Jambands.ca

PHISH

OB1

I just watched a Vegas video (Phish Feb 15th , 2003) And watching the jam in REBA well lets just say it was amazing. I mean Not the best show and not the best Reba but that feeling I get when I listen to phish. For those of you who know what I mean. I have listened to many bands pre and post phish and always when I throw on a live phish show I get that feeling. It is hard to explain but NO other band does this. Disagree or agree but thats how I feel.

I remember watching this as a live stream in my old little bachelor apt. I stayed up pretty late, thanks to the time difference and enjoyed the hell out of it while showing up late for work the next morning.

I thought at that time that this is the way live music should be shared. We should be able to watch this shit at home if we can't make it there.

I just watched a Vegas video (Phish Feb 15th , 2003) And watching the jam in REBA well lets just say it was amazing. I mean Not the best show and not the best Reba but that feeling I get when I listen to phish. For those of you who know what I mean. I have listened to many bands pre and post phish and always when I throw on a live phish show I get that feeling. It is hard to explain but NO other band does this. Disagree or agree but thats how I feel.

They were a special band, that is for sure.

I don't think we've seen the end of them.

I've had a real hard time listening to them for a long time now, though. Now that there's no current context to feed the jones for observation and general trainspotting - and not content to just transfer those implulses onto someone else - they get fleeting plays around my place. And for now, I'm perfectly ok with that.

but I am totally sympathetic to your enthusiams, bro. My first show was Niagara Falls 1995 and it was a trip and a half!

Nice band, shame about the drugs.

I have this DVD.

It's great, not the best, but great.

The way I go through Phish is that I'll listen to them almost nonstop for a month or two. Then I'll not listen to them for a long time. Then when I finally do put them back on again, they're all I can listen to for another month or two.

God bless those men.

And as an athiest that's pretty high praise.

Also, I should add that I am drunk, but stand behind all I have written here.

I have this DVD.

It's great, not the best, but great.

The way I go through Phish is that I'll listen to them almost nonstop for a month or two. Then I'll not listen to them for a long time. Then when I finally do put them back on again, they're all I can listen to for another month or two.

God bless those men.

And as an athiest that's pretty high praise.

Also, I should add that I am drunk, but stand behind all I have written here.

I could have written every sentence here exactally the same, including the drunk part (cheers). I was listening to the Oysterhead show at Saenger Theatre on my way home from work (really loud) today. Friggin killer. It inspired me to listen to a Phish show tomorrow on my drive back to Toronto, right after the Oysterhead show is done.

I never had the privilege to see a live Grateful Dead show, so yes Phish is the only band that gives me 'that' feeling.

For many of us I really think thats the main reason though, we all have so many memories that are tied to trips to see them...and when we throw in a dvd or a show that excitment ignites in us...

There really hasn't been a band that all of us have been that focused on since, and all willing to travel for.

So heres to them throwin' down another tour, OR until then, to the next act that can create the excitment they did.

A few big acts have created excitment(but not Phish size excitment yet) for me in the last year:

The Phish inspired; Disco Biscuits being number #1,

never really had a chance to get into them all these yrs, but being Captainsunshines fav band, she opened the door for me, so im still in the brand new exploration excited stage...which is always fun.

I'm not gonna go on.. since this is titled:

"PHISH" (my all time FAV) :)

350px-Alpine.jpg

OB1 and myself and perhaps a few others were the only real "phish heads" in all of Chatham. Others were too stuck on the Dead and told me that Phish was too "hard" for them.

Now they all sing a different tune :)

Umphrey's has quickly taken the reigns for me in the last 2 years and i've virtually stopped listening to Phish altogheter for the same reason as MarcO. I need that new music to feed the jones to keep me interested.

They were a special band, that is for sure.

I don't think we've seen the end of them.

I've had a real hard time listening to them for a long time now, though. Now that there's no current context to feed the jones for observation and general trainspotting - and not content to just transfer those implulses onto someone else - they get fleeting plays around my place. And for now, I'm perfectly ok with that.

but I am totally sympathetic to your enthusiams, bro. My first show was Niagara Falls 1995 and it was a trip and a half!

Nice band, shame about the drugs.

Question for you MarcO...do you still regularly listen to the Dead? I ask because I find I am in the same boat as you when it comes to Phish...with the exception of the occasional binge, I rarely put on Phish anymore, BUT there hasn't been a week since 1990 when I haven't put on the Grateful Dead...don't really know why that is...although the Dead certainly had a greater impact on me, I loved every minute of Phish between 1995 and well, whenever they "broke up". They certainly had the ability to make me very happy and even got me to dance...

If they got back together again I would definitly give them another chance...

i saw them around 100 times and i still feel the need to put them on the cd player every so often, same with the dead. but only when i have a couple of hours. one does not play a phish or dead song, one plays a phish or dead show. depends on my mood, if im looking to chill - dead. if im looking to pump up - phish. very different levels and types of energy.

but, being at a show, and listening to it afterwards are very different experiences.

That is correct Schwa. People talk about how they couldn't get into them at first. Then they were all into them. But I still think only a few really egt it and others act like its cool to dis them but deep inside the love them. Right Thompson??

The music created by them when they are deep into a jam is a relm that no other band can even reach. now don't get me wrong I love other bands and they can jam F#@$&* good but for me it is something else when its PHISH. I say this because I am still waiting for the next band.

I have been getting into Sound Tribe Sector 9 a lot. In fact I have 3 disks of mixed live stuff that is really good and if anyone wants one I will be at the Diesel show tonight.

Question for you MarcO...do you still regularly listen to the Dead? I ask because I find I am in the same boat as you when it comes to Phish...with the exception of the occasional binge, I rarely put on Phish anymore, BUT there hasn't been a week since 1990 when I haven't put on the Grateful Dead...don't really know why that is...although the Dead certainly had a greater impact on me, I loved every minute of Phish between 1995 and well, whenever they "broke up". They certainly had the ability to make me very happy and even got me to dance...

If they got back together again I would definitly give them another chance...

Yes I do still regularly listen to the Grateful Dead, and I have no trouble identifying why that is: their songs were/are MUCH better.

A good jam is nice but a good song is mint. imo.