Jambands.ca

Bands you thought sucked as a kid but you now realize are genius

The Chameleon

I was thinking today that there are many bands I love today that my Dad used to like and play around the house and as a child I thought sucked. As I have gotten older I now see the genius in many of the same bands and love them...

So who are the bands you love now as an adult that you hated or did not understand as a kid?

Edited by Guest

For me I think it Maritimer Music in general. My grandfather was always listening to fiddle music, I hated it when I was young and now I love it.There's a whole pile of Cape Breton and Celtic Music I didn't learn to appreciate until I grew up a bit.

I never learned to appreciate the bag pipes though. What a friggin awful noise.

Edited by Guest

Pat Metheny. I can't believe it, but my mother (who has no musical taste at all, which is why this is so weird) used to listen to Pat Metheny in her car when she drove me places as a kid. I thought it was so annoying.

To say the least, I've changed my opinion of him, since.

1. Steely Dan

2. Supertramp

3. Fleetwood Mac

4. Jimmy Buffett

6. Bruce Cockburn

5. Jazz

In retrospect it seems the common link in these bands I now love but didn't get earlier (with the exception of Jimmy Buffett) is that their music is more complex and advanced then most.

I think as a child or adolescent the complexity of arrangements and groove turned me off as I did not get it and I was looking for more visceral music that was obvious...

Edited by Guest

I always like my parents rock music, but it took me a while to like the country. I find most of it bloody terrible still, but I love Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Johnny Cash and the Dixie Chicks. There are some others too, but I can't think of them now and I'm going out to play in the sun.

Yeah, it took me a long time to appreciate (trad.) country (I still can't digest stuff marketed as "country"/new country after, say, 1990); I'm sure starting to appreciate early 70s Dead was a big catalyst, but I now rank people like Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash among my favourite musicians.

There was even a time when I had no time for the Dead and the only band of real significance in that vein was Pink Floyd. Just a couple of Dead shows, contrasted with (post-Waters) Floyd shows, set me straight on that one.

Heard a good one the other day ...

Q - "What is the definition of perfect pitch?"

A - "An accordion lobbed into a dumpster that lands directly on a trombone."

As far as the appreciation it has to be some of the courty artists like Merle Haggard, Marty Robbins and other things like The Tiahjuana(sp) Brass or of course Roger Whitaker. My dad listened to alot of that stuff. My mom, being younger by years, was more into the standard 70's rock and pop of the time.

Stevie Wonder

The Stevie Wonder of the 80's that I grew up with was lame. Turns out he was actually a pretty funky dude back in the day.

Reminds me of my favourite (non-documentary) flick:

High Fidelity]Top 5 musical crimes perpetrated by Stevie Wonder in the 80s and 90s. Go!

Sub question: is it, in fact, unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his later-day sins; is it better to burn out than to fade away?

I first became aware of Bruce Springsteen through the sythysized bombast of Born in the USA (the song) and dismissed him as pure '80's. Born to Run (the song) came off as a classic rock standard.

Within the last year I kind of maxed out my Dylan listening and heard the Boss's original Blinded by the Light on Psychedelic Sunday...I think Swan played me "the E street shuffle" around the same time. then this clip came into the mix and I was sold.

Now I put him alongside Dylan as my favourite songwriter.

It's important to note that I think if Dylan gave half the effort of Springsteen, he'd be twice the artist. Dylan's a negligent performer. Springsteen was/is rock and roll. I can't believe I didn't know this before.

If you want a biography on Springsteen pick up Dave Marsh's

Bruce Springsteen: Two Hearts : The Definitive Biography, 1972-2003, (Routledge) 2003. Combines earlier two works about Bruce and adds a new chapter.

Dave Marsh also edited the two editions of the Rolling Stone album guide.