Jambands.ca

Frank Zappa on Crossfire

fluffhead77

I wish Zappa hadn't been so coy. Seriously.

Entertaining clip though. I loved the couple of times he totally corrected the ill-prepared media stiffs on the half-baked topics they'd bring up. And his prediction of a facist theocracy was dead-on.

And did Zappa tell Bob Novak that he was 25? ;)

On a somewhat related note (Zappa content), I just saw this on another baord, although no link was provided, its from Relix so I'm sure someone has it or can find a link.

Relix: What's your opinion of bands covering Frank's music onstage, as Phish used to?

Gail Zappa: One thing you fight for as an artist is that you get paid for your work. Here's the way I look at it: They're playing Frank's music and I'm not getting paid. Frank did not write it for them to play without paying him, so they sure as f*ck should have paid me. It's small money to perform it, cents on a dollar. That's what I don't understand. Why wouldn't they want to do right by the artist? What do they write music for? Do they buy groceries for their kids? Well, so did Frank Zappa.

Relix: I take it that's how you feel about anyone playing Frank's music?

Gail Zappa: In America every day rock musicians f*ck people over by not turning in their setlists for licensing. They're much more stringent in Europe. Don't get me wrong. I love people covering Frank's music. But I want them to license it, I want them to get permission, and I want them to pay.

are you fucking kidding me?????

what a money grubbing cunt! why doesn't she stop living off her fathers fame and get her own damn squeegee and pay the fucking rent by earning it.

that pisses me off...i could understand if people were recording her fathers music and making money, but people would attend the show regardless of whether nor not someone was covering Zappa.

She's obviously in a snitter over the fact she's the only normally named Zappa child!

I can hear Frank coming in loud and clear with Gail's comments. Note in the Crossfire interviews the contentment with which he replies "Millions of dollars" when he's asked how much money he's made off his music. There are plenty of people like this that I respect - Robert Fripp is another. That's fine, I suppose, until it comes to the niggly of how to collect when it so happens that a band feels the spirit move them to play, say, Watermelon in Easter Hay, because they happen to be coming off an E4 and could get into a 9/8 sig, at which point you feel like you've got the cops all over you.

It would be kind of fun and a story worth telling, I'm sure, if Zappa himself came and shook you down. Otherwise, it'd no doubt look like one of these guys, which would be much less fun...

blue_haired_lawyer_1.jpg

Gail is the main reason why the Zappa foundation is consistant with forgotten promises and false fan expectations when it comes to releasing Frank's archival material. How long do we have to wait for the DVD of Roxy & Elsewhere? Anyone who has the DVD of Baby Snakes has seen the Roxy trailer.

Ironically, when I got to work tonight, the first tbing I noticed was obnoxious Ahmet Zappa hosting MuchMoreMusic's latest aquisition, the VHI celebrity American Idol rip-off series called But Can They Sing... and no, ex-heavyweight boxing champ Larry Homes cannot sing, especially James Brown's "I Feel Good". But Larry sure knows how to eat.

feature_jlof.gif

I can't understand running through life with such hatred.

Oh man, Bouche, I don't know if I feel worse about you going to the effort of tracking this guy down, or whether it's that I now know that he's still in business :P.

What a sorry wretch. I am glad that one of the things that Zappa accomplished in his lifetime, inter alia, was telling him to kiss his ass.

He even suggested in that little clip that telling kids to vote wasn't really worth the effort to give them hope in their lives.

When I see vids on YouTube from 1986....I can't help but find the answer to "where are they now?"...especially that knob. I wonder what he has to say about music on the radio now? It sucks and it has filth! At least when Zappa was around, it was just filth ;)