it :)

the hottie at the gas station where i buy smokes is in that same program and was worried about it. but i told him of your successes with it and he calmed down a bit.

good luck steve! just try to be comfortable and confident and you won't have a problem.

edit to add: marco, you rule

Edited by Guest

my program is hillarious.

i'm on our Insurance Council, and for our Industry night, March 23rd, we have 19 companies coming, with 113 jobs available...

there are only 53 POTENTIAL grads....maybe 40 will graduate....any many are like me, and will have a job before that night.

Its just a booming Industry.

Tell him not to worry....but he still has to do well...if you float, you'll still get a job paying 12 bucks an hour...

Edited by Guest

Good luck Steve. I've conducted over 100 interviews for all different levels of positions within my company, When that number was less than 10 I used to get nervous but now I need the interview process to go as quickly as possible (we're already under-staffed or we wouldn't be hiring right?).

Practice OUT LOUD the answers to the following questions:

1. What do you know about our organization? What are some of the challenges you understand we are presented with? (Answer with their most positive attributes about customer care and anything that sets them apart from competitors not just that they are a great employer).

2. Have an answer for what your strength is. Have an example ready to back that up.

3. Same goes for weakness or areas for development. Be honest. You can even say something like you used to find ______ challenging but you did this, this and this to over come that challenge. Areas for development are okay as long as you show you're working towards them.

4. The answer to why you left your previous employer is ALWAYS "To pursue other interests. To develop new skills. Because I have more ambitions than that job could accommodate. Etc."

Basically stay clear of one word or even one sentance answers. They want to get to know you and have heard all the generic answers before. Show them who you are that you love this industry and have worked your butt off in the past few years to get to the point where you can apply for jobs such as this one.

If you've travelled, I would suggest that you somehow bring that up, it gives you something personal to talk about that other people find interesting and will remember, but it's not too personal.

Best of luck Steve.