Jambands.ca

Asheville bound! / Asheville log

captainsunshine

Hey y'all! Baj and I just returned from a heady trip to Asheville, North Carolina, and I am super duper excited to announce that we're moving there!!!

A big Congratulations to Baj, who landed an amazing job there, making it possible for our move!

It was a whirlwind of a visit.. We caught 2 DSO shows there (and one in Roanoke, VA on the way down), and they were awesome! (we'll be posting some pics and setlists later..) Along with the DSO shows, we hiked in the Great Smoky Mountains, met some friendly folks, found our way around town, wandered into some weirdly fun situations, and even had time to secure a house to rent!

What an amazing city, and I'm super pumped to be keeping Asheville weird!

It seemed like all the planets were aligned to ensure the headiest of times while we were there.. Asheville is known as the happiest city in North America (and on earth in some listings!), and I can definitely feel the vibe!

WooooooooooHooooooooo! We're so excited!!!

:);):P :crazy: :cool: !!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words :) We are so estatic at the outcome of our trip !!! I knew I had an interview and that was about it... our plan was to hit a three night run of DSO and to check out the area to possibly move there and everything just fell into place... two words to describe Asheville which is a quote from a movie we watched at our friend Rich's the night before we left his place in Connecticut called Trips Festival... "Pretty Impressed" :D if you have ever seen the movie you will know what I'm talking about...if you have not seen it I highly recommend it.

Ol'Hickster - doubt it but I'm sure we will cross paths one of these dayz...

phorbesie - that would be great, shoot us a pm.

bouche - its an amazing job to us since we thought it was going to be harder for me being a canadian to get a job down there... I am now an engineering design technician for an international compamy that produces printing transfer supplies for the graphic printing industry(magazines etc.) I'll be working in their reasearch and development dept.

Afropoppa- You better be growing that fro back for the roadtrip...

Here are some pics

DSO - Roanoke show

DSC03452.jpg

DSC03501.jpg

DSC03488.jpg

Virgina whitecapped mountains on our way to Asheville

DSC03536.jpg

DSO - Asheville - show 1 - with the Code Talkers opening - WOW they ROCKED, missed them everytime they hit SoOn, so glad I finally caught them.

DSC03547.jpg

another bonus was Rob Barraco rippin' up the keys with them...it was super high energy

DSC03558.jpg

DSC03562.jpg

the venue was cool cause of THIS

DSC03539.jpg

DSC03540.jpg

DSC03622.jpg

DSC03610.jpg

Mmmmmmmmm Heady Terrapin Beer

DSC03656.jpg

DSO - Asheville - show 2

DSC03664.jpg

DSC03675.jpg

DSC03695.jpg

Great "SMOKY" ;) Mountains

DSC03709.jpg

DSC03711.jpg

DSC03722.jpg

DSC03729.jpg

DSC03756.jpg

DSC03776.jpg

The moral of this story we learned was "Don't Postpone Joy"

DSC03567.jpg

Oh and L's Yum :P

DSC03780.jpg

DSC03784.jpg

Hooray !!!

Seeya in Asheville :)

Here's the setlists!

February 27, 2008 -- Roanoke, VA

Show recreation from 6/19/76, Capital Theatre, Passiac, NJ

1: Help> Slipknot> Franklin's> Music Never Stopped, B. E. Women, Cassidy, They Love Each Other, Looks Like Rain, Tennessee Jed, Playin in the Band

2: Might As Well, Samson and Delilah, High Time, Let It Grow> Drums> Let It Grow> Dancin in the Streets> Cosmic Charlie, Around and Around> Going Down the Road Feelin Bad> One More Saturday Night

Encore: Not Fade Away

Filler: Masterpiece*, Good Lovin'*

Notes: *with Chopper (a local guy that rocked the house Bobby style!)

February 28, 2008 -- Asheville, NC (first night)

Show recreation from 03/22/87, Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, VA

1: Hell in a Bucket> Sugaree, It's All Over Now, West L. A. Fadeaway, El Paso, When Push Comes to Shove, Cassidy, Deal

2: Sugar Magnolia> Scarlet Begonias> Fire on the Mountain> Estimated Prophet> Drumz> Wheel> Black Peter> Sunshine Daydream

Encore: Baby Blue

Filler: The Weight*

Notes: *with Lisa - The Codetalkers opened

February 29, 2008 -- Asheville, NC (second night)

Show recreation from 03/23/87, Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, VA

1: Touch of Grey, Little Red Rooster, Althea, Me & My Uncle> Big River, Iko Iko, Tons Of Steel, Feel Like a Stranger, Don't Ease Me In

2: Box Of Rain> Man Smart/Woman Smarter, Ship Of Fools, Truckin> Drumz> The Other One> Stella Blue> Throwing Stones> Turn on Your Lovelight

Encore: U. S. Blues

Filler: Unbroken Chain*

Notes: *with Lisa

What a heady 3-night run!

According to Wikipedia:

Asheville pops up on national rankings for a variety of things: Modern Maturity named it one of "The 50 Most Alive Places To Be," AmericanStyle magazine called it one of "America's Top 25 Arts Destinations," Self magazine labeled it the "Happiest City for Women," it is one of AARP Magazine's "Best Places to Reinvent Your Life," and was proclaimed the "New Freak Capital of the U.S." by Rolling Stone. Asheville has also been called "a New Age Mecca" by CBS News' Eye On America, and named the "most vegetarian-friendly" small city in America by PETA. In the 2008 book The Geography of Bliss, by Eric Weiner, Asheville was cited by the author to be the "happiest place in the United States."

How heady is that?? Yay! So excited!

woot woot woot

Tigger you Becky and Bella and whoever else just gotta tour on down brotha...whoooooooooooooooooo

Hope you guys are doin great and we party soon !!!

Thanks Northern Wish that would be great of you, any connections are much appreciated :)

Thanks for trying, phorbesie! :)

Northern Wish, I definitely will try to check that out, it sounds almost as fun as when we stumbled into a roller skating disco party in NYC.. And we'll definitely be down there by then, the Disco Biscuits play Asheville on 4/20! Yay!

I'm still super excited, and I hope that a heady road trip will be in the works for some of y'all!

Looking at jambase's festival schedule, it looks like there's a lot of amazing festy's lined up for the summer.. Including Shakori Hills Grassroot Festival, Revolution Festival, Merlefest, French Broad River Festival, Lake Eden Arts Festival, Smoky Mountain Bluegrass Festival, Asheville Music Jamboree, Bele Chere, The Gathering of the Peacemakers, and more!

Jambase festivals - Southeast region

I'm ready!

:):):)