Jambands.ca

Anyone know where to buy real Absinthe in Toronto?

Cully

I was just wondering if anyone knows where to buy real absinthe in Toronto (or the surrounding area) My friend brought me back a couple bottles from Bulgaria, and the supply has run out.

I guess that I should have posted this in the WTB/WTS form...

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Beer more important than knife wound

By SUN MEDIA

The Edmonton Sun

A man who was stabbed at the York Hotel opted to return to the bar to finish his beer rather than seek medical attention.

Police responded to the downtown hotel located at 10401 96 St. just after 9 p.m. Saturday with reports that a man had been stabbed.

When they arrived, they found the victim at his table drinking beer.

"He's got a minor poke to his chest, but he's not giving us any details," said Staff Sgt. Regan James. "You can imagine the level of his concern was not that high."

No suspects had been located and cops said the victim was unco-operative with them.

EDMONTON - A Edmonton man who showed up intoxicated last June for his impaired driving trial was apparently not impaired at the time of the alleged offence.

Stephen Foster, 28, had his drunk-driving charges dismissed Tuesday after a provincial court judge ruled he was left with a reasonable doubt.

Judge Michael Stevens-Guille questioned some key parts of Foster's testimony, saying it 'gives some pause' and 'makes one wonder.'

But he also noted police evidence didn't match Foster's supposed blood-alcohol reading.

Foster had been slated to go to trial on the drunk-driving charges on June 9, however the case was adjourned when he came to court with glassy eyes and smelling of booze.

Upon learning Foster was in 'a self-induced state of inebriation from the night before,' an irate Judge Vaughn Myers had him arrested and locked up for several hours, during which time he had to undergo a strip search.

On Tuesday, Staff Sgt. William Bawn testified he pulled over Foster at 10:40 p.m. on Dec. 2, 2006, after seeing him speeding and fishtailing through traffic.

Bawn told court he noted a moderate smell of alcohol on Foster's breath and arrested him for impaired driving after he failed a road-side screening test. He also said Foster said he had last had a drink 25 minutes earlier.

Bawn testified he found four empty cans of beer and one half-full one behind Foster's driver's seat.

Under cross-examination, Bawn agreed Foster did not have difficulty walking and was not slurring his speech.

Court heard Foster later blew a blood-alcohol reading of .15, which is nearly double the legal limit.

Foster testified he drank four beers at work between 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. He said he then threw the empties into his car and drove home. He denied drinking in his car.

Edited by Guest

I have never tried this, but I'm on their mailing list. I think it sells in some BC liquor stores. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's the real deal.

http://www.absintheclassics.ca/

http://www.absintheclassics.com/canada/absinthe_taboo.html

Plus, being on their mailing list, they offer limited edition versions. eg... "toboo gold"

what's wrong with regular old booze?

Isn't that like asking someone who wants acid or mushrooms why they won't just settle with a joint?

The absinthe that you can buy at the BC liquor stores is real absinthe...except 'Absente' - which is not.

La Fee Verte

"Absinthe is now legal in the European Union and is being manufactured once again in France and Spain, among other countries. Switzerland has recently overturned its ban on the beverage and it will soon be legally produced there again. France, somewhat obscurely, now insists that the drink be labelled "Spiriteux aux Plantes d'Absinthe" or "Absinthes Distillees"; anything labelled simply "Absinthe" cannot be sold there. This may simply be the French way of abiding by EU policies while maintaining that "absinthe" itself is still illegal.

Today's cheaper varieties use a mixture of herbal oils added to diluted alcohol to produce a drink of 45% to 70% alcohol by volume. This includes most varieties made in Spain and in the Czech Republic. The latter are rather poorly regarded by connoisseurs, as their flavor profile has very little to do with the drink enjoyed at the turn of the century in France.

The better, more traditional and more expensive varieties are made by macerating wormwood, green anise and fennel together in 80-90% alcohol, then distilling the result. The distillate is then given an infusion of herbs including hyssop, lemon balm and Roman wormwood, which give it a strong floral scent and a greenish-yellow color. Finally, it is diluted to a strength of 68-72% alcohol. An absinthe blanche (sometimes called La Bleue, especially in Switzerland, where it has been made clandestinely since the ban) is made the same way, but omits the coloring step.

Absinthe is drunk with a mixture of 3 to 5 parts water to one part liquor, frequently using a slotted spoon to hold a sugar cube over the glass while water is dripped slowly into the absinthe. The sugar enhances the flavor profile but isn't strictly necessary. Good absinthe, like a good arak or ouzo, is dry but not bitter.

As for the thujone/health issue, recent testing has found that thujone exists in absinthe, but only as a trace impurity. The best absinthes typically contain very low amounts of the substance, far below the amount needed to have any clinical effect on the human body. It has been speculated that the bad effects of poorly made absinthe were trumped up by French vinters in an effort to rid themselves of a dangerous economic rival. Absinthe supplanted wine as the French national beverage during the phylloxera epidemic of the 19th century, which devastated French vineyards.

Unfortunately, there are brands of absinthe produced in Germany and Eastern Europe that are labelled "high thujone" and try to exploit the sensationalist image of absinthe as a rumored hallucinogen. Invariably these are not distilled absinthes, but oil mixtures, and they miss the most important aspect of absinthe: its flavor."

• 2 weeks later...