Jambands.ca

Who here wears a helmet when they ski/snowboard?

Cully

I would love to listen to tunes while on the slopes, but listening to the sound of the board on the terrain is all part of the experience IMO. If you're out on a cloudy day and have trouble reading the contour of the slopes that day, the sound of the board on the ground is essential.

I love the 'shoosh'.

How about a board/iSomething/helmet combo, with microphones (and/or some other kind of sensors) in the board (all the way along the outer edge, maybe, and/or on the middle of the underside of the board), wired up via the iSomething to give 5.1 Dolby surround-sound in the helmet? You could also add in either a heads-up digital display (on the helmet's visor) or a generated voice-over that'd give you info on your ride (speed, G force, etc.) as you went down the hill (with the ability to record the info and dump it to a computer for later analysis, as way race cars do now).

Aloha,

Brad

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second, The Alpine Responsibility Code requires you to be aware of and avoid skiers/riders below you. You are not supposed to be trying to avoid people coming up behind you.

True but there are lots of people that don't know or respect the code and lots of people that simply have no idea how to ski/board. You never get hit by another from below it's always above.

You also get rear-ended by cars from behind you. That is their liability, and nothing you can do about it.

I have never had the experience of jumping out of the way due to a noise I heard on the mountain from behind me, and it would be totally impractical to expect anyone to do so. That is why the Code is written that way. It makes practical sense.

That said, you can protect your head from injury if someone does hit you from behind. I would suggest a helmet, for that.

I just picked up from ebay one of these Chinese AIr Force helmets:

FIGHTERHELMETFRONT.jpg

I bought it mainly for wearing around the house on weekends but after this discussion, I think I'll bring it along the next time I go skiing. It's pretty sweet.. it has a clear visor you can pull down and/ or a tinted one.

AD - you'll dig Revelstoke. Its pretty impressive terrain. Its about 2.5hrs north of me. Remind me when you're about to do your trip - I might be convinced to come and spend a day up there.

Phorbsie - you'll get good riding in the west, but IMHO the best riding is in the kootenays - Revelstoke, Whitewater and Red Mountain.

FIGHTERHELMETFRONT.jpg

I bought it mainly for wearing around the house on weekends but after this discussion, I think I'll bring it along the next time I go skiing. It's pretty sweet.. it has a clear visor you can pull down and/ or a tinted one.

Too bad you didn't pick that badboy up before the Holidays....

I recentely used my ipod skiing for the first time and I'm completely sold. Was with 3 people who didn't even know I was listning to music. Was able to talk and listen on the chairlift. And never had to touch it all day, it just kept playing. Awsome!!!

BTW - TomFoolery: Relentless Couchmen is coming out for a little ski tour to the Kootenays.

Feb. 26 - Nelson

Feb. 27, 28 - Rossland.

Depends on how the avi is threatening your life.

If you were, say, swept through a bunch of trees or rocks and your head bounces on them - the helmet could buy you time.

If a small slide knocks your feet out from under you and you tumble over a cliff and hit your head - the helmet could save you.

If you're trapped and suffocate - no.

Tried some on last night but they all fit like shit. End of story.

That makes me sad my friend! Hopefully you will come around.

Honestly, when p.p. and I lived on the hill at Big White, it only took a couple falls, and glade runs to see why a helmet was so important!!

• 1 month later...

FIGHTERHELMETFRONT.jpg

I went skiing on the weekend.... wore the helmet. Guess what? I'm pretty sure it saved my life! I got going way too fast and lost control and fell hard directly onto my head. The helmet went flying off from the impact but only after taking the full force of the fall. I really didn't feel a thing.

Plus, people look at you like an alien with a Chinese air force helmet on.