Jambands.ca

Roll Call: CTMF Labour Day!!!

Large Marge

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smokin' weekend! Good playin' Rev...I also really enjoyrd the United Steel Workers, a wicked hard edge rockabilly thing....and there were so many others that were killer. Alun Pigguns kicked my ass again, and The Stars Here were phenominal. The Fatties were incredible and then the Diesle Dog played till 4:30 or something....so sweet.

Hey folks,

I too had a fun time at the festie. Although I was only there for one night unfortunately. I just needed some downtime this weekend, so we opted to hear north to the cottage on Saturday.

I was really dissapointed to have missed the United STeelworkers though as they are a band I've been wanting to catch for some time.

Fatties kicked things off on Friday. I thought they played a great set. Dave had a particularly good night on the bass. Three new tunes thrown into the mix as well, which was refreshing. And some good old ones that i haven't heard them dig up for a while.

The band that played after them (Battleship Ethel) were super talented. They had this old school art rock thing going on... reminded me of Yes, very early Floyd, even a bit of Zappa. That drummer was crazy!! I was really impressed by them. You don't hear too many bands these days experimenting with that kind of sound (I don't anyways)... it's not always my thing, but they had it going on.

Diesel Dog were great as usual. I was dissapointed to have bowed out early, as I missed their entire acoustic set. But with a bun in the oven, and nothing in the system but water and pizza, sleep came over me.

The only downside to my experience this year, is there was a total crazy psychopath wandering around the backfields where we were camped. I had been sleeping for about an hour or so and was startled out of my slumber by some guy screaming, looking for a fight, yelling brutal obscenities at women, pounding on people's cars, tearing at people's tents. It is the first time that I have EVER actually felt fear or real danger at a festival before. I thought being in the back ninety was a wise choise given that I wanted to get some actual sleep that night, but I was quickly regretting my decision as I was honestly just waiting for this guy to attack our tent. I don't know where this dude came from... and I'm not the type that ever wishes violence on people, but I really hope this guy was either turfed or put into his place.

I heard the next morning that poor Scott had an unfortunate run-in with some guy. I'd put money on it that it was the same person as that guy was a total loose canon and it was only a matter of time.

That really put a damper on my night, and I wouldn't be lying to say that I was happy to get the hell out of there the next morning...

Hopefully no one else was terrorized by that asshole!

Home Life is never quite the same after a good cometogether. It's hard to come home after seeing So many good people, great bands,

amazing starlit nights... there were a lot of faces missing this one I felt, but still a great weekend. Thanks for all the hugs ,smiles, music,and getting down on the dancefloor... cant wait to do it all over again next year.

wow, sorry to hear that happened... glad he didn't attack your tent! It's always freaky hearing craziness outside a tent when your in it, since you cant see whats goin on and how close things are or about to be to your tent, its just not secure feeling at all...

I hope the people that recieved the damage got to see who he was before Rick turfed him, so that maybe they will get some compensation.

The only downside to my experience this year, is there was a total crazy psychopath wandering around the backfields where we were camped. I had been sleeping for about an hour or so and was startled out of my slumber by some guy screaming, looking for a fight, yelling brutal obscenities at women, pounding on people's cars, tearing at people's tents. It is the first time that I have EVER actually felt fear or real danger at a festival before. I thought being in the back ninety was a wise choise given that I wanted to get some actual sleep that night, but I was quickly regretting my decision as I was honestly just waiting for this guy to attack our tent. I don't know where this dude came from...

I didn't think Elemeno was there this year ;^)

Wish you had been though! Edger - sorry 'bout your troubles! Great seeing you though.

WE were only there for Friday night but that was a full ride for me - great time. Fat Cats sounded great as usual - nice new tunes! Battleship Ethel was a ball of intense tripadelia! Diesel Dog - can't say enough. Loved the way they closed with the acoustic set - well thought out! Diesel Doug's got one of the most sincere voices I've ever heard (sincere like Jerry's).

Great to see lots of amazing folks - you know who you are!

The only complaint I had was with the sound outside - with the speakers only in the tent it made it really distorted and hollow if you weren't in there. Otherwise, great job on the line-up etc.. for the festival Mark and Shane!

Great music. Great weather. Great party. I had a ton of fun. Was really happy see some faces I hadn't seen all summer (most of you really). Thankfully, I was lucky enough to avoid that ragin' jackass that edger spoke of. Although, I did have one run in with someone on saturday night but it was quelled quickly, quietly and moreless out of sight, some folks just have no sense of humor I suppose.

I was able to record alot of the bands that played the main stage. Although a couple (two or three anyway) of the recordings got cut short due to the battery on my minidisc crappin' out.

