Jambands.ca

west coast bound

bagochips

Hi there, all. This is my first time initiating a topic on this site. I signed up here 3 or 4 years ago but just never post. My friend Jay Snell and I are leaving Ottawa on Wednesday for a cross-Canada camping trip to BC, probably ending in Tofino. We are driving the whole way.

Those of you in Ottawa, and elsewhere, who know Jay will probably know by now that he was diagnosed with ALS during the winter. This will be his first and most likely only trip to the west coast.

So I am asking for suggestions and advice on cool places to camp, sights to see, and bands/festivals to catch along the way.

Any and all thoughts would be more than welcome. Jay is a great guy, facing a very scary future, so anything I can do to make this trip special for him, well, I will do it.

Thanks guys. Gord.

I've only done the trip once and it was in a pretty straight-through fasion so I can't say I have much advice to give off the top of the head. All I can say is, if I did it again I would stop more. Get off the beaten path as much as possible as that's usually where the gems are hidden. Other than that, you're a smart, fun-loving guy, I'm sure you'll make the best of it. And there were also some good tips on that other, "driving across Canada" thread. See you soon buddy.

uh - hello? JAMBANDS.CA?

where's the love for bonfire?

BONFIRE MUSIC FESTIVAL 2006

4 magical days & nights of music, camping & celebration!

August 17~18~19~20

Spirit of the Rainforest Amphitheatre

Ruby Lake - Sunshine Coast, BC

with performances by

Five Alarm Funk

Freeflow

Slammin Jack

Themasses

Todd Taylor & Friends

Motion Soundtrack

The Bottle & The Truth

Roots Roundup

Stephen Franke & Noises from the Toolshed

The Grames Brothers

Mother

Inject

Doppler Defect

Jackfruit

Space 9

The Tuques

Kaejema

All Purpose

Baked Potato

Blue Island Trio

Don Alder

& Ty West

Performance & workshops with Mythmaker

Visuals by Honeybee Visuals

www.bonfirefestival.com

also, if you're in vancouver on a saturday night, go to spanish banks beach.

it's 2 beaches west of kitsilano beach.

saturday night dance parties happened every saturday night last year (and the year before that and so on i have been told)...i wound up there several times last summer. it's worth the trek\ if you're in the city

check out the Bonfire Festival for sure. I'm not just saying that because I'll be playing, but I'm sure you've never seen a venue like this before. Simply amazing. Middle of the Rainforest...There is a 500 year old tree growing right through the middle of the stage.

I'm in Nelson now, so if ya come through PM me and I can tell you what's goin on while you're here....safe trip

well you know where I say to go....beautifull, fantabulous Kootenays.

seconded.

if you can manage the time, take the northern route to prince rupert and take the ferry down the coast. well worth the expense.

go see dinosaur provincial park. check out cypress hills interprovincial park. and absolutely stay in the kootenays for a while. check out wednesday jam night in slocan.

hope you guys have ana amazing trip. go slowly, stop a lot.

Stop at the Terry Fox memorial just before Thunder Bay.

Keep your eyes out for moose from Thunder Bay to the Ontario border. That's a safety tip, not a tourist tip.

Get out of the car for every sunset you see in the prairies.

I forget when the BC salmon run is, but if it's on, make sure you stop and see it. I saw it the Island.

Don't forget how much fun you're having.

Check your private messages for directions to that camping spot I was telling you about. (click "My Skank" and then "view private messages")

Oh, and welcome to the message board.

We also have some of the world's best SCUBA diving around here. It is my new thing. It's fun as hell.

I highly recommend it, and if you're interested and need a diving instructor to certify you (if you are not yet a certified open water diver) just PT me and I'll send you contact info for some good guys.

You will be happy you dove, if you do.