Jambands.ca

SLOWCOASTER!!! wow. mind. blown.

saw these guys play the elmo last night and haven't had that much fun dancing to a band in a bar in a while..... a long while

this is the first bar band i've seen that i will definitely be seeing again and again in at least 2 years.

so much fun.

dan , the precussionist from vanderpark sat in for a good little bit and was INCREDIBLE.

vanderpark delivered a solid opening performance aswell.

the most fun i've had at the elmo since Soullive.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what Jaydawg?

I aint about to slag on Slowcoaster because they have a wicked percussive section. So does moe. After a while, that shit gets dull as fuck unless you are blasted on booze or dope and especially both.

I dont care who you are. Hooks are needed.

(That video is hilarious)

Slowcoaster still have a long way to go, and I think that the CD they are about to drop is going really blow up their profile in Canada. Some of the sounds I'm hearing out of Sloco include: Hot Hot Heat, The Clash, Shane MacGowan, Sublime & Strokes... plus enough Cape Breton folk tradition to kill ya laughin'.

n505051986_30711_7635.jpg

Slowcoaster still have a long way to go, and I think that the CD they are about to drop is going really blow up their profile in Canada. Some of the sounds I'm hearing out of Sloco include: Hot Hot Heat, The Clash, Shane MacGowan, Sublime & Strokes... plus enough Cape Breton folk tradition to kill ya laughin'.

That is a great way to describe them Jaydawg! Good comparisons. I love Sloco.

Slowcoaster has some of the most interesting lyrics right now in all of this thing we call rock and roll; besides, isn't rock only supposed to have two or three chords? The Grateful Dead themselves didn't fuck around much beyond that.

I think they're wicked fun too.. they are definitley a band that feeds off a rockin rowdy room, and the last few times Ottawa have not been too rockin- hopefully they try us on a weekend sometime.

I do really miss the additional flavour of (Darren?)the percussionist, who I guess doesnt tour with them anymore. But when they get intense, it doesnt matter too much.

Slowcoaster has some of the most interesting lyrics right now in all of this thing we call rock and roll; besides, isn't rock only supposed to have two or three chords? The Grateful Dead themselves didn't fuck around much beyond that.

I take issue with that call. Look at the charts for "Eyes of the world", "Lazy Lightning", "help/slip/Franklin", "Ramble on Rose", "Shakedown St.", "Althea", "Jack Straw" and a host of others, and tell me how many changes you see.

Yes he did have some popular 2 chord tunes, but that is not the bulk of their catalogue....

Sorry gotta defend 'em on that. :)

"Slowcoaster still have a long way to go, and I think that the CD they are about to drop is going really blow up their profile in Canada. Some of the sounds I'm hearing out of Sloco include: Hot Hot Heat, The Clash, Shane MacGowan, Sublime & Strokes... plus enough Cape Breton folk tradition to kill ya laughin'. "

But what's SLOWCOASTER's sound?

Does it matter with a party band?

Is it worth the scrutiny or should you just focus on getting the BEST dope and drinking the BEST booze and having the BEST time you can given the circumstances?

They're a fun band I must admit. I'd put them on the same bill as Bedouin Soundclash with Bedouin opening and a closer after SloCo if I had the clout.

You like 2 chord vamps alot eh Dima?

This is a grosse understatement of what Slowcoaster does in my opinion.

They are all great players and tend not to play stagnant arrangements.

The jazz that infiltrates their sound is refreshing and well handled. Great energy, good hooks, and rock solid groove.

You like 2 chord vamps alot eh Dima?

The jazz that infiltrates their sound is refreshing and well handled. Great energy' date=' good hooks, and rock solid groove.[/quote']

I will agree. I am a fan of what they do, and I'm glad they keep doing it.

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed myself in Hamilton the other night.

Slowcoaster is very easy to move to. Had the place jumpin for sure. It was too bad that we didn't get to see more of them. A lot of energy for three guys!

I will check them out again for sure. One of my highlights at Come Together last summer was floating along to Slowcoaster, late night in the saloon.

The jazz that infiltrates their sound is refreshing and well handled. Great energy, good hooks, and rock solid groove.

If I understated them you certainly overstated them. Jazz????????

Not from the noodlefest I witnessed. What kind of jazz have you listened to? Time to reassemble that collection.

Listening to the first track from the Ottawa show.

How it is that you can write Jazz??????????? and question my ability to discern if it's an ingredient in what their doing is beyond me.

Listen to it. It's in there. They've got a jam band, jazz, ska, thing happening.

[color:purple]Maybe you only hear jazz if there's golf claps after each solo though who knows?

Deeps