Jambands.ca

cuba!

PalacePrincess

We stayed at the Melia Cayo Santa Maria. It was wonderful. All inclusive Adults only. The chain of Melia resorts is based in Spain, so they import a lot of their food from there; although the food was not extraordinary, it was better than expected. Beach was beautiful, not to crowded. Staff were friendly. Night life was a little low key, but we were in a group of 8 so we were a travailing party.

In my opinion, Cuba is a much nicer vacation than Mexico. Fewer Americans and the staff are more genuine.

Enjoy

thanks, that's wonderful!!!

basher, it's cuba because from what i have gathered, cuba = dirt cheap, and that's reeeaalllly a main objective. also, this is gonna be a very last minute dealio, ideally book then leave a couple days after, leaving sometime in the next 2-4 weeks. i have done the domincan and totally enjoyed it, but i've heard wonderful things about cuba having nicer beaches. :) so i'd like to check those out too.

I'd go to Cuba again in a second and it wouldn't bother me if I ever stepped foot in the Dominican again. It's one of the poorest countries in the world and it's really dangerous - and very dirty.

I did a half-resort/half-Old Havana trip and I highly recommend it. I stayed at a ***** hotel in downtown Havana for three days and then went to an all-inclusive Sandals resort in Varadero for 4 days. If I had to do it again, I think I'd just stay in downtown Havana. It's a fascinating place and very safe - Cuba is one of the safest places you can visit in the Caribbean. Cubans are a proud bunch, educated, musical, some are desperate, quietly anti-American and careful when they talk politics (there's police on every corner).

bouche and I stayed at the Barcello Solymar in Veradero and enjoyed ourselves very much. The staff is attentive and call you by name.

The excursions are fun. My top three would be:

Catamaran (boating to a secluded white beach island for a beach cooked seafood lunch).

Swimming with the dolphins.

Day trip into Havana.

Plus we rented Scooters and were able to explore parts of Veradero that aren't for tourists. It made the trip.

No matter where you end up staying bring:

- Hot sauce

- School supplies and other giveaways. People really appreciate this sort of thing when you venture off the resort and get a real taste of Cuba.

Have fun!

We stayed at the other end of the island once, near Santiago. If you want big white-sand beaches, go to the Veradero/Havana area. The beaches near Santiago aren't as nice (smaller, more "normal") but on the other hand there are a lot of mountains and beautiful natural scenery. And Santiago itself is really nice, too - lots of good sites to check out.

We loved our Cuba experience. We travelled with our son when he was 8 months old. They treat you so well when you have kids with you. Cubans are so friendly with children and really watch out for them.

Ms.Hux is right to say it's a good idea to bring school supplies and drug store stuff for anyone who is providing you with service down there. We'd leave out stuff for the maids and help out favourite bar tenders, etc. It pays off in spades.

We stayed at the El Senador in Cayo Coco. It was part owned by Serge Savard (Habs ) and was a fantastic resort. Here's a bottle of wine with Serge on it :)

450px-ElSenador_wine3.jpg

I see that it is now under a different name (sold i guess) now NH Krystal Resort:

http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotels/cuba/cayo-coco/nh-krystal-l.villas-and-resort.html

The beach there is unbelievable. The sand is so fine, and so white, it's almost like flour :)

I much prefer Belize over Cuba. I've been to Cuba three times and noticed each time it seemed to have been spoiled a little more by the tourism.

If your looking for an all inclusive in Cuba, we really liked Breezes Jibacoa. In between Havana and Varadero. No kids. Good snorkeling reef off the beach. Decent food. Stayed there a couple of times.

In my opinion if you don't see Havana you'll miss out on a lot.

A good way to go is to book a cheap resort in Veradero for a week and leave after a couple of nights and get a B&B (Casa Principale) in Old Havana for four nights or so and then spend your last night back at the resort.

Things to see in Havana:

-The grounds of the Hotel Nationale, especially the bunkers.

-The big cemetary. Even if cemetaries aren't your thing it's bloody impressive.

-Breakfast daquiris from one of a hundred balconies.

-Go see a baseball game. They have a pro team and stadium in Havana.

-Ride in one of the old Chevs. Get someone you trust (like at your B&B) to arrange a taxi ride in one of them.

-I believe there's an artist market every week in Havana. Go and buy something. They'll try to take it off the frame so you can bring it on the airplane. Don't let them! I saw people on the plane with big stratched canvasses, and mine cost more than what I paid for it to get it restretched.

-Do be careful at night. It's not a dangerous place but not a place to act like a target just be smart and relatively sober (or with someone smart and relatively sober) if you walk around at night. If this paragraph makes you nervous about going there forget I typed it.

glad you posted this PP! CBC has been doing a series on cuba 50 years after the revolution and it's put a bee in my bonnet. i would like to go while fidel is still alive, i don't really know why. but yes. hopefully in the next year or so! :)

have fun and post pics!!!

I agree with Kanada's food critique and everything Velvet wrote.

To really get a flavour of Havana and Cubans in general (at least urban Cubans), you have to stay away from resorts and stay in one of the good Old Havana hotels for a few nights (or a B&B). Also, check out Havana's black market and find shade whenever possible, drink lots of Crystal beer and if that doesn't appeal to you, their wine is from Chile - so its good. It would be a shame if you went to Old Havana and didn't check out the hotel that Hemmingway lived and wrote in: Ambos Mundos Hotel (the room he lived in is a museum). I had beers and decent bowl of chicken and shrimp paella at the restaurant on the hotel's rooftop. Great views too.

Also, when you are in Havana, make sure to go to one of their famed jazz clubs... and don't mention that you are a fan of Arturo Sandoval. He's been ostracized.

Also, when you are in Havana, make sure to go to one of their famed jazz clubs... and don't mention that you are a fan of Arturo Sandoval. He's been ostracized.

Would it be OK to mention being a fan of Dizzy Gillespie's Afro-Cuban music? I think he had a connection to Sandoval.

Aloha,

Brad

Also' date=' when you are in Havana, make sure to go to one of their famed jazz clubs... and don't mention that you are a fan of Arturo Sandoval. He's been ostracized.[/quote']

Would it be OK to mention being a fan of Dizzy Gillespie's Afro-Cuban music? I think he had a connection to Sandoval.

Aloha,

Brad

Yes. Cubans love their jazz. Sandoval made what Cubans saw as anti-Castro (Cuba) statements a number of years ago and he isn't supported like he once was. I think Sandoval has played in Cuba since though, sparingly.

Oh, and bring your own large plastic cup for the resort. They serve drinks in glasses so small you need to order them six at a time.

I suggest a Princess Pimp-Chalice. ;)

Honestly, I'll ask my Mom, she was there a couple of times not too long ago. She definately knows Veradero, but don't say you know her cause you know how she can leave an impression. :)

Apparently everything illegal requires a bribe of one backwards cuba - a buc(k).

Edited by Guest

Oh yeah, stick to Cuban currency when you are there.

? Is it illegal to use American or Canadian (not that anyone wants Canuck Bucks but)?

From my understanding people are more than happy to take a tip not that you want to do that in front of the fuzz in a "communist" country.

Edited by Guest