Jambands.ca

Dead fan looses it on youtube! Priceless. (Not safe for work)

The Chameleon

This is from another board and is a more eloquent version of what a lot of us are trying to say:

I dunno. I am a bit upset myself. The dead business model is a bit different than other bands.

I pay a decent amount of my entertainment dollar over a long stretch of time to various dead related concerts.

ie. Phil, Bobby, etc. If a Dead related band is at a fest, It would be a deciding factor for me.

I buy shirts, cds, dvds etc .

I have seen multiple shows a year for over 20 years. I have traveled to see them.

Part of what I respected about them is that they understood their end of that model, and so did I. The prices were relatively low, and that was cool.

I know other bands charge that much, but to me, they are charging too much as well. I also understand that its worth what people are willing to pay for it, but I am on the hook for multiple times.

Also other bands have their principle players in them. Not so with the Dead. My favorite band was the GRATEFUL DEAD, not necessarily THE DEAD. People are not paying a hundo to see the Neil Young Band without Neil Young or Crosby Steilowicz, and Smith...

I enjoy going to see the Dead, have seen them, the other ones, etc. but if I had never heard the GRATEFUL DEAD, I probably would be much less forgiving when they trainwreck, mess up lyrics, or play lackluster sets.

My wife and I wanted to go to both Philly Shows. Thats $400 just in tix. Add another 40 for parking. Add another Hundred or to for party favors, beer and food, and I am up to $600!!! 600!!

Can I afford it? Yeah. Do I want to pay it? NO! will I? Maybe. But maybe I shouldnt. Maybe I can go see a smaller band with tighter chops for a fraction of the cost. We both arent going to both shows, thats for sure. Maybe I'll be a w00k and go to the lot and get fucked up. Why the fuck not. I dont see alot of respect coming from "the other ones" so why the hell not? Do I care about the scene anymore? NOPE. That party is raging on with or with out my old ass. Do the dead care about the scene? NOPE! Maybe I will be in the right place at the right time when some schnook who paid 200 hundred for he and his old lady and she cant go.

Maybe I will decide that I have given enough to this machine. I can go to The Gathering Of the Vibes for 200 bucks and have 3 days and nights of entertainment of top acts. I can go to moe.down and have 3 days and nights of bands. I can go see PHISH for 50!!! for christs sakes!!! I mean what the fuck?!?! Those kid would have paid anything, and Phish aint taking advantage of them, and the have all of their principle players!

I may have just spent enough on these guys. Might be time for me to step off the bus. Its looking more like a hamster wheel. Especially since it seems they are so sure that I will still run it.

FYI:

Myself and the Jaydawg sat down last night and did the math on how much the Dead stand to make vs. costs etc...

Approximately it breaks down like this:

2.3 million per show

40 million for the tour + Merch sales say 1.5 million

So the gross would be approx. 41.5 million...

After production costs, taxes, venue fees etc...

I am guessing each member walks away with 2-3 million...

This is the money they need to live out their days...that's my guess...

P.S. I agree MoMack, I having seen the GRATEFUL DEAD, like you, makes the whole thing even harder to swallow...this certianly ain't the Grateful Dead anymore. Kind of ironic when you think about it they dropped Grateful from thier name and are acting less "Grateful" to their fans all the time.

Edited by Guest

How did you arrive at 2.3 million per show?

I'm curious about that too. Maybe that is an estimate with their concession cut, and it also assumes a near sell out.

Regardless - they're making bank.

And they have the dough to live out their lives already - GDP is still bringing in millions a year I'm sure - no too mention all the talk of the motion picture..

This is from another board and is a more eloquent version of what a lot of us are trying to say:

My wife and I wanted to go to both Philly Shows. Thats $400 just in tix. Add another 40 for parking. Add another Hundred or to for party favors, beer and food, and I am up to $600!!! 600!!

I find it hilarious that in most of the bitching I've heard about Dead tickets, people add in the price of their drugs to come up with the total cost of a show. Rocking a show (relatively) sober would seem to save many people the cost of an entire ticket (or two tickets, in this guy's case), but it's apparently much easier to complain about ticket prices than it is to not get wasted at the show.

Edited by Guest

My wife and I wanted to go to both Philly Shows. Thats $400 just in tix. Add another 40 for parking. Add another Hundred or to for party favors' date=' beer and food, and I am up to $600!!! 600!!

[/quote']

I find it hilarious that in most of the bitching I've heard about Dead tickets, people add in the price of their drugs to come up with the total cost of a show. Rocking a show (relatively) sober would seem to save many people the cost of an entire ticket (or two tickets, in this guy's case), but it's apparently much easier to complain about ticket prices than it is to not get wasted at the show.

Have you heard Phil and Mickey sing? ;)

A good point that someone on another board mentioned, is that part of the problem here has to do with the band members trying to concentrate on just the music. Remember that GDP no longer exists. Under that corporation each member had veto power and all were deeply involved in all decision making. That model ended up being dysfunctional and resulted in lost of bad feelings between the band members. So the band members ceded all control for the business end of this tour to people like live nation and musictoday in this case. So, rather than GDP being responsible for the details, it was left up to livenation / musictoday. They signed a contract and walked away. Clearly that decision was not consequence free, nor could the results all have been foreseen. The system of checks and balances that existed under GDP did not exist. That was the tradeoff, allowing the boys to just concentrate on the music.

I care about the music. I’m willing to hold my nose with respect to the marketing around the tour, and go have a good time listening to the music (which I hope will be good).

Edited by Guest

I find it hard to believe that it's just about the music considering the vast majority of the songs they'll be playing are over 30 years old. Not to mention that they haven't played music together regularly for a long time as well.

I dunno.

Basically we took the price tiers per show and looked up the capacity for each show and extimated on a near sell-out basis (which may not be the case). When you do that you come up with about 2 million and change per show before you add in merch sales.

Even if they don't sell-out it is well over a million a show easily.

We used industry standard production costs and venue charges to figure out rough costs.

clearly' date=' from their experience in putting on herculean events.[/quote']

That too...

[color:purple]Watch for the next Chameleon Project tour where play 28,000 seaters and we'll be selling tickets for $300.oo with V.I.P access to our backstage and take home souvenirs of our sweat towels..

Ticket info soon. ;)

A good point that someone on another board mentioned, is that part of the problem here has to do with the band members trying to concentrate on just the music. Remember that GDP no longer exists. Under that corporation each member had veto power and all were deeply involved in all decision making. That model ended up being dysfunctional and resulted in lost of bad feelings between the band members. So the band members ceded all control for the business end of this tour to people like live nation and musictoday in this case. So, rather than GDP being responsible for the details, it was left up to livenation / musictoday. They signed a contract and walked away. Clearly that decision was not consequence free, nor could the results all have been foreseen. The system of checks and balances that existed under GDP did not exist. That was the tradeoff, allowing the boys to just concentrate on the music.

I care about the music. I’m willing to hold my nose with respect to the marketing around the tour, and go have a good time listening to the music (which I hope will be good).

I don't buy that one either. Sure, they couldn't get a long and there is no more GDP. But, they sold that to us as making sure that everything gets preserved etc.

Most big bands don't do their own business me thinks. They simply hire GOOD PEOPLE THEY TRUST. If what you say above is true, then they didn't hire good people - they hired based on the zeros.

My experience is with panic - panic doesn't do their own "business end" and somehow their handlers take care of us concert goers.

ps. as much as I've been bitching - I'm going to stop once I have a ticket. From that point on I'll be trying to go up not down. But hey, I didn't get presale tickets, so I'm letting them have it!