Jambands.ca

Who here wears a helmet when they ski/snowboard?

Cully

I didn't realize that I had become the odd man out for not wearing a helmet. I never really considered wearing a helmet. I guess mostly for the uncomfort factor. I still see ski/snoboard helmets as one of those newfangled contraptions. Can't teach an old dog new tricks?

I don't wear a bike helmet either. So there...

We now live in such a culture of fear and safety...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ski mostly back-country. I don't wear a helmet when I'm touring. Its a pain in the ass to carry and keep dry in the backpack on ascents. You have to grab shit out of your pack all the time while climbing, so its totally in the way.

Cat-skiing, snowmobile, and ski hill days. 100% helmet wearing. My helmet is super comfy and I don't trust other skiers.

Cat skiing is when you go uphill or move around in non-lift-accessed terrain by snowcat (big machines that transport people and gear in snow).

catSkiing1.jpg

similar to heli-skiing (you go places where you can't go on a chairlift) but cat skiing isn't limited by weather and clouds and is much cheaper.

s04_01.jpg

I've never been but am seriously considering taking the plunge in february while at revelstoke.

I used to hide Budweiser cans in every pocket of my ski jacket and drink as much as possible on the chairlift. Once, I puked when getting off the chairlift and had to push around snow with my skis to clean up the mess. That was night skiing; I think it was easier to get away with stuff at night.

quoted for general awesomeness

well, i've been to cypress, whistler and grouse in bc.... but all in the summer, hahaha

i haven't been anywhere in bc in winter.

I've been to Snowbird in Utah 3 times, it's amazing. Utah is cheaper to get to, better and more consistent snow, and much more variation in hills in a small geographic area.

Le Massif north of Quebec City is amazing too if you want to stay close to home. Ste-Anne too.

hey, thanks. i grew up on whistler, cypress, grouse, seymour, baker.....but haven't ventured too much beyond. only to big white and silver star once. we are gonna be in BC for the olympics and plan to spend a week in the interior snowboarding, so i'm looking for recommendations on those areas. let me know how your trip goes!

"So are seatbelts for people expecting a car crash? Whether or not your wear a helmet is your own business (and like I said, I haven't yet started wearing one), but it would be foolish to expect to be able to avoid all crashes on the hill and always know when you're likely to have one. There are just too many factors at play aside from the individual skier/rider."

Whether or not people wear their seatbelts isn't though.

Double standard?

what are you hitting your head on?

i have been on the hill since i was 4 (so 30 years) and never worn a helmet. great if you want to wear one. i don't plan on starting now.

Tree Branches! Aside from if you bail going very fast.

I started wearing one I think in '98 or '99 and now feel naked without it. It's probably more dangerous for me to wear one though.... It makes me feel indestructable and I ski way too fast. :)

I don't wear a helmet whilst biking or boarding but have never given much thought as to why. just don't.

I would love to listen to tunes while on the slopes, but listening to the sound of the board on the terrain is all part of the experience IMO. If you're out on a cloudy day and have trouble reading the contour of the slopes that day, the sound of the board on the ground is essential.

I love the 'shoosh'.

yeah, i like to hear my edges too, that part of the ride is pretty essential. sometimes i just listen to music in one ear so i have my uphill ear available for edges / people yelling etc. depends on conditions and busy-ness of the hill

I have heard the idea before that it is "unsafe" to wear an ipod while riding. Anyone who has ever said that totally changed their mind after riding with me.

First of all, I don't blast music in my ears. I can hear. Second, The Alpine Responsibility Code requires you to be aware of and avoid skiers/riders below you. You are not supposed to be trying to avoid people coming up behind you. Finally, no one would even suggest that deaf people shouldn't ski or ride.

It's a red herring argument. It sound like something, until you see a competent rider in action, wearing headphones, as is commonplace where I ride.