Jambands.ca

Almost Famous

MarcO

Just saw this for the 1st time last night, thought it was quite good and was wondering what the Scanc crew has to say about it. I thought it would be a bit "grittier" than it was, it was kind of slick, some cliches for sure, but it grabbed me. I've been laughing all morning about the guitar player getting bombed on acid at the party - "I Am A Golden God!". Love that line. "I'm on Drugs!"

Good stuff. [big Grin]

Thought it was great. I own it and watch it pretty consistantly. I agree that it is not all that gritty, but I don't think that it needed to be. The slickness worked I think. Jason Lee was amazing.

P.S. Just bought Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers yesterday. Can't wait to watch that again. That will be the true test of my new basement theater. For those of you that haven't seen my new system, think:

92 inch [Eek!] screen with lcd projector

5.1 sound and big ass subwoofer.

Can't wait. May have to watch it tonight

Longer isn't always better...

I truly feel that there is a reason that scenes were cut. I generally prefer to own the movie theater version. However, I will rent the new one when it comes out.

I found the extra scenes in FOTR to be good, but I understand why they were cut. The only one that I felt shouldn't have been is the one where they get the cloaks.

TTT's Extended will have more stuff from the forest. That's a good thing. Jackson only makes cuts because it's a lot to ask of an audience to sit in a theatre for more than 3 hours. Regardless, you can't beat DTS sound on the Extended versions.

The extended FOTR and TTTs will be in the theatres in December. I can't wait.

Yeah the 'Tiny Dancer' bus scene is wicked, a perfectly placed moment that always reminds me of 'Tuesdays Gone' placed in Dazed and Confused...

Great movie, I just saw a show about cameron crowe a few weeks ago and didn't know it but it plays out like an elaborated-upon semi-autobiography...he is basically the central character...that's kinda cool.

hmmm that made me do some searching and I found this little gem...

http://www.americanwasteland.com/almostfamous.html

quote:

One last thought. There's a scene where everybody on the bus begins singing along with the radio which is blaring out Elton John's little bubblegum ditty "Tiny Dancer." Everybody knows all the lyrics and the song seems to carry a poignancy for all. It made me realize that one of the few common bonds of the younger generations is our music, and that music pervasively colors and reflects our experiences. There really is a soundtrack to our young lives.

A few years ago, I was at a Pink Floyd concert and everybody was singing along with every song. We could all chant, "We don't need no education. We don't need no thought control," but could we recite the Declaration of Independence, the Preamble of the Constitution, or more importantly, the Sermon on the Mount?

My thought at the time which was recalled by the "Tiny Dancer" scene was this: What if the forty thousand Pink Floyd concert goers could spontaneously chant, "Jesus loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah" and have warm fuzzy thoughts from the past connecting that song with cherished memories of a time of profound spiritual intensity. Old rock songs do that on a secular level for my generation.

Martin Luther started writing hymns because he believed the devil shouldn't have all the good music. Well, five hundred years later, it looks like he does. And don't you think the devil just snickers knowing that "Stairway To Heaven" is in his catalog?

Almost Famous is definetly one of my fav. movies. Had a chance to watch the extended version recently, loved all the extra scenes.

I also agree about the Tiny Dancer/bus scene. One of my fav. moments of the movie, probably one of my most favourite musical/movie scenes, right up there with "Just checked in to see what condition my condition was in" from "The Big Lebowski", and "Hurricane" during "Dazed and Confused".

• 1 month later...

quote:

. And i get all misty eyed during the bus scene where they sing Tiny Dancer

thinking about all the crazy times hanging with the DSO bunch

we would sing "tiny Dophner" instead (after our equipment driver)

good times in the "bakery" rear lounge, as we beat it on down the line...

quote:

Originally posted by insta-gator:

quote:

Originally posted by Schwa.:

I've seen that movie plenty of times and love it every time. And i get all misty eyed during the bus scene where they sing Tiny Dancer
[Roll Eyes]

toughn' up sissy pants!! [Razz][Razz]

wow...this guy says what we're all thinking...HA!

Archived