Jambands.ca

Best Advice

MamaPink

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favourite writers when I was growing up (and still, today) was Robert A. Heinlein (sometimes called "The Dean of American Science Fiction"). Probably his most memorable character was Woodrow Wilson Smith, aka Lazarus Long, so called because he was essentially immortal.

In the novel, "Time Enough For Love", Long's thoughts and quotes are gathered in The Notebooks Of Lazarus Long; it's one of the best compendia of advice I know. A brief sample:

• Rub her feet.
  • Always store beer in a dark place.
  • If you don't like yourself, you can't like other people.
  • Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

My favourite is probably:

quote:

Pessimist by policy, optimist by temperament -- it is possible to be both. How? By never taking an unnecessary chance and by minimizing risks you can't avoid. This permits you to play out the game happily, untroubled by the certainty of the outcome.

Aloha,

Brad

See bouche, if only I'd been rich way back when you may have had a battle for the fair Lady Huxtable's hand!

Ah well, I suppose it all worked out. You guys are the mushiest couple I know (next to your brother and his gorgeous wife that is)!

My favorites thus far:

Each one of Greg's, seriously, that's some shit. Deadheads got their shit together, unless they got nutty over the years. Hopefully, they still got that shit............

Love these,

"If you're not having fun then what fuck are you doing?"

"Don't put that in your mouth"

"Take your 'goggles' off"

'a fifty cent sandwich can ruin a fifty dollar bender'

"you shouldn't waste your time on someone who isn't willing to waste their time on you"

(yes, and no to that one. Its a tough decision to make.)

One that worked for me, but isnt necessarily for everyone:

"Eat iiiiiiiiiiiiiit"

quote:

from the Globe and mail:

Frequent masturbation, particularly in the 20s, helps prevent prostate cancer later in life

Sorry if some of you geezers are too late. Me, I got on early start on this one and still have time to double or triple the pace. Call it intuition.

Booche~

Cheers bro, well I hope we still got our shit together,although probally have gotten a bit nutty too through the years.

I remembered another one or two that I used to hear around the house from my uncle & his buddies while they worked on their bikes :

"Keep your head outta your ass"

Guess that one is kinda the same as "Listen".

And

"Always order the second beer before you finish your first"

That way you got somthing in your hand if the shit goes down.

Strange life growin up 'round hippie-folkies & bikers it was......but fun none the less.

quote:

'a fifty cent sandwich can ruin a fifty dollar bender'

Since Kung was asking ... That was originally from me, quoting my friend Bubba.

I wouldn't have mentioned it, but it was worth it to have an excuse to credit a guy called "Bubba."

Archived