Jambands.ca

The Best TV Shows That You Can't Watch Without Drinking

Jaimoe

I always resisted that "Deadwood" cuz I really dislike Westerns' date=' on general principle (not certain what that principle is, precisely)...but I heard Timothy Olyphant is in it, and I looove him...so I might have to rent it...[/quote']

You see Julia, Timothy sucks in almost everything he's done EXCEPT for Deadwood. He's fantastic in his role as real life ex-Marshall Seth Bullock. The western as a film genre contains some of the greatest movies and television shows ever made. If a film is good, it really shouldn't matter what genre it is in.

It may be that I was subjected to "Shane" in Grade 8. I was OK with Westerns before that.

Jack Palance, Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur, Ben Johnson, Van Heflin, Brandon De Wilde and directed by George Stevens = one of the best westerns ever. Maybe you should stay away from this thread.

I meant the book. We had to read it in Grade 8. I remember it as being a horrible experience...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW Backbacon' date=' I happened to flip through and see Drew Carey hosting the Price is Right last week. What a knob. I thought he was condescending, un-prepared and very dull. I know he's new. Hopefully he'll get better.

Bob's are some big shoes to fill.[/quote']

Basher is a huge Price is Right fan and doesn't think much of Mr. Carey either....

I big time miss Bob. Drew really hasn't improved much since his first show. I especially don't like how he introduces the prize of a car to a contestant. "Did you drive here today?" "Yes", says the contestant. "Well maybe you'll be driving home." Umm, well yeeaah, I'm pretty sure the contestant will be driving home if they drove there, dingbat.

Drew might be half as good of a host as Bob but he's 1000 x better than stupid Rosie would have been. That would have driven me to do a lot more than drink during The Price Is Right!

I have only seen one episode and Drew doesn't quite have it down yet. An elderly woman smacked her face of the side of the big wheel and then fell over. Bob would have caught her.

You would love it just for the use of language in the series. My favorite are the c@cksucking soliloquys.

Watched 3 fucking cocksucking episodes last night and dammit that's some good fucking shit! Those cocksuckers know how the fuck to deliver the lines.

God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes.

I always resisted that "Deadwood" cuz I really dislike Westerns' date=' on general principle (not certain what that principle is, precisely)...but I heard Timothy Olyphant is in it, and I looove him...so I might have to rent it...[/quote']

You see Julia, Timothy sucks in almost everything he's done EXCEPT for Deadwood. He's fantastic in his role as real life ex-Marshall Seth Bullock. The western as a film genre contains some of the greatest movies and television shows ever made. If a film is good, it really shouldn't matter what genre it is in.

We rented Die Hard 4 on friday and I couldn't shake the Seth Bullock from his character in this movie.

Speaking of awesome TV, has anyone seen Firefly? bouche and I got it at Christmas and it's really terrific. It's techincally a sci-fi, but it's really more like a western. (The costumes, the language, the scenarios). I understand it's only two seasons though and when we're done them, there's a movie called "Serenity" to watch that completes the story.

It's a pretty unique series. I like it a lot.

Speaking of awesome TV, has anyone seen Firefly? bouche and I got it at Christmas and it's really terrific. It's techincally a sci-fi, but it's really more like a western. (The costumes, the language, the scenarios). I understand it's only two seasons though and when we're done them, there's a movie called "Serenity" to watch that completes the story.

It's a pretty unique series. I like it a lot.

I used to watch it when it was on TV, but I think the network (Fox?) showed the episodes in no order in particular, so some of the "arc" nature of the story was lost; even so, the plotting and dialogue were top-notch. I saw "Serenity" during its theatre run, and it's really good, too (though I don't know how good it'd be for someone who wasn't familiar with "Firefly").

Aloha,

Brad

I also heard that you should watch the series before the movie because the movie will ruin the series for you if you haven't seen it.

This is true. Some key plot points/mysteries in the series are explained in the movie.

Aloha' date='

Brad[/quote']

Firefly is a great series. BradM is right about Fox screwing Joss Wheadon (series producer and writer) over. Serenity is a great closure to the Firefly legacy. I've been really close to buying the series for Booche on many occasions. Indeed Firefly is a western in space, as it was intended to be just that - also worth noting is that the series is true to actual space in that there is no sound when they are in the ship and space scenes. BTW, Joss Wheadon is a genius of a writer/director/producer: Buffy, Angel and Firefly are all his shows.

• 1 month later...

This thread had a bunch about Deadwood. I just had to post once more about this series.

I LOVED it! My wife LOVED it! Never thought that she'd go crazy over a Western themed series. Last week we finished the last of Season 3. I'm bummed that it's over, but damn it was fun while it lasted (even though I saw the whole thing after it was over) :D

Great storyline/writing, beautiful filming and sets, killer characters and development. Al Swearengen has to be one of the best TV show characters of all time. FUCK!

