Jambands.ca

Sigh...

Dr_Evil_Mouse

I'm stuck for a thread topic here, frankly.

Some of you here may remember Doug Duminie, an Algonquin prof who was here (Calamity-Mouse-house) for a party back in the summer, who was a regular at Kelly's in Manotick (he did more than anyone to make me feel at home running the open-mic there), and who was a perennial tour-de-force, older-than-dirt, vanguard-hippie-grown-yet-beyond, irreplaceable institution at the college. I got news just now that he has just passed away, after an alarmingly brief struggle with cancer that started to take him down around mid-summer. I can't dream of being as good a mentor to anyone than he was to me over the past year; the man gave off a palpable glow of good energy, depth of experience, authenticity, and no-bullshit humanity that any teacher worth their salt would envy. He was the real deal. I'm going to miss him deeply; I would give anything to hear him tell just one more story.

I would wish that good vibes be sent to his family, friends, former students, and colleagues.

DougDuminie.jpg

Edited by Guest
Pic found

Thanks, folks. He's someone who affected a staggering number of lives at the college, and elsewhere, and what hurts most is that he'll no longer be doing more of what he did best - along with being a good person and good friend.

You know when you get that feeling, that if you could just find the right groove, the right rhythm, then you could change the world? He'd actually found it, and it was in teaching, and he'd refined it over decades. Funnily, he'd just started to turn back to music (he'd just bought a new guitar, in fact, and had been working away at learning about the best ways to approach setup).

There's a parallel space between teaching and musicianship, and I've been trying to find ways right now to express it, but he lived it.

The son of a bitch. I miss him.