Jambands.ca

Ice Storm 1998

rubberdinghy

It started 10 years ago today...

Anyone have any stories...

Me, not too much, other than going to the pool hall, hoping the power would go out, after playing a couple of games, so we wouldn't have to pay (which it did a couple of times), then getting pulled over for being out after curfew.

Edited by Guest

I was in Kingston that year. A friend of mine had power the whole time, so I grabbed my cats and moved in there. She is also an incredible cook/baker, and law school was cancelled throughout the storm.

To say the least, I was well-fed and had a great time.

I suffered a bit of damage to my car due to a branch landing on it the first day, and got some amazing photos driving around through carnage, including live down power-lines, and I did show up at school that day before a police-line went up to prevent anyone from getting there, but otherwise I quite enjoyed "Ice Storm 1998"â„¢.

Living in Hamilton I wasn't effected by it really, but being an electrician my union hall sent a bunch of people who wanted to go up to Kingston to work for a few weeks at 7/12s. Padded my bank account perfectly, which in the spring I took full advantage of and took four months off to travel and canoe up north before starting my next run of rad treatments. :thumbup:

I was living at Richmond and Bathurst at the time, and it was a pretty relaxed storm. The awning on the front of my house fell in, and we lost power for a couple of hours, but all in all not too bad....the craziest part was seeing the army rollling downtown T.O. Panicked eveyone pretty good.

I was in Kingston. Ice was everywhere. Many animals escaped from the local zoo. There were wolves and lions everywhere. My buddy Teddy was mauled by a Tiger. It was one of those rare white tigers, not your everyday black and orange. Thankfully I got his wallet so I could buy more booze to keep warm.

After lacing up my skates I motored over to Booches place. We drank vast amounts of liquor to keep ourselves from freezing to death. We played with Booches NES. There was no power and nothing on the screen but with the amount of booze flowing through out system our imaginations were in overdrive. Daveyboy made us sandwiches from the corpses we encountered on the roadsides.

Over all I have fond memories of the ice storm.

I was living on the Carp Rd. The transformer blew in front of my house starting the trees on fire. I did'nt think they would burn very long since they were covered in ice. After 5 days I moved into a hotel in town. The hotel was filled with every O.P.P. officer in Ont. Fortunatly my power was back on the next day.

I was in Kingston, working at McPoopie's. We hopped from store to store, transferring food. That sucked.

My apartment had power back within 2-3 days....at which point my living room was filled with people...some I knew, some I didn't.

As horrible as it was for many people, the view sure was pretty...everything sparkled and it was so quiet (aside from the snapping trees).

icestorm23gm.jpg

Crazy stuff.

This is why I just purchased a nice high powered generator and had an electrician install a switch panel for it. If the power goes, I start 'er up and flip a switch to go from municipal power to generator and presto! I can run my furnace, fridge, microwave and a bunch of lights and outlets.

A guy I know in town says the power goes out every winter, last year for 5 days straight.