Jambands.ca

Scallops

Hux

Mike and I invented this little ditty. Omitting the bacon would still be good because there's a lot of flavour in the cheese. Plus, because you assemble them separately you can have bacon on yours and she doesn't have to (Highly recommended method ;) )

Seared Scallops on Crustini with Bacon and Herbed Goat-cheese

48823292_e7c44b06b4_o.jpg

4 or 8 Bacon strips (depending on presentation, more bacon=more fun)

8 Sea Scallops (sliced into 2 horizontally)

1 crusty baguette

Herbed Goat cheese (make your own with garlic and fresh herbs or buy one premade such as Rondelé)

1 garlic clove

salt and pepper to taste

olive oil

Slice baguette on angle to create long and thin (1/4 inch) angled slices from the baguette. The slices will be much crispier if they are thin. Brush each with Olive oil and broil in the oven, watching closely as they will turn from crusty to burnt in seconds. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Rub each with garlic clove and then spread herbed goat cheese as thick as you like.

Heat skillet on medium heat and fry bacon until desired crispness. Remove to paper towel for greasy soak-up and reserve the bacon fat in the pan. Add scallops to the hot pan, season with salt and pepper and sautee each side for about 1 1/2 minutes. Scallops cook fast. Lay 3-4 scallop pieces on top of goat cheese. Place 1 to 2 strips of bacon on top and serve.

Scallops have no brains so can't synthesize pain, like a plant. They react to stimulus chemically or electrically just like a plant does. They have no face, like a plant. Most spend their entire lives fixed in one position, like a plant. They are a healthy source of nutrients, like a plant.

Scallops are a delicious meaty plant.

Scallops have no brains so can't synthesize pain, like a plant. They react to stimulus chemically or electrically just like a plant does. They have no face, like a plant. Most spend their entire lives fixed in one position, like a plant. They are a healthy source of nutrients, like a plant.

Scallops are a delicious meaty plant.

:D

152831_200902191903411.thumb.jpg

Though delicious, plants - like scallops - endure pain. It's a bit more realistic to look at the issue on a level of consciousness rather than outdated attitudes about pain and suffering.

It cannot yet be proven that Plants and mollusks like Scallops and Oysters are conscious enough to suffer.

Swiss Ethics...

Cut Flowers and 'loves me/not' flower destruction are among the biggest hypocricies if it's really an issue of pain.

It's really a far worse thing to overcook scallops than to merely kill them.

What a waste of a perfectly good water filter and some of the most amazing meat found above or below the sea.

It's meat. Real flesh. Takes a very long time to be broken down in our bodies unlike plant matter.

Arguably more ethical than factory farmed eggs or dairy.

That sandwich looks awesome by the way, Sharon.

Scallops are among my favourite as sushi.

lightly (barely) grill to make them sweeter, or not if you like that slippery texture.

Soak in salty (sea-like) water to get the sand out of them.

Spicy scallop rolls are nice as well.

Mayo-based sauces make scallops seem like the most slippery, slimy things on the menu.

Beats the slurp of oyster shells and is at least as exciting.

I like them pan seared and then add a sauce.

Make sure you dry the scallops, season with salt and pepper and then drop then in a really hot pan. Wait for it to form a nice gold crust and then flip.

For a sauce, I recently made them with Pernod Cream Sauce. Dice a shallot and some garlic and fry it in some butter. Cook it down (but don't let it brown) and add some a shot of pernod. Reduce and add about a 3/4 cup of cream. Let it reduce by half. Taste, season- add more Pernod if the flavour isn't strong enough and finish with some butter. Spoon it over the scallops and garnish with a sprig of fresh thyme. Tarragon works nice with this dish as well if you like a strong anise flavour.

I served it over a wildmushroom and thyme ragu. - Basically chopped a bunch of different mushrooms, cooked them with some shallots and garlic in butter and white wine and added a good hit of fresh thyme at the end.

You can plate it nicely and make it look awesome!

I should add that in my experience IQF (individually quick frozen) scallops are generally better then fresh. Truly fresh scallops are awesome but we don't live next to the ocean and the product we get around here already has some age on it and they are usually shipped in a brine which the scallops absorb. Half the time the "fresh scallops" at the grocery store are previously frozen anyway. The IQF scallops are often frozen on the boat within hours of leaving the sea. Much better flavour profile. I've tasted fresh and frozen side by side and the frozen product has a much sweeter, less "fishy"flavour.

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the Wellington Gastropub for lunch yesterday, and had scallops, served on a bed of mashed potatoes flavoured