Battleship Ethel and Diesel Dog both told me they werte recording their set, so I didn't set up in the saloon that night. I believe I got most of the Droops saloon set the next night. I was a bit disappointed that whoever I spoke to from Passenger (top hat guy) wasn't a little more friendlier or less "standoff-ish" I guess, when I inquired about recording their set, so I opted to to go party elsewhere sunday night.

I know I saw more bands and will probally add to this list as my memory clears and I shake this flu-like feelin' I woke up with yesterday but some musical highlights for me were:

B.A Johnson - Man, is that guy ever a load of fun, as well absolutley nuts.

Fat Cats - New songs! Awesome set. I never tire of seein them kick ass at CTMF.

Battleship Ethel - Crazy energy from those boys. Mike is a madman on those drums.

Diesel Dog - Always a pleasure to get down with ya'll. Awesome saloon set.

United Steelworkers of Montreal - The set was great. The song dedication to me, was hilarious. I still didn't cry though. Although I did get an above normal amount of hugs from complete strangers after that. 028ws9.gif

Surly Young Bucks - Finally I get to see you guys!! Awesome set of music, I really enjoyed their sound. Sadly, this set was one of the sets that expiremced the dead battery syndrome and I missed gettin' most of it as I had to head to my camp site to get fresh batteries.

Mark Wilson and The Way It Is - I always forget just how much I enjoy that band, and it was sweet to see and hear the Good Rev up there with them, really added to their set in my opinion.

Overall, the music was first rate this weekend. I'm not sure there was a single band I saw I didn't enjoy, I just wish I could have seen more bands.

A CTMF first for me was actually waking up in my tent, not one but two mornings. I really don't think that has ever occured before. I guess I'm finally growing up (or old) 028ws9.gif

Cheers to Shane for bookin some awesome acts (and doin the sound) and as usual to Mark Wilson and Rick for throwin' an awesome party. Look forward to seeing what Mark has in store for the fall up there. And huge thanks to Brian for gettin my ass there and back.

One of the best music line ups in ctmf history, I'd venture.

Friday night the Fatties kicked things off really nice! I great way to get everyone warmed up for the weekend!

I was mainly looking forward to seeing Battleship Ethel. I made sure that I was fully prepared for their show on Friday night. They did not disappoint either! The intensity coming from that corner of the saloon was incredible! They heavier they played, the more soothing it was on my mind.. I was in heaven! I can't wait to see them play again. There were a lot of people video.. perhaps some clips will surface.

Diesel Dog in the saloon after Battleship Ethel was just the icing on the cake.. or maybe it was the cherry on top.. either way, they are one of my favourite bands and Friday night in the saloon rocked!!

Too bad i didn't see buddy in the back field being a dick.. buddy and I were walking all around back there and could have shut that lunatic up good! (yeah, I'm a tough guy! ;) )

On Satrurday afternoon I made it down in time to catch the last two minutes or so of Electroluminesent. One man guitar loopy type deal.

And then..... BA Johnson!! This guy is from Hamilton and it frickin showed!! What a complete nut! He played prearranged beats, which he pretended to play on his Casio he had set up. He played acoustic guitar and he played the crowd!! When he wasn't freaking random members of the audience, he was literally pouring beer, two at a time, in the general vicinity of his mouth, coating the hairy bare front of himself and then doing the worm on the dirt floor of the tent. He had the aduience absolutely howling with his totally mad antics. Yikes!

What else.. Woodhands were good.. United Steel Workers... they were good. Pulled out of ghosttown early Sunday afternoon..

Great job putting this together Mark and all involved. Friday night's entertainment was alone worth the price of admission.

Wonderful to meet up with a whole bunch of incredible friends and have a total blast! May 2-4 cannot come soon enough!

Hey-ho. Im pretty sure I had lotsa fun?! Funny thing...Scott was explaining where he thought the dudes car was and I was all like, hey lets go Michael Jackson it (but not really, but you know...) and he described the car as this run down hunk a junk with a broken window in the back with a poorly done duct tape job and I was like, Dude! Thats my car! Seriously, it was...

And who was that jerk with the baseball bat?

I had a great weekend... ran into lots of old friends and met some new ones... Rocked out in the Saloon friday until 6ish when things died down. A great start to the weekend.

Musically, Saturday was probably the highlight of my weekend. Seeing as I passed out at 9pm Sunday and missed everything. B.A Johnston was great. I tried to get down and get a picture of him and he straddled me, took my beer and drank it, threw it away and continued to hump me in the dirt while singing. Pretty hilarious.

I was extremely excited to see the Steel Workers and they didn't disappoint at all. Awesome set.

Cheers to Mark and Shane for an awesome weekend.

Heres a few pics from Saturday....

