Jambands.ca

Hey, Wha Happened?

Schwa.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

schwampy, i think your anti-facebook addiction is spiralling out of control. do you realize you spend more time thinking about and ranting about facebook than many people spend ON facebook?

facebook is fun. and all these anti-facebook threads lately just make me laugh. do y'all not see the irony in discussing the evils of facebook, on AN INTERNET MESSAGEBOARD??? it is really no different! i can click on each of your little avatar pictures and pull up whatever information you have entered in your profile -- no different than a facebook profile. we chat in these threads -- no different than a group on facebook. people add signatures to their posts -- no different than the status updates.

(as an aside, i freaking love the status updates, i spend more time laughing about random things my friends are doing or pretending to do than you would believe.)

facebook is what you make of it. there are all kinds of different privacy settings, if you are uncomfortable being out there, you can make your account pretty much invisible -- so that people who search you out can't even find you. and there's no rule that says you have to open an account under your real name.

i don't think it's necessarily exclusive to people, either. people have complained about feeling left out HERE because so many of us know each other in real life. it's not like if you turn down a friend request that person gets an email saying "sorry, you suck"

the stalker argument? HELLO OUT THERE ALL YOU NON-POSTING LURKERS! posting here is less private than hanging out on facebook. it's a bit of common sense, anything you put on facebook you know anyone who is in your friend list can see if they want to. so if you have a stalker, take them off your list, or don't put revealing stuff up on your page.

i think facebook IS an effective tool. come home, check your email, your answering machine, open up facebook and instantly see what's up with your friends. i can't tell you how many genuniely super fun get togethers have been spawned by facebook interaction. it's the easiest way to interact with multiple people you know all at once. and fun too! it's really just like hanging out here, but more intimately.

don't knock it until you try it. i admit, before i joined, i was creeped out by it too. then i joined. really, it's not a big deal. it's fun, and a great way to connect not only with people you know, but people you've lost touch with.

(btw, this whole thing is not directed at specifically at schwampy, but is rather my ode to all y'all who be hatin' on the facebitch)

p.s. that is such a great karin/schwampness picture! i LOVE it!

and p.p.s. i know schwampy. boy do i ever. he taught me how to do flips off the diving board! last summer! he's positively gymnastical! YEEHAW!

I have never met the schwa..one day, one day.

Face book tottally freaked me out at first...now I embrace the face! Love it for keeping in contact with friends new and old, for sharing pictures exspecially.

As for old haunts coming round...well its been just so nice to reconnect with peeps I was so close too many years ago and for no other reasons than distance and time et lost touch with...sooo nice to reconnect with the dude I used to do bts with in highschool, the girl I travelled west with, the dude I bussed across the states with so on and so forth....its been really cool so far.

ha but I'm still a bit paranoid about the 3rd party stuff but I'll probably get over it. I'm just a wee pea in this 'verse and can't imagine I'm worth the bother as far as 'the man' is concerned...who knows though I guess.