Jambands.ca

SLOWCOASTER!!! wow. mind. blown.

I remember an 8 month peroid when the "indie"-ish Bus material was fresh and the performance perhaps a little clunky

though I didn't enjoy the shows during that period quite as much as killer shows I'd seen I love that material

ever since that 8 month period when the band was going through a transition I have no idea why people keep crying "indie"... that album is a fantasic listen and once the songs got smoothed out on stage I think they're great

last few shows I caught (before the band took the last year off to take a little time to get married) there was no lack of older material... and we were sure dancin

nobody is ever going to sway my firm belief that the Bus are one of the best songwriting and performing bands in the country... imagine the suprise when the Grateful Dead released "disco" songs (during the height of the "Disco Sucks!" movement no less... suddenly if you were in the camp that thought "Zeppelin Rules!" it wasn't cool to also like the good ol' Grateful Dead)

not sure why "indie" is wrong, or even why that album gets labeled that... the message seems to be "don't change or take chances... play the same show"... to me its just "The Bus"

sorry, had to rant

will add that: I missed last week's show so am maybe not in the best position to judge the current Bus performance ability, though I put faith in BradM's positive review... just saying I'm looking forward to the next show I can catch... and apperently that I like "indie" :)

Edited by Guest
yup

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's friggin Rock Music. That's it' date=' that's all. Nobody's running around saying they're the Slip or anything. They're a good party band in a bar. Good lyrics,pretty good musicianship and lots of good time energy. Why does everybody have to analyze so damn much? Leave the analysis to Luke, everybody else, dance.[/quote']

Im with you. And plus, beats the shit out of hearing a crappy bar band do covers of Mustang Sally, Another Brick in The Wall and/or a slew of other classic rock songs that we hear all day on the radio anayway. Even worse is when they mix in current top 40 tunes like Green Day songs, or Snow Patrol. Oh, biggest pet-peve - What I got by Sublime. C'mon people, please stop.

While some of you may think these Jambands suck, just remember, down the street, or right next door even, there's a bunch of assholes either fuckin up Rockin in the Free World, or trying their damndest to emulate Stain.

And yes, Marco and Hamilton, it is much better to have a band try to emulate Phish.

Last time I checked, there's an enormous chasm of possibilities between emulating Phish and being a bar band performing obvious cover songs. There are more than two options, y'know.

Since when is intricacy the benchmark for quality or even listenability of a band.

?

It's inevitable that they offer up the superiority of the older bands and time and time again I fail to have any idea what they're talking about.

Note this is obviously a matter of opinion and not one I would even feel the need to express if the young bands weren't always held to some standard they don't understand or even want to.

A-FU**ING-men

This is what discourages young bands right from the get go.

Tell it like it is.

Don't be ridiculous. If you are discouraged right from the get-go because someone criticizes you' date=' then you're too thin-skinned to ever succeed in the music business anyway. [b']Every act, no matter how big or how small, how successful or how unknown, has its detractors. And if you can't find anyone (or anyone beyond your immediate friends and family) who likes your music, then you should probably take that as a sign that you suck really bad, because even crappy bands have at least a few fans.

I used to hate The Fat Cats (seriously) and was happy to tell anyone who cared to hear that

now I only dislike them intensely (joke)

I changed or they changed or we both did or something changed and I'm certainly glad they didn't bow out on my behalf

Edited by Guest
long live the Cats!

will add that: I missed last week's show so am maybe not in the best position to judge the current Bus performance ability, though I put faith in BradM's positive review... just saying I'm looking forward to the next show I can catch... and apperently that I like "indie" :)

check this out then...best show I have heard from them in 2yrs

http://www.jambands.ca/sanctuary/showtopic.php?tid/238898/post/last/#LAST

Since when is intricacy the benchmark for quality or even listenability of a band.

?

It's inevitable that they offer up the superiority of the older bands and time and time again I fail to have any idea what they're talking about.

Note this is obviously a matter of opinion and not one I would even feel the need to express if the young bands weren't always held to some standard they don't understand or even want to.

A-FU**ING-men

This is what discourages young bands right from the get go.

Tell it like it is.

Don't be ridiculous. If you are discouraged right from the get-go because someone criticizes you' date=' then you're too thin-skinned to ever succeed in the music business anyway. [b']Every act, no matter how big or how small, how successful or how unknown, has its detractors. And if you can't find anyone (or anyone beyond your immediate friends and family) who likes your music, then you should probably take that as a sign that you suck really bad, because even crappy bands have at least a few fans.

you act like im saying this about myself or a recent band i was in......well..WWRONG!!!!!

What i am trying to say without pissing off the holier than whoevers on this board. Is that some of these bands may have potential, and of course if they suck then sure they suck, but some of these new bands get shit on right from the get go, because they havent been around as long as the Main Bands. Its obvious you were throwing a cheap shot in there ands thats just what i am talking about. Maybe you guys will understand one day.

^^^ actually, that's hilarious!

who's talking about you??? are you in a band thats been mentioned in this thread? i havent seen your name specifically kicked around...

long story from back in the day here. Maybe i am just being a stupid right now. Thsnks for pionting that out. I was just trying to stick up for the young bands, actually i dont know what the hell i am doing, this whole place confuses me, somtimes.

Ps: i guess i need to hit that after work bong load right about......................................................................................................now.

without reading teh whole thread, what puts the fatties over sloco?

Who's trying to put sloco over the Fat Cats or the other way around?

It's not a fist fight,"let's see what's a better song, Soldiers Home or say Boiling Hot Leather?" That's just silly.

I find this thread amusing.

I really don't think that there is a consipracy against new bands in this scene. Just get out there and find your fans.

That's what everyone else did.

There's no secret password or free pass. You either resonate with people or you don't. You may resonate with people and they don't know it yet. great, go out and play to nobody for a few years and then go and play for nobody in other towns and then you may find out.

When we started, places like this one on line didn't even exist so we couldn't moan about not having the crowds we were so very entitled to.