B.A. Johnston

n761800318_1166840_7985.jpg

n761800318_1166842_8742.jpg

n761800318_1166844_9496.jpg

n761800318_1166849_581.jpg

n761800318_1166957_2336.jpg

United Steel Workers of Montreal

n761800318_1166836_6482.jpg

n761800318_1166946_7172.jpg

n761800318_1166948_8691.jpg

n761800318_1166949_9116.jpg

n761800318_1166956_1932.jpg

i only get like that if you try and stand in MY space behind the bar.

Oh you woulda lost it - there were some real "winners" in your spot this year. Especially the "light nazi" - idiot! You would have thrown around a ton of "get with the help" comments, a bunch more "meh"'s, and I'm sure you'd've rattled the bar a time or two for good measure.

I could only stay for Friday night, and enjoyed it very much. Not much to add to what has already been said. I thought that Dave Hill was on fire playing bass with the Fatties, and Diesel Doug's voice really impressed me in the saloon. Loved how Diesel Dog jammed out some of the songs they played. I thought that Battleship Ethel had a good thing going on, but I wasn't really in the mood for it so I chose to use some of that time to visit with some people I hadn't seen in a while.

Bummer about the lunatic psycho guy ...

Wish I could have caught some of the music on Saturday and Sunday, but had to get back to KW.

Peace, Mark

a beautiful weekend, couldn't have ordered better weather, great skies, breazy

glad Rick kicked that dude and his friends out sat morning, no need for that in amongst such a great vibed gathering

otherwise was lots of seasoned ghost towners on hand and plenty of second generation pickin up any slack... superb crowd overall

enjoyed Curry Guns and Maple Syrup while setting up the tent... Dave was indeed on a tangent Fri night in the Fat Cats, was a great performance all round... figured Battleship Ethel would be fully in their element in the saloon and so they were, was simply in awe under the sonic barrage they laid down... Diesel Dog in the saloon, what can you say, its like the place was built for em

Steve Murphy band were just the ticket to get myself goin again on Sat (I think, wait, yeah ok, saturday ;) ) (Ricky-Ticky-Ticky-Tava)... enjoyed Electroluminescent as always although wish he had a later slot, is a little spaced out for dinner time... BA Johnston brought it on home, belly laughter non-stop... United Steelworkers played a nice sweet set

think that was the best Surly Young Bucks set I've seen, Good Rev is really developing a really nice touch on that pedal steel... enjoyed Gruve alot (though had a few personal moments in the land of dizzy)... Mark Wilson and company definately showed their experience with a super solid set, with Aaron adding a really nice element

Circuit Breaker were another local band I was proud to see truly rockin the stage, amazing all the way around... Woodhands, hey how often do you see someone play a key-taur... and mean it ?

was my first Passenger experience and enjoyed it a lot... once Chameleon Project got going was a great close-out

plus the seemingly endless good times on the side! here and there, between and at

great to meet lots of new faces and throw down with my friends

:thumbup: :cool: !!!

Curry Guns and Maple Syrup

when did these guys play? I thought it was Friday night, but I didn't see them.

I wasn't really digging the Battleship Ethel, I thought they came straight out of someones garage, Diesel Dog was choice though, I don't even remember leaving that night, I recall being told we were leaving at 330 at the latest, but I'm pretty sure it was around 5.

As for the lunatic, I'd put money on it being Bobby Jones, I'm wearin a jock strap to all future shows.

Curry Guns and Maple Syrup
when did these guys play?

were the first band Friday evening... nice warm up for the weekend, not overwhelming

loved the ethel... early floyd, early sabbath all came from the garage... the battleship does everything they can to stay in the garage, fame haters so far

wasn't the Jones man making the stink in the back woods... wish that screamin dude had've brought his rage into the saloon... sure the crowd would've been happy to accommodate him

though jock strap for the next Bobby J run in sounds bout right (damn that smack hurt)

What a blast this past weekend!! It was amazing to be back and see some great friends from over the years....every band rocked me this year. Great lineup!

Fatties kicked my ass on Friday night as well as Diesel Dog in the Saloon Holy Fack that was a long night!!

It was awesome to get up on stage a rock out a few tunes with Steve Murphy on Saturday afternoon...that definately gave me a kick start to the day!

Alun Piggins was one of my highlights in the afternoon Sunday in the Saloon, man he was awesome.

Ultra Magnus were also incredible.....you can never go wrong with a horn section.

Sunday came way too fast........and the next thing I know is I'm being carted around in a wheel barrow Monday morning by Marge and Murphy with my bottle of JD and my Mexican wrestling mask.........

WHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

n513430798_28957_2440.jpg

Cheers to you all!!!

I had so much fun! united steal workers put on an awesome show! Fat Cats, Deisel Dog, Chameleon Project, Passenger, B A Johnson -wow, enjoyed them all! I also had alot of fun having good times with many friends. Twisty arm game, skipping and "the duck" were sooo much fun!

Cheers to the music and the fun!!!