Jambands.ca

Best male rock singer ever!

phishtaper

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian Gillan (for both the Deep Purple stuff and Jesus Christ Superstar)

Gillan's stint with Sabbath was certainly interesting (recorded all his vocal tracks nude rumour had it)

Trashed

Ahhh, Ah

It really was a meeting

The bottle took a beating

The ladies of the manor

Watched me climb into my car

And I was going down the track about a hundred and five

They had the stopwatch rolling

Had the headlights blazing I was really alive

And yet my mind was blowing

I drank a bottle of tequila and I felt real good

I had the tape deck roaring

But on the twenty-fifth lap at the canal turn I went off exploring

I knew I wouldn't make it the car just couldn't take it

I was turning, tires burning

The ground was in my sky

I was laughing. The bitch was trashed

And death was in my eye

black2.jpg

I do hate the "best... ever" motif; that said, along with the others already mentioned, I think I'd want to put Lowell George. There was an awful lot of strength and soul in that voice.

lowell-diltz.jpg

I think I'd also want to bump Roger Daltrey in favour of Pete Townshend, for much of the same reason. Among other things, I could always get a sense that Townshend understood what he was singing in ways that Daltrey might not have, and that came through in the delivery.

I think I'd also want to bump Roger Daltrey in favour of Pete Townshend, for much of the same reason. Among other things, I could always get a sense that Townshend understood what he was singing in ways that Daltrey might not have, and that came through in the delivery.

Pete has limited range and he often speak/shout-sings, which is lazy, but I agree with your critique. Roger is an interpreter, but he's not always an insightful one.

I sorta fancy myself as an effeminate James Dean

well, you are the hottness, and you know, the last time i saw you, you sure looked an awful lot like river phoenix, who is also ultimate hottness and perhaps another good example of a bad boy sissy, so yes, it's decided, bad boy sissy does in fact = yum. whooohoooo!!!!

Hart's on the right track with Levon, who kicked some ass, especially live. But I was going more for his two bandmates...pretty incredible that three such outstanding singers could find their ways into the same Band.

Richard-Manuel-at-Woodstock-Arts-Festival.jpg220px-Rickdankolastwaltzstill.jpg

Yeah, I almost posted Danko as well. Underrated as a vocalist in the history books, IMO.

i know i come across on this board as a prick most of the time, but i honestly think that if you don't hear Freddie Mercury as the best singer ever, you're just wrong. i'll leave it at that.

When we lost Freddie, we not only lost a great personality, a man with a great sense of humor, a true showman, but we lost probably the best, the really, the best virtuoso rock 'n' roll singer of all time. He could sing anything in any style. He could change his style from line to line and, God, that's an art. And he was brilliant at it.

I really don't like Queen, but appreciate the members in the band and what they brought to the table. Brian May's solos were perfect and Roger Taylor is an unsung vocal rock hero.

Pretty much agreed here, except that I do once in a while appreciate a Queen binge; it's yet another one of those bands that I over-listened to in high school, but when they hit their stride, it's pretty admirable. And more to the point, Mercury's voice is altogether something else. Not "the best", as I don't believe in the category, but certainly in the pantheon.