Jambands.ca

Unemployed!

bradm

I know this is a bit twisted' date=' but getting a severence package is a lifetime dream of mine (one I'm confident I will never see realized). Again, congrats.[/quote']

Todd, I've been with the same company for 8 years now. You're thoughts are not twisted at all.

All i can think of these days, now that i have 5 years engineering experience under my belt, is quitting my crappy ass job here and finding a new one where there are mountains so i can snowboard my life away. :)

I recently had a conversation with a new colleague of mine who gave me some interesting insight. She's just had her fourth (and probably final) kid, and is basically at the point in her career where she's proven herself as much as she needs to. I'd guess she's over 40 years old. Anyhow, she and her family just decided to take next year as a "gap year" and spend most of it travelling aruond the world and volunteering. She figures that at this point in her life she'll really get a lot out of it, and in later years she might not be able to do those types of things. Might be worth considering considering the somewhat enviable circumstances you find yourself in!

Guest Low Roller

With a year of severance, this may be an opportunity to jump into the start-up business. Changing routine is always hard, so "bummer" to that, but perhaps you should see this as a chance to create the Bradm Inc. that you've always dreamed of. Or sleep it away, whatever works. ;)

Wow, that's awesome Brad good for you. I've also had a couple of reset buttons pressed recently and I'm happier for it after the shock and the surprise wears off.

You should "sell out"* and see about working for Live Nation. Might not be able to do it from Ottawa but they'd probably be interested in your years of recording, archiving, sharing. Hell they'd probably hire you as a consultant!

*There's no such thing as selling out IMO.

Wow, that's awesome Brad good for you. I've also had a couple of reset buttons pressed recently and I'm happier for it after the shock and the surprise wears off.

You should "sell out"* and see about working for Live Nation. Might not be able to do it from Ottawa but they'd probably be interested in your years of recording, archiving, sharing. Hell they'd probably hire you as a consultant!

*There's no such thing as selling out IMO.

"We would have been happy to sell out, but nobody was buying."

-Jerry Garcia

Congrats !!!

Going through this myself I know the feeling

and it was a GREAT free feeling...definately the best feeling workwise I've ever had and a much better feeling than being offered a job...

Anyway definately take this as a sign to look to the future for the change that being employed may have held you back from...

We were able to move here to Asheville and am so grateful that I got the push I needed.

Best of luck :)

So, what have you been doing?

Not much beyond the usual; it's almost as if I'm in the midst of a string of several statutory holidays. I'm thinking about having a nice lunch downtown (ideally on a patio) tomorrow.

Have you been sleeping in?

A bit. I'm not a big in-sleeper (largely due to wanting to keep a fairly regular meal schedule), but I'm getting up later than I was when I was working. Yesterday's afternoon nap wasn't successful, so we'll see how it goes this afternoon.

Do you feel rich?

I feel comfortable.

Aloha,

Brad