Jambands.ca

haha....WWF in the 80's memories....

Hux

I was a big WWF fan as a kid, reading that Andre the drunk article brought back a few memories and the one that always stuck out for me was the Saturday Night's Main Event when Hogan lost the belt to Andre on that one-count by ref Dave Hebner and suddenly at the end of the match an identical twin ref appears!! - "the millions Dibiase must have spent on plastic surgery"!! haha...

Found a video of the match on YouTube

Here's the wiki entry for it, turns out it still holds the record for most watched TV wrestling broadcast...

The Main Event I

February 5, 1988 - Indianapolis

André the Giant (w/Ted DiBiase & Virgil) defeated Hulk Hogan win the WWF Championship.

André pinned Hogan with the butterfly suplex even though Hogan's shoulder came up before the three count.

Hogan lost because an imposter referee (Earl Hebner, the identical twin brother of Dave Hebner, the assigned official) continued counting to three despite Hogan's shoulder being up.

After the match, André attempted to surrender the title to DiBiase, but this was later disallowed.

The title was declared vacant, establishing the championship tournament at WrestleMania IV.

This broadcast remains, as of 2006, the highest rated TV show in pro wrestling history, with a 15.2 rating and 33 million viewers.

Macho Man vs. Ricky the Dragon Steamboat was another classic!! Macho Man off the top rope with the bell!

That's my fav for sure. I loved the intercontiental belt. My favorites were always there.

Remember when Saturday Night Main Event was the shit!! I used to tape it and watch it before church on Sundays.

I remember Jake the Snake from that documentary from about 5 years ago (Beyond the Mat). It was really quite pathetic. He was going to really small county fairs, staying in fleabag motels, and smoking crack.

In his day, he was on of my favs ... DDT DDT DDT

Just looked him up. Yup, friggin' born again ... even at the time of Beyond the Mat. What a weird life he's had. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Roberts

Jake "The Snake" Roberts

AKA Aurelian Smith, Jr.

Born: 30-May-1955

Birthplace: Stone Mountain, GA

Religion: Born-Again Christian

Race or Ethnicity: White

Sexual orientation: Straight

Nationality: United States

Executive summary: Former crack addict, pro wrestler

Former crackophile and pro wrestler Jake "The Snake" Roberts.

Father: Aurelian Smith, Sr. (known as Grizzly Smith)

Wife: Cheryl Roberts (div., 4 children)

Girlfriend: Judy

unknown detox facility

Failure to Pay Child Support warrant issued 1999

Driving While Intoxicated Warren, OH Jun-2001

Leaving the Scene of an Accident Warren, OH Jun-2001

Failure to Appear England Nov-2004

Animal Cruelty Hertfordshire, England convicted in absentia 2-Nov-2004

Drug Possession: Cocaine Banks Crossing, GA Jan-2005

Risk Factors: Cocaine

FILMOGRAPHY AS ACTOR

Beyond the Mat (22-Oct-1999) Himself

Who had any of these?

I was a big marlbe player back in elementary school. (The marbles where you are standing up throwing your marble at other buddy's marble and trying to hit it to win in from buddy, not the kind where you flick the marble with your thumb or whatever like the inner-city kids played.) Anyway, I once played a guy marbles but he used his Paul Orndorf wrestling figure instead of a marble... shoot he was sure upset when I won that from him! I still probably have it somewhere.

I went to see some wrestling at Loe Louis Arena or Cobo Hall maybe in Detroit. It was awesome... Terry Funk (who I not too long ago watched a greate documentary on) Macho Man, Moondog Spot, JYD... there were all there. Babsy Mudcock bought a Captain Lou Albano t-shirt!

I was always a fan of Hacksaw Jim Duggen (not sure if I'm spelling that correctly)...

Ah yes, fond memories of my Sunday morning rituals as a child. Go to church first thing in the morning with ma and grandma, and then come home to watch WWF with my Dad. It's all about the balance I guess...

As Weirdness will tell you I was a HUGE wrestling fan when I was a kid. I had all the magazines and everything. I'd bring them up to summer camp (I'm trying to figure how old I would have been that year- probably 11) and Pete and our cabinmates would tease me to the point of tears about how wrestling was fake. I really didn't believe them. 'No, it's real!' I can still here Pete mocking me. I even made a wrestling belt for crafts that year that said Champs Corner.