Jambands.ca

What do you drive?

Jared

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

usually the biggest gain comes from slowing down. i try to never go over 120 on the highway, which is where i spend all my time, but i bet if i slowed that down to 110, i'd probably get 1000kms/tank.

Also, for city driving, coasting to a stop rather than braking will also improve your mileage. Racing from light to light in the city will quickly use up all of your gas. You should always try to keep your RPMs as low as possible for maximum fuel efficiency.

Also, shifting at the right time and being in the right gear for the right situation will help.

I'm no pro and I don't always adhere to these rules, but I did tons of research when looking into converting my car to run on used vegetable oil and these all seemed to be common ways to achieve better gas mileage.

And keeping up on your maintenance (oil changes, air filters, fuel filters, etc...) will also help.

this might have been posted here before, but here's an interesting article about some guys that invented a "green box" which captures emmisssions from cars, which are then sent to an algea storage site which then converts the emmissions into re-usable biodiesel and other forms of gas. pretty cool stuff...

Link

HA! POG those things are great, I had a 86' yrs ago that had 300,000+kms on it and ran great...well till I tipped it on its side...got the body redone, drove it for another 100,000 till a lady back out of her drive way right into the side of me as I was driving by, which sent me off the road down a huge hill jumped a stump then hit a massive tree head on and rolled onto its side again...then it was dead...and thankgod me and my friend were not ;) I love those broncos !!!

AD, my jetta is around the same in all ways.

its a 2L 4 cylinder gasoline engine and i find the biggest difference from good to bad mileage is the air filter and internal engine cleanliness.

make sure not to skip changing the air filter when changing oil and run some high octane ethanol fuel through there when taking a long trip to really clean the valves. gets me from low 500's to around 600km on long trips and from 400 to about 450km in the city. (at a reasonable speed...120km/h highway)

Edited by Guest

And you just let your friends pay their license, registration, gas and insurance bills to make sure you get to go to shows out of town right?

I've heard that argument around here alot. It really seems to work for some people!

Too bad some jobs require a car. And some friends require a friend with a car..........

I get about 650 Kms to my 45 litre tank. I get better mileage (in my mind anyways) when I use premium fuel.

the past couple times i've driven to bonnaroo i've asked the people in my car to split the cost of an oil change. but in the end it never happened. i think it's only fair though. 3600km on my car, i think an oil change is more than fair considering i paid for the car, i pay for the insurance, i pay for the maintenance...

1985 VW Westfalia Campmobile - good times!

Is it a white one? I'm sure i saw you guys on the QEW on the way in to see Roger Waters the other week (a little bit late too ).

I had a 1978 Westy for a while. Ton of fun. Completely diff beast than the 80s models (wouldn't mind one in wicked condition). How's the maintenance on yours?

I drive whatever my job dictates. Mostly I drive F150's. When I hauled two motorcycles from Montreal to Brantford I only spent about $150 on gas, even though I had close to 2000lbs in the back once you add together the bikes and the ramp. I've done this drive a few times now and I can vouch for the fact that Fords are consistent and reliable vehicles. This one is an '01 extended cab, long box, a very big fucking truck. It has 227 000 miles (not kilometers) and it runs fantastic. I'm thoroughly impressed by the Ford trucks. Proper driving and regular maintenance definitely help.

BTW, Jared, when did you start needing leg room and having a job? ;P

289161.jpg

I drive these babies. The mileage is out of this world. Gas prices don't affect me and I never need a DD although sometimes a seeing eye dog would help. I have never had a license, never wanted one and never will have one.

I drive the same thing... sometimes when needed, I also drive a big ol' bus that says Browntown Transit... it can hold all my friends too... :)

Never had my license, and not sure if I ever will.

cheers,

Nellie

And you just let your friends pay their license, registration, gas and insurance bills to make sure you get to go to shows out of town right?

I've heard that argument around here alot. It really seems to work for some people!

Too bad some jobs require a car. And some friends require a friend with a car..........

More often than not I dont take a ride from friends unless Im forced. Im pretty self sufficient. I ride the bus or train. I have a small fear of cars and that extends to riding in them. I especially hate being on the highway, it freaks me right out. Im one of those people who cling to the dash with one hand and the door handle with the other. My wife drives me too work only on days when she works before me, other days I walk and I walk home or jog everynight.

Growing up in Scotland helped alot. In Glasgow you can go anywhere without a car. The buses and trains bring you within 10-15 minutes walk of anywhere you really need to be. I spent alot of time with my grandad as a kid and he didnt drive so I kinda of picked up the habit from him.

When I do take a ride I always offer more than my share of gas money/drinks/smoke/smokes whatever.

What I'm still trying to figure out is how people became so dependant on cars in such a short time. We have had cars for maybe 85-90 of 2007 recorded years.

Edited by Guest
YATS I prefer the lightening bolts. :)

Hehe... Jared... you helped describe that special 'Thornhill' attitude that makes me dread going back home, if only for me losing my cool and beating someone to a pulp.

::What would Ghandi do... what would Ghandi do?::

I drive a 1990 Passat... handed down through the family... learned to drive on it... and have been directly involved in every maintanece of the vehicle since it's first year. It has 215,000 km's on it, so for a VW is just starting to get old. Most of the km's are highway too... and very little in inner city commuter traffic, or low velocity highway scenarios... for my sanity, and so the little bugger doesn't overheat!

3 Bonnaroos

3 Evolves

1 Trip to BC and Back

About 50 Trips to and From Ottawa...

I'm hoping to have this highway ready go-cart for a long time... getting a new boot for er' today so it's all ready for Newfoundland in a week or two. And got the Subwoofer so I don't have to kill my small speakers when I'm cruising on the highway.

Got a Spedometor that goes to 260km/h (love those Germans ;) ) and I've had it up to 220km on an empty decending into Ottawa stretch of the 416 on a nice clear and calm Tuesday afternoon not so long ago!

Oh, it's got guts too. I can beat, most cars off the line, and if I'm going 120 and still need some juice to quickly and saftely fly by a truck at 140 or 160 ( :) ) ;) , there's lots of oomph for that too. I feel lucky to have a little extra power on the highway especially after driving Boiler Rats Civic on the way to Ottawa... there was no overdrive, and it took 3 or 4 times longer to pass a truck going 110-120 on the 401 on the way to Ottawa. Now there's where you're going to have your accident!

If I were to tow a boat, it would be a canoe, and that can go on top... I love the freedom it gives me to explore Canada... can't see it going to the states ever again, lest it end up incarcerated for inadvertantly smuggling narcotics, if you know what I mean... and hopefully when it's time for 'Tameus' to pack it in, it'll be time for me to go somewhere a little futher than North America...

Got a Spedometor that goes to 260km/h (love those Germans ;) ) and I've had it up to 220km on an empty decending into Ottawa stretch of the 416 on a nice clear and calm Tuesday afternoon not so long ago!

sad to say it but Will has the speed record in my car as well. which was 170 km/h, for pretty much all of New Brunswick after an Evolve a couple or more years ago. and sure enough on the same trip i get a ticket for going 118 km/h.