Weirdness

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, awesome news.

(Full stop).

I do think it's too bad that they are playing a relatively small venue for their first few shows. Knowing how big demand is, and how much of a problem ticketless hordes were towards the end, one would think they would be inclined to play one of the bigger arenas to try and minimize scalping and parking-lot overflow, no? I realize that there would be scalping and overflow no matter where the first show takes place, but Hampton just seems like an odd place for it.

Awesome, awesome news.

(Full stop).

I do think it's too bad that they are playing a relatively small venue for their first few shows. Knowing how big demand is, and how much of a problem ticketless hordes were towards the end, one would think they would be inclined to play one of the bigger arenas to try and minimize scalping and parking-lot overflow, no? I realize that there would be scalping and overflow no matter where the first show takes place, but Hampton just seems like an odd place for it.

Interestingly, it doesn't say in plain language that Hampton will be "the first" of the three shows. Who knows....

They likely are. And the reason for doing it this way is likely to build up the e-mail lists and show the powers that be that they are still going to sell out shows in these trying economic times where so many big barns are not sold out. Hampton is a sure thing to sell-out and then they can book the big places for the rest of their tours...

I don't remember, but were the last few tours sold out?

I have to confess, the whole thing excites me a lot more than I would have expected. I just wish I knew if I was going to get a pre-first hiatus phish or a post-first hiatus phish. I'd love to see 90's phish. But I'd hate to waste a vacation on the post-hiatus version...

how is a 14,000 seat arena considered a small venue?

I said relatively small. As MoMack said, it's notably smaller than any of the other big indoor venues that they'd played in the years leading up to the "break up." I would just have thought that they would want to maximize the number of people who could get in (without playing a stadium or festival) in order to minimize other issues (scalping, ticketless fans, etc.).

I do think it's too bad that they are playing a relatively small venue for their first few shows.

I think playing a small venue is totally the right move. The big ones will (maybe) come later. Imagine playing to 50,000 and not finding their chemistry. Screw that, ease into it and see what they have first.

I just wish I knew if I was going to get a pre-first hiatus phish or a post-first hiatus phish. I'd love to see 90's phish. But I'd hate to waste a vacation on the post-hiatus version...

I think it will be neither. You can't go back but with the problems that have plagued everyone I think you will see a sharper, more comtempative JEMP.

Edited by Guest

In other news, my sources tell me that due to Trey's suckiness over the past years, Radiohead's Johnny Greenwood is going to be brought in for support on guitar for the upcoming Phish shows. Also, apparently during the setbreaks there will be a steel cage match between Count Chocula and The Loch Ness Monster versus Boo Berry and The Yeti. You heard it here first kids...