phishtaper

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

AlbumCovers-RobertPalmer-Riptide(1985).jpg

Robert Palmer

yeah yeah I know...the Addicted to love shit was cheese...

but before that all through the 70s he put out criminally underrated funky albums with members of the Meters and Little Feat backing him up and he is one powerful vocalist.

and...

Let's no forget Big Papa...one of the greatest still to this day

Mike McDonald michaelmcdonaldbw1.GIF

Edited by Guest

but before that all through the 70s he put out criminally underrated funky albums with members of the Meters and Little Feat backing him up and he is one powerful vocalist.

the sneakin' sally album (1974) was with art neville and other meters, but that was it for his collaborations with them. toussaint worked with him a bit longer. the little feat connection is very strong though.

what other work in the 70s of his would you consider good?

I know I am treading on dangerous ground, but here goes.

I love Freddie, think he is a great vocalist and Queen were an awesome group, but ... given his considerable vocal skills, I kind of wish he had delivered more heart and soul, blood and guts, emotionally intense heart rending performances. I'm not saying he never delivered that ("Show Must Go On", "Love Of My Life" and "Who Wants To Live Forever" being standout examples of this), but given how great a singer he was, I wish he had reached this emotional depth more often.

To me, Freddie mercury does not epitomize rock.

the rest of the band rocked, freddie was a showstopper.

Robert Palmer was a pop/soul singer.

Robert Plant was rock and roll, and Brian Johnson was envigorating at the very least.

they were better rock singers than freddie to me.

Freddie Mercury was an incredible performer and vocalist.

It's hard to top that one.

I get Freddie as the pick due to technical range,vocal dexterity ...I just don't like him.

I get Eddie Vedder...his version of Masters of War for the Dylan tribute thing gives me shivers and captures me over and over again.

For me hands down best male voice is Jeff Buckley though.Maybe to some it's not rock and roll but that man's voice burned heaven.

I'd give Layne Staley(sp?) a nod to be in the running too.

the sneakin' sally album (1974) was with art neville and other meters' date=' but that was it for his collaborations with them. toussaint worked with him a bit longer. the little feat connection is very strong though.

what other work in the 70s of his would you consider good?

[/quote']

No he actually worked with members of Little Feat and continued to cover Toussaint songs on many of his 70s albums...

Like this one...

f61441rbljf.jpg

Pressure Drop

It includes the Lowell George song "Trouble" and the Toussaint song "Riverboat".

Sam Clayton and Kenny Gradney, Lowell Geroge, Paul Barrere and Richie Hayward from from Feat are on this one too..killer

f61181a339a.jpg

Some people do what they like 1976

On this album he covers Little Feat's "Spanish Moon"

Paul Barrere, Richie Hayward and Sam Clayton all play on it too...

f61287t69vp.jpg

Double Fun 1978

This album also has Paul Barrer,Richie Hayward, Bill Payne, from Little Feat on it not to mention both Breaker bros. and Motown bassist Bob Babbit!

On this one Palmer covers Tousaint's "Night People".

and as you mentioned 1974's Sneakin' Salley though the alley...is killer.

Basically all his 70s albums have really solid playing and great tunes on 'em...

Edited by Guest

I am a full-blown Ryan Adams fluffer these days (not that I havent been for the past 2 years).

His singing alone will make you shit your fucking pants and leave a yellow stain. That is how deep he gets into you. Although it wasnt a 'rock' show per se when we saw his acoustic set, his voice permeated the entire room and slayed us as if he was singing into Excalibur. I am not calling him the best singer ever, not by a long shot but in todays music environment he is quickly taking over the throne I assumed Thom Yourke held in my world.

But I would like to applaud AD first and Phishtaper second because my appreciation for Freddy Mercury is starting to tap out to the point I need to be directed to essential Queen albums. There is no way I am versed enough to be able to stick him ontop of the mountain yet but I would like to be.

And I am drunk as fuck!

al_1470.jpg

toussaint worked with him a bit longer. the little feat connection is very strong though.

No he actually worked with members of Little Feat and continued to cover Toussaint songs on many of his 70s albums...

that's what i meant. i didn't say it well enough i guess...

thanks for your tips, i shall look up some more of those discs.