Jambands.ca

Top 11 Movie Music Moments of All Time

bouche

In 'Good Morning Vietnam' when Louis Armstrong's 'What a Wonderful World' plays during the montage showing some of the disturbing violence and injustice of the Vietnam war always makes me cry, even just hearing that song makes me really think about history and politics and how my actions can effect someone on the other side of the world.

I don't usually pull the old, "If the list doesn't include _______ it's bunk" but if this list doesn't include Singin' In The Rain from Clockwork Orange* it's bunk.

*really, it should include Stuck In The Middle from Reservior Dogs too.

Totally agree on the Clockwork Orange!

Okay, the part in that movie, where Alex is being led in to prison with the guards an he imitates the kick that the military does is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on film. It's just so absurd, and shows so much spirit in the face of adversity, Alex is a rebel to the fuckfuckin' core and I love it!

Re. Crossroads with the Karate Kid

For my money, the best ever miming of performance on film by a non-guitar player was Sean Penn in Sweet and Lowdown. Throughout the movie, I was wondering "Is he or isn't he?" It turns out he wasn't, but he busted his as practicing and studying to look like he was.

WARNING: 'HALF NELSON' SPOILER, kinda:

The most memorable for me (partly because I saw it just recently; partly because it was amazing) is the scene in HALF NELSON where the girl goes in to that motel room where that party is going on and sees her teacher, and sells him the crack. Broken Social Scene's song "Shampoo Suicide" is on. Its the climax of the movie and it goes over brilliantly!

I like a lot of the extra ones people have come up with here. I think that music performances are different than music used as a tool to advance the plot.

Resevior Dogs - Stuck In The Middle ... wicked. I will never forget that and if the music wasn't there, the scene would be completely different. Same goes for the Clockwork Orange reference.

Other ones that stand out in my head include:

Apocalypse Now - The Ride Of The Valkyries and the Satisfaction scene.

Gallipoli - Adagio in G-minor for Strings and Organ in the final sequence ... heart-wrenching (the contrast of Jean Michel Jarre synth is interesting earlier in the film too - historical movie with electronica music).

Risky Business - the Bob Seeger "Old Time Rock and Roll" scene.

There are many many more.

Re. Crossroads with the Karate Kid

For my money, the best ever miming of performance on film by a non-guitar player was Sean Penn in Sweet and Lowdown. Throughout the movie, I was wondering "Is he or isn't he?" It turns out he wasn't, but he busted his as practicing and studying to look like he was.

Sean did an admirable job but I still think he looked a bit hokey. Macchio takes the cake for me for best guitar performance by a non-guitarist, hands down.

How about in the "Lightning Boy" episode of The X-Files when all the lights go out in the arcade and James' "Ring The Bells" (I think) comes on the jukebox? There's another scene in the same episode that features Filter's "Hey Man Nice Shot" that's chilling too. My favourite episode to be sure.

That Jamiroquoi (sp?) tune from Napoleon Dynamite was good, the name escapes me.

OH, just thought of my favourite of all time! Rage's Bombtrack is playing in the background while Mickey is telling his joke in jail to Robert Downey Jr.'s character in Natural Born Killers and when the song kicks in to its rocking best he starts killing everyone and the riot begins. FUCKIN AWESOME scene man.