Jambands.ca

Who here wears a helmet when they ski/snowboard?

Cully

I was at Blue Mountain this week, and I couldn't believe how many people still ski/snowboard without a helmet. I know that a lot of people have the, "it won't happen to me" mentality, but it surprises me how many educated people don't wear one. Some of my friends won't wear one because of style, and others cause they are stubborn.

I worked with some individuals who have brain injuries, and have seen what can happen first hand. Pretty scary actually, how one blow to the head can change your life forever. I just wonder why so man folks don't think of the consequences.

Every time I pick up my helmet and see all the dings/marks, I am so happy that I have one!

I am just wondering what folks here think of the issue. Do you think that helmets will be manditory soon? I hope so...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out here in colorado, I think everyone should for sure wear one. There's much more dangerous terrain and such around here. But even helmets won't always save you. 2 people in CO so far this year have died from hitting trees while wearing helmets, you can still get severe head and neck injuries, but of course, your chances are much better of surviving with a helmet. It doesn't matter how could a skiier or boarder you are, you could still hit a patch of ice or bump that you can't see and could send you outta control. Plus i think helmets keep your hfead warmer than hats alone!

What really surprises me around here is the number of people that go backcountry skiing without the proper equipment... beacons, probes shovels; especially this yera because the avalnche risk is very high this year.

i started wearing a helmet two years ago. I make my kids wear helmets, and I fugured that i should take my own advice. No matter how good a skier you are, somebody else can hit you. (Someone ran into my 6 yr old today at Camp fortune, for example. actually broke a piece on his binding.)

And I know a really good skiier who had a major wipeout on Hegtveit a couple of years ago when he misjudged the edge due to the lighting conditions.

Oh my...people wear helmets now on ski hills?! Times have changed! When I skied, it wasn't even an option! Do people still drink beer on chairlifts? Betcha you can't get away with that anymore!

You can, just gotta be sneaky. I find carrying a flask is much more convenient, and yet another reason I wear a helmet!

No matter how good a skier you are, somebody else can hit you.

And I know a really good skiier who had a major wipeout on Hegtveit a couple of years ago when he misjudged the edge due to the lighting conditions.

ummmmmmmmm........ accidents can happen to anyone........ skill has absolutely nothing to do with the reasons for or against wearing a helmet.

when I snowboard, I like to ride at the edge of my capabilities, which keeps me pushing my limits, improving and I enjoy going for the adrenaline... it also means I fall a lot.

Just after the rain over the holidays, I seriously whacked my head on hard packed snow (basically ice) when I fell over backwards when going at a good speed. I was very happy to have my helmet on and rode away with just a sore ego.

I also like to go off the trails and zip around in the powder in the woods. I've hit a tree or two in the past and wouldn't recommend trying that without a helmet.

A helmet may have saved my buddies life last year in Whistler. He hit some rocks, went down and rolled over a rock field. He broke many bones and had a pretty lengthy hospital stay, but luckily, no head injuries b/c of his helmet. That being said, I've never wore a helmet on the hill and I used to be a mad man out there.

So you can't rent them?

I wonder why not. It'd be totally worth it for the hill.

i don't know about other hills, but you can rent helmets at Edelweiss (near Ottawa). you can buy a good one for under $100. i wouldn't feel comfortable in a rented helmet.

and yeah, like stonemtn said, my helmet is super comfortable, warm, and is wired with my ipod.

can anyone determine what the downside of wearing a helmet is? do you think anyone who's been in an accident where they hit their head has said 'man, i sure am glad i'm not wearing a helmet?'

Helmets are for people expecting a rough ride.

my .02

So are seatbelts for people expecting a car crash? Whether or not your wear a helmet is your own business (and like I said, I haven't yet started wearing one), but it would be foolish to expect to be able to avoid all crashes on the hill and always know when you're likely to have one. There are just too many factors at play aside from the individual skier/rider.