Jambands.ca

Anyone Remember "She Stole My Beer."?

AWeeJig

I know them from some friends who spent time out west- i've never seen them but they've got some good tunes. i think i have a copy of "Sparks off the guardrail" somewhere

anyway i'm pretty sure they're not around anymore, stnmtn seems to be familiar with em though, he'd be the guy to ask

I guess "Sparks Off The Guardrail" was their first studio, they have one more called "Mule". Everything my friend has played for me has been stellar. I actually wondered if BNB might even pull some influence from these guys.

If they opened for NMAS, it wasn't out west. I don't think that happened (although, I did miss the last NMAS show in Vancouver, so maybe). Usually, they just play a one-off show themselves in a BC bar; Whistler/Vancouver/North Vancouver.

They were a pretty good band. They did great Little Feat and Grateful Dead covers. (I once heard their lead-singer referred to as, "I think that must be Lowell George's little brother!") Their originals, though, were okay; "Sparks Off the Guardrail" probably being their best.

I found that the cassette with Sparks on it was great. Their CD was ho-hum. Then they disappeared, only to return for reunion shows.

[color:black]EDIT: New Rider is correct, and now I remember this from when I decided to skip that show. I remember now being quite surprised because the NMAS / SSMB show was called a "co-headliner" show. I found that odd, as I think of SSMB as just a little, local, GD/Little Feat cover band.

Edited by Guest

You guys are nuts....SSMB is f*&king awesome!!! Seen 'em a bunch of times. And sparks is not their best tune-they have many that are as good or better. I'd go see them in a second if they would come around again.

Suckin' on a rum and whatever, in a fresh cut pineapple bowl...

brilliant...

Way more than a Dead cover band, although they do a wicked Spanish Moon (LF)

Glad to see something that I posted finally sparked some responses.

Currently listening to SSMB 5-24-95 Tommy Africas, Whistler B.C.

StoneMtn. Would you happen to know if John Lovat is out there still? My friend Steve who hooked me up with this band would like to know. He's an old friend.

SSMB Fuggin' Awesome Band!!! I still throw on Sparks...these guys had not only wicked original tunes but ripped JGB, Little Feat, Dead & ABB covers like no other band. They had the dual percussion fellas and two extremely talented guitarists...last I heard some of the original members were playing in a band going by the name "Sweaty Cheddar" :P

I don't know who John Lovat is.

I've also never heard of "Sweaty Cheddar", but I'll pay attention and see if their name comes up.

It's good to see that so many of you really dig SSMB. As I said, I thought they were okay, but it's always nice to see people all fired up over a BC band.

(You all have a place to crash in Whistler the next time SSMB plays here, if anyone wants to make the trek.)