Jambands.ca

china and the olympics

phishtaper

Question: Given China's abysmal record on human rights and its recent attacks on the people of Tibet, should Canada boycott the Olympic Games being held in China this summer?

my $0.02: No. It would be unjust to our athletes to simply not attend the games but our uniforms should be altered to display some sort of protest and we should not attend the opening ceremonies.

your $0.02?

Agreed. Boycotting the Olympics would just be hypocritical considering the vast amount of business the world does with China every minute of every day.

I'm pretty sure China doesn't hold a monopoly on human rights abuse. Most countries involved in the Olympics have some dirt (or is that blood?) under their nails, if you care to look.

As I see it, the Olympics are a way for us to attempt to transcend politics for a few weeks and celebrate healthy competition.

As stated already, the best way to boycott is economical, but then it's all of us that get inconvenienced, not just stellar athletes.

As I see it, the Olympics are a way for us to attempt to transcend politics for a few weeks and celebrate healthy competition.

As stated already, the best way to boycott is economical, but then it's all of us that get inconvenienced, not just stellar athletes.

An economical boycott of China would be useless anyways. If China holds as much of our debt as 'they' claim, it would in our best interest to show up. Boycotting the game could be the underlying excuse the global leaders are looking for to start their next big war.

save the current intense action going down in tibet, nothing has really changed in china since they were awarded the honour of hosting the olympics. as such, i think calling for any kind of national or international boycott is pretty half-baked and weak at this point in the game. these protests should have been started when the olympic committee was working out their decision. if i recall correctly there was some protest, but there wasn't much buy-in. let's blame the media for the response to these protests - then and now.

if you feel strongly enough about it, don't go to China to watch the games, to visit as a tourist in the future, and definitely do everything you can to not support them in your day to day life.

mounting your own positive campaign is also a great idea. for example, triggered by recent events, but speaking to my frustration with a thousand conflicts around the world (including of course the messes Canada maintains), i went out and made myself a tshirt:

one world

one people

one love

doin what i can to spread the positive vibrations. :)

The only boycott that should happen, and the only boycott that would have any real results, is for us (North American consumers) to stop buying crap that's made in China!

This would really bring that country (not to mention Walmart) to its knees.

Western Economies have far more to lose when we do this as most of the profits are not held in China.

What would be better but entirely unjust would be stop exporting the raw materials that China needs to build and produce...say, copper. Stop selling them copper, sulfur, and lumber.

Those 3 things would drive China to rape their own country in the name of progress even more than they have and would significantly harm their billion residents.

then when they free Tibet (yeah...with some of the world's strongest uranium deposits in the plateau and some of the world's strongest rivers?? no chance) we can lift those trade sanctions and raise our prices.

and profit from their misfortune.

Or we could just change our uniforms, not appear in the opening ceremonies and suggest to our athletes that it wouldn't be a heartbreaker if they didn't compete and those that would win would not dishonour Canada by casually commenting in their interviews that the chinese government could never have forcefully occupied Tibet, that a cultural genocide is destroying a strong culture that the world has lost out on for the past 60 years, and that the conquest of the ceiling of the world is based purely in greed.

Then when China starts their war based on the Olympics that they would have no political clout because they got pissed off at what olimpic athletes brought to light. People in aerodynamic tights that run and throw and swim and jump.

Western Economies have far more to lose when we do this as most of the profits are not held in China.

Western economies were doing just fine when we made our own clothing, electronics, toys, pet food, and household goods. Everything was of much better quality and safer too.

What I'm proposing (a boycott of goods made in China) is just wishful thinking. It ain't gonna happen in a society where shopping is like religion.

Freak - We're not making those things, and we weren't making huge profits because of cheap labour.

It's not the olden days.

I think it was all much better, products were made to last, and many cultures were not as touched by the west...

Perhaps the uniform change should include banana hammocks. Humiliate China!