Jambands.ca

Gord Downie and The Sadies tonight

AD

Wow... Saw Gord Downie and The Sadies play together for this Saturday's broadcast of CBC's Fuse... Second best show I've seen all year.

Short show (only 8 songs) but that quality was top notch, the song selection was great, and I was 2 feet from Dallas and 4 feet from Gord the whole time. It's a real treat to see Gord in action, he is totally into everything he's doing. He looks good in front of 20,000 people, and he looked better in front of 80. So relaxed but sooo good at what he does. Both he and The Sadies are perfectionists - it took two takes to nail some songs the way they wanted (sounded fine to me) and Gord was quite disappointed that he missed the last line to the Sadies' 'Flash' but Dallas said to keep it in.

The interviews were all hilarious and Gord was highly complimentary and I think The Sadies were taken aback by the niceties of him. Dallas continually called out the host for interupting the flow of things and 'jinxing the songs' before they were ever played.

Got to talk to Gord a bit afterwards and he's super nice, wanted to meet everyone in the crowd. Posed for pictures, explained lyrics and parts of albums (a good story about Shakey someone on the Bruins and a snippet of an old Bruins album on either a Hip or Gord CD)...

Also, he played with my sideburns (the left one) and called them "impressive" and "meaty"

Setlist

Gord Downie on vocals for all songs, Sadies on everything else. Brackets indicate songwriter.

Over The Neptune (Guided By Voices) ->

Figment (Gord Downie)

The First Inquisition / Flash (Sadies)

Too Far Gone (Neil Young)

I Will Rock and Roll With You (Johnny Cash)

I Have Always Been Here Before (Roky Erickson) (fuck yeah)

Fire in the Hole (Hip)

Search and Destroy (Stooges)

This was a once in a long-time event, and it was sooooo good. It'll be on CBC Radio One this Saturday afternoon at 3 PM.

DSCN1994.jpg

DSCN1998.jpg

DSCN1995.jpg

dollars to donuts you are blackballed now. they were talking about people that won and didn't show up (you weren't the only one) and they were not happy about it. it's a real shame you missed it too - coulda got much better pics that i did as a bonus to the music.

hartamophone - best show all year was bjork at sasquatch. but i fully expect neil young to take the number one slot on the 26th.

I guess it never occured to me that the day I meet AD, he WON'T look exactly like Freddy Mercury.

who knows, maybe my looks will take a turn for the better... or worse... I dunno. Keep your fingers crossed though. I've been working on my overbite.

Also - The Sadies are playing Kingston tonight, and Gord was heading back there last night.... Perhaps he'll join them tonight too.

dollars to donuts you are blackballed now. they were talking about people that won and didn't show up (you weren't the only one) and they were not happy about it. it's a real shame you missed it too - coulda got much better pics that i did as a bonus to the music.

hartamophone - best show all year was bjork at sasquatch. but i fully expect neil young to take the number one slot on the 26th.

To be fair, I got the email late last week about the contest and it was an email contest. They didn't even attempt an alternate contact method. They should have setup something with maybe a PHONE NUMBER for notification for something this important.

in fact, I did include my phone number in my entry.

Oh woe is me.

I was also VERY dissapointed not to win tickets especially if there were a bunch of no shows! My girlfriend and I both entered via 2 of the 3 options and both were shut out. We've been to Fuse shows before and haven't bailed on anything so I don't think it was previous precedent thing on our part.

I wonder if the lack of no shows could be attributed to airing the contest entry on all in a day. This way you are more less guaranteed to be inundated by casual office CBC listeners who would easily know that the HIP played bluesfest, could send an email super quick without even thinking about whether they could attend on what ws relatively short notice.

Anyway - I'm glad it turned out to be the show I was expecting for those who were fortunate enough to go. I just wish there was a way to see if you have been mistakenly blacklisted or something...I guess asking would be as good as start as any.

This post turned out much longer than I anticipated so I think I am more dissapointed than I thought.

To be fair, I got the email late last week about the contest and it was an email contest. They didn't even attempt an alternate contact method. They should have setup something with maybe a PHONE NUMBER for notification for something this important.

in fact, I did include my phone number in my entry.

Oh woe is me.

Maybe they should have sent a limousine?

perhaps the term 'blackballed' or 'blacklisted' isn't the best - i was just reporting that the grumbling heard from CBC employess showed that they were not at all impressed that there were no-shows.

i have no knowledge of any kind of blacklisting - but given what the CBC staffers were saying I wouldn't be surprised. I hope it's not the case though.

I wouldn't expect an alternate notification method from an email contest.

They should have some kind of "confirmation" scheme with the e-mails, e.g., each e-mail contains a (unique) URL you have to click to confirm you've received it (a lot of message boards work this way, to limit the number of spammers that join). If you don't click/confirm within, say, a day or two, it "expires" and you'll be considered to be not attending, with your spaces going to the next person on the list of people on "standby."

Aloha,

Brad