Jambands.ca

Trouble Sleeping

Ms.Huxtable

Now that our wedding is about two weeks away, I am having trouble sleeping. I'm not nervous or anything, I'm just anxious and excited. I lay awake for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night just going over the details of everything... the ceremony, the reception, the honeymoon, my family, stuff going on at work.... EVERYTHING!!!

I actually tried counting sheep last night, but could only make it to about 32 before my mind took off in another direction.

Does anyone have any advise to help me get my beauty sleep and keep me from being a grumpy, sleepy bridzilla? Any tricks on getting back to sleep once I wake up?

If you're thinking anything "over the counter" == I find taking a Gravol helps me when I really need to sleep. Discovered that while travelling SE Asia and having to sleep in cockroach / rat infested type places.

Gravol's my never-fail charm! (when I need it)

However, I'm really succeptible to it while I find others aren't... it completely knocks me out while other people I know can take 2 and still be completely alert.

I also used to do this relaxation technique where you count backwards from 100 ie: inhale "100", exhale "99"... I think once you get to 50 or something you inhale and exhale on the same number... ie) inhale/exhale on 50.. inhale/exhale 49 slowing down the counting if that makes sense?? Used to work like a charm.

Lastly, there's some technique i used to use that involved imagining stress relieved from the tips of your toes all the way to the top of your head.. but i can't remember that one too well.... sorry!

Hope they help.

And congrats again to you both! It's gonna be a special, special day...

:)

Guest Low Roller

Wake up early every day. Like 6am early. Even on week-ends.

Your body will start to naturally crave sleep come 10pm and you'll sleep like a baby.

How bout a guided meditation/relaxation tape? I have one that I have never heard the end of, it works so well.

Bendaryl always knocks me out, as far as over-the counter stuff. Bonus if you are actually allergic to something.

Oh, and if you count sheep, it helps if you picture Shaun the Sheep.

shaunbath.jpg

Or just be excited and awake! I mean, a wedding *is* pretty exciting.

Edited by Guest

Deep Breathing, counting your breaths to ten then starting over, while letting your thoughts float through your mind without holding onto it and dissecting it (meditation), half a gravol has helped me, cardio is good too, going for a run after work...lavender if you are into aromatherapy...and don't worry about not sleeping before you get to bed...and well, this is all part of the fun, you will never feel exactly like this again, you'll miss it when its over so enjoy :)

it's true, Keri...this is a recurring topic.

A hot bath, St. John's Wort OR Valerian, and lavendar on the pillow works well for me....

I also once had a relaxation tape (long ago lost, now) that I enjoyed the few times I used it.

hey, Sari....could you kindly make me a copy of your tape, if possible???/

But Sharon, you'll look gorgeous on your wedding day no matter how much/how little sleep you get. You're a knock-out!

So as long as you're not stressed, as Ms Zimmy said above, enjoy even these wakeful moments of going over/visualizing your BIG day!

Now that our wedding is about two weeks away, I am having trouble sleeping. I'm not nervous or anything, I'm just anxious and excited. I lay awake for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night just going over the details of everything... the ceremony, the reception, the honeymoon, my family, stuff going on at work.... EVERYTHING!!!

I actually tried counting sheep last night, but could only make it to about 32 before my mind took off in another direction.

Does anyone have any advise to help me get my beauty sleep and keep me from being a grumpy, sleepy bridzilla? Any tricks on getting back to sleep once I wake up?

I've been a restless sleeper for as long as I can remember. Usually it's when I've got a whole bunch of stuff whirling around in my head.

Sometimes I try some of the techniques and things that people have mentioned above, but lots of times I just get up and do things. I've had some extremely productive times at strange hours over the years. This morning I got up at 4:30 a.m., wide awake with a head full of thoughts, which is why I am writing this message at a ridiculously early hour. As soon as I'm done writing I plan on playing some guitar. I figure that's a better option than tossing and turning in bed.

The one downside of my "get up and do things strategy" is that it can make for a tough day at work once the tiredness sets in.

Hmmm, I didn't really give you much advice for getting (back) to sleep. I guess my advice is to treat the problem as an opportunity ...

I'm very much looking forward to seeing you on your wedding day! I am positive that you will look absolutely beautiful no matter how much or how little sleep you get! :)

Peace, Mark

I can sympathize Sharon.

I don't have much in the way of advice. But best wishes to you and Bouche! Exciting times for sure! And I think I recall you mentioning something about Belize? Now that's something to look forward to!!

first off, congratulations!!!

me and mel both had alot of troubles sleeping before the wedding, its stress city, not to mention we bought and reno'd a house in the same 6mnth period.

for me valerian root pills work wonders, they knock me right out, and im not as groggy as with OTC or prescription sleep meds. my wife will sometimes put a little sachel of lavender leaves inside the pillowcase or under the pillow, that always helps us both. what also helps me is picturing or hearing in my mind relaxing sounds IE: water on the side of the canoe, or waves on the rocks, whatever does it for you, that shit does it for me. i have problems getting to sleep alot, my main prob is getting back to sleep if i wake up in the night. now that i get up for work at 4:20am i'm pretty grouchy when i dont get enough sleep, but like lowroller said, getting up early will get you tired for bed early, some night im ready to go at 7ish, its bad.

congrats again, sorry i dont have anything new to offer than the other posts, have you tried sleepy time tea? my wife swears by it

Does anyone have any advise to help me get my

beauty sleep and keep me from being a grumpy,

sleepy bridzilla? Any tricks on getting back to

sleep once I wake up?

sorry sharon i could bull shit all i want but kiddo your wedding plus all the other things that go with a wedding, oops and a new husband that is so true< holy frig no wonder your not sleeping ,all eggs in one beautifull basket , you just have to wait till all dies down and everything is all over

dont think there is much good news right at the moment to help with sleep

just be very easy on yourself and let time do the rest

god bless