Jambands.ca

Tips for sleeping in?

YearsAlongTheSea

So, I've fallen into this pattern of waking up really early for work, and by really early I mean 6 a.m. I'm finding that on weekends, and even if I get a day off, I'm still waking up within an hour of my 'routine' departure from the bed(womb).

I know this topic has been taken for a spin and I've always said eat some pharmies, puff some herb and hit the hay, but I'm looking for something else, either to supplement or flat out replace my angle here. If you have any secret tricks up your sleeve, I'd love a few takes on another solution...

Thanks in advance and sweet dreams... ;)

I don't think there's much you can do to sleep in other than stay up really, really late the night before. Drinking will not help. Trying to re-adjust your body-clock is a difficult task and it is a gradual thing for most people.

I work shifts: 2 weeks 7am to 7pm and then a weekend turnaround followed by 2 weeks 7pm to 7am. I'm basically jet-lagged every two weeks. I can't sleep longer than 7 hours.

One sure-fire method of sleeping in is hanging out at Booche's place on a Friday or Saturday. The tunes, TV and beer only gets better after 2am.

i get up every day for work at 4-30, so i hear you about the body clock thing on the weekends. in fact, i got up at 5 30 today to take a wizz just because my bodies used to being up around then doing that.

i have a real hard time getting back to sleep, once my mind really starts turning, im up no matter what time it is, sometimes if i just smoke one right away when im up too early, itll put me back out, only if its the heavy smoke though, like the K9 or something.

have you tried valerian root pills? they leave me pretty dopey in the mornings, im sure you could sleep longer with them

YATS, maybe you could try sleeping at other times (i.e., napping)? Both out of habit and to keep a reasonably stable meal schedule, I tend to get up at about the same time every weekday, with maybe a half an hour or so of extra sleep-in time on the weekends. Like Tooly, once my minds kicks into gear, I'm awake, and really can't get back to sleep, but I am able to nap for a couple of hours on most weekend afternoons, which helps a lot.

Aloha,

Brad

You could come to work with me (laying sod) 60 + hrs per week..... guaranteed sleepin' in come Saturday morn.

I can sleep anywhere, anytime...... in a work truck (sometimes driving), watchin tv, drinking a beer, on the stairs, reading kids bedtime stories, mid sentence( this one really bugs my wife).

i find as i age...it gets harder to sleep in...gone are the days i would sleep to 3 in the afternoon,...

however, i find if i get up early, and want to go back to bed i will shower, and then lie back down. kinda like psyching myself out i guess. my body feels the shower which it equls to going to work, then i just go back to sleep. make any sense?

you must be older than 35 as thats about the time you start, your whole body changes, so you are in the change of life

I've also heard that, as people age, their need for sleep decreases; a lot of senior citizens complain to their doctors about "insomnia," when it's just the natural/expected reduction in the amount of sleep they need. Some seniors' residences have taken this into account and dramatically cut back on the amount of sleep medication they presctibe and give out, and have seen a dramatic decrease in the number and severity of accidents due to things like falls and loss of balance.

Your body will tell you what it needs: if you're tired, it'll demand that you sleep; if you're functioningly awake, you probably don't need (much) more sleep than you're getting.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest
I really didn't need that to be in italics.

Some seniors' residences have taken this into account and dramatically cut back on the amount of sleep medication they presctibe and give out, and have seen a dramatic decrease in the number and severity of accidents due to things like falls and loss of balance.

Are you telling me I can walk into most any old age home, find a surplus of 'sleepy-time' pharmies, and waltz out with a nice little personal stockpile?

Time to visit grandma...

self hypnosis can help you program yourself to sleep deeper or longer (on any given night) if you figure out how to work it... worth reading up on a little for interest's sake one way or the other

(had a stint with self hypnosis after reading an early nineties OMNI magazine about it... works, though can be a little weird to figure out at first)