Jambands.ca

SLOWCOASTER!!! wow. mind. blown.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

perhaps you're right but the flip side to that is that i've grown to love nero because i was previously much more trashed at bars and used to let how they made me feel dictate their credibility.

I likely would have liked these young bands like wilco, who I label as easy to replicate today when I was younger, but my needs have changed.

Since when is intricacy the benchmark for quality or even listenability of a band.

Does a jamband need to expose all of their chops at every turn and essentially to be a jamband.

It seems that the Booches and MarcOs want less wankery. Slowcoaster plays less notes in a night than Lauzon plays in a tune so by this measure SlowCo is better right?

My call was for explanation from MarcO and Booche to explain what the fuck it is they are missing in new bands that they were getting from the old ones.

It's inevitable that they offer up the superiority of the older bands and time and time again I fail to have any idea what they're talking about.

Please hit me with an explanation, a concrete example of why I should bother with the Fattie's over SlowCo.

Note this is obviously a matter of opinion and not one I would even feel the need to express if the young bands weren't always held to some standard they don't understand or even want to.

I like being put against the wall in the long run, but sooner or later when your back is turned and no explanation as to why I'm being helpd there I'm gonna fuck off and join another game out sheer exasperation.

I think this is the lyrical equivalent of a lazy two-chord vamp:

You can't change me, you can't change me

So cry yourself to sleep, cry yourself to sleep

So cry baby, cry yourself to sleep

Oh you can't change me, oh you can't change me

Go and cry, cry yourself to sleep

Oh you can't, no you can't, no you can't change me

Go and cry, try, cry yourself to sleep

Oh you can't change me, no

Cry, cry yourself to sleep

Cry baby, cry baby, look me in the eye baby (you can't change me, you can't change me)

You can't change me

Cry baby, cry baby, look me in the eye baby

You can't change me

Cry baby cry, look me in the eye baby

You can't change me

Cry baby cry, look me in the eye baby

You can't change me

from "You Can't Change Me"

by Slowcoaster

My call was for explanation from MarcO and Booche to explain what the fuÇk it is they are missing in new bands that they were getting from the old ones.

Those that are missing the Good. How many times do we have to bring it up?

I am introduced to new bands all the time and continue to pimp them but I refuse to even consider replying to the hypothesis you proposed a few posts back.

but seriously though, playing the 'simpler' songs well and with feeling is just one aspect of what makes a band good. to be able to do that in addition to doing justice to more techinically proficient pieces is what i- were i a musician- would aspire to.

and if your band are simply unable to play the more intricate pieces then, well i as a bar patron, am going to need a few rounds of Jager to compensate (sorry couldn't resist)

but seriously though, playing the 'simpler' songs well and with feeling is just one aspect of what makes a band good. to be able to do that in addition to doing justice to more techinically proficient pieces is what i- were i a musician- would aspire to.

word! we agree again! phew.

Since when is intricacy the benchmark for quality or even listenability of a band.

?

It's inevitable that they offer up the superiority of the older bands and time and time again I fail to have any idea what they're talking about.

Note this is obviously a matter of opinion and not one I would even feel the need to express if the young bands weren't always held to some standard they don't understand or even want to.

A-FU**ING-men

This is what discourages young bands right from the get go.

Tell it like it is.

My call was for explanation from MarcO and Booche to explain what the fuÇk it is they are missing in new bands that they were getting from the old ones.

Those that are missing the Good. How many times do we have to bring it up?

I am introduced to new bands all the time and continue to pimp them but I refuse to even consider replying to the hypothesis you proposed a few posts back.

Ahhh the "GOOD"...so much clearer now.

What won't you respond to? ... the hypotheseis that you may love some of the bands you loved to the degree that you do because imbibing makes one more tolerant of musical idiosynchracy?

Ohhh yeah completely off the mark I'm sure.

Pffft. I think that it is possible that people are doing less drugs and thus more is expected from the jambands in terms of continuity. Not a bad thing' date=' but a thing nonetheless.

[color:purple']Of course I'm just a young asshole.

I definitely think Slowcoaster has a spoonful of jazz in their mix. It's a more bouncy kind of jazz, but it's with no doubt present in their sound. I've been seeing these guys for years and that's one thing I've always loved about them. They turn rocky/ska to lounge/reggae. It really freshens up the mix and keeps it funky and not boring after 3 songs.

Kudos to the boys for evolving so well.

I like these guys.

I was so much older then, I'm younger than (AD) that now. I guess...

They are a party band. A fantastic party band that gets people who want to party, to party really hard. People who worship the smell of their own farts need not apply.

Oh, and they're not going away any time soon. Steve MacDougall exudes music... and I fear what would become of Mike if he didn't have Slowco (Flea anybody)... so basically I dread this conversation coming up anytime they come around. This board is so arrogant sometimes.

I don't care how complicated the songs are... I just care if it impresses my date, and getting her bouncing around the dancefloor. It did... giddy up! You know, now that I peel back the drunken layers of that night, they're were alot of fine looking couples at that show... lots of partner dancing, head down groovin, only looking up to get to and from the bar, and very little musician worship... I like that.

FTR, Dima has some smooth moves! ;)

There's an implied comparision IMO, and will lead to the opinion these guys are trying to expres, which is in fact just that an opinion, that has been extrapolated to say the roots is the truth and the youth is bunk, which I am reputing.

Deeps

what does "they offer up the superiority of the older bands" even mean?

and why is the fact that 'they' are "held to some standard they don't understand or even want to" even an issue if they don't want to understand it?

and anyway as far as i can tell bands get criticised if they aren't good. Whether they're old or young does not matter at all, that's waaay beside the point