If anyone out there wants to see the series, let me know. i have it in DivX format on 4 DVDs. More than willing to do a b&p for them or something.

Thanks to all of you who promoted Deadwood here. I doubt I would have seen it if I hadn't heeded your advice.

swearengen-peaches-shirt.jpg

Catching up on Weeds now ... great show to watch while you're "baking" :D

Still looking at doing Battlestar Galactica, The Wire, Firefly, etc. etc. etc.

Never thought that she'd go crazy over a Western themed series.

Same. I'm a big Western geek, and while I usually enjoy them alone now that I don't live with boys (unless they are set in mexico, because meggo is a Spanish geek), Deadwood was something that meggo appreciated as much as I. RIP.

• 1 month later...
Hey KK, when you watch Galactica, don't forget to watch the stand-alone movie Razor that they made last year. It fuÇking rocks. NOTE: watch it after you finish all the seasons, although you don't have to. Catch it between Season III and IV.

Finally, i'll be able to start watching Battlestar Glactica. I am almost done with a pull that will get me the following:

• ./Battlestar Galactica 2003 Miniseries:
    Battlestar Galactica - Miniseries (Pilot 2003).avi
    Battlestar Galactica 2003 Part 1.avi
    Battlestar Galactica 2003 Part 2.avi
    ./Battlestar Galactica 2003 Season 1:
    Galactica 1x01 33 HR-HDTV.avi
    Galactica 1x02 Water.avi
    Galactica 1x03 Bastille Day HR-HDTV.avi
    Galactica 1x04 Act Of Contrition HR-HDTV.avi
    Galactica 1x05 You Can't Go Home Again HR-HDTV.avi
    Galactica 1x06 Litmus HR-HDTV.avi
    Galactica 1x07 Six Degrees of Separation HR-HDTV.avi
    Galactica 1x08 Flesh And Bone HR-HDTV.avi
    Galactica 1x09 Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down HR-HDTV.avi
    Galactica 1x10 Hand Of God HR-HDTV.avi
    Galactica 1x11 Colonial Day HR-HDTV.avi
    Galactica 1x12 Kobol's Last Gleaming (Part 1) HR-HDTV.avi
    Galactica 1x13 Kobol's Last Gleaming (Part 2) HR-HDTV.avi
    ./Battlestar Galactica 2003 Season 2:
    Galactica 2x01 Scattered.avi
    Galactica 2x02 Valley of Darkness.avi
    Galactica 2x03 Fragged.avi
    Galactica 2x04 Resistance.avi
    Galactica 2x05 The Farm.avi
    Galactica 2x06 Home, Part 1.avi
    Galactica 2x07 Home, Part 2.avi
    Galactica 2x08 Final Cut.avi
    Galactica 2x09 Flight of the Phoenix.avi
    Galactica 2x10 Pegasus.avi
    Galactica 2x11 Ressurrection Ship (1).avi
    Galactica 2x12 Ressurrection Ship (2).avi
    Galactica 2x13 Epiphanies.avi
    Galactica 2x14 Black Market.avi
    Galactica 2x15 Scar.avi
    Galactica 2x16 Sacrifice.avi
    Galactica 2x17 The Captain's Hand.avi
    Galactica 2x18 Downloaded.avi
    Galactica 2x19 Lay Down Your Burdens (Part 1).avi
    Galactica 2x20 Lay Down Your Burdens (Part 2).avi
    ./Battlestar Galactica 2003 Season 3:
    Galactica 3x01 Ocupation.avi
    Galactica 3x02 Precipice.avi
    Galactica 3x03 Exodus.avi
    Galactica 3x04 Exodus (Part 2).avi
    Galactica 3x05 Collaborators.avi
    Galactica 3x06 Torn.avi
    Galactica 3x07 A Measure of Salvation.avi
    Galactica 3x08 Hero.avi
    Galactica 3x09 Unfinished Business.avi
    Galactica 3x10 The Passage.avi
    Galactica 3x11 Eye of Jupiter.avi
    ./Battlestar Galactica The Resistance [Webisode 1-10]:
    Battlestar Galactica The Resistance Webisode 01.avi
    Battlestar Galactica The Resistance Webisode 02.avi
    Battlestar Galactica The Resistance Webisode 03.avi
    Battlestar Galactica The Resistance Webisode 04.avi
    Battlestar Galactica The Resistance Webisode 05.avi
    Battlestar Galactica The Resistance Webisode 06.avi
    Battlestar Galactica The Resistance Webisode 07.avi
    Battlestar Galactica The Resistance Webisode 08.avi
    Battlestar Galactica The Resistance Webisode 09.avi
    Battlestar Galactica The Resistance Webisode 10.avi

Since it doesn't look like Razor is in there, i'll have to get it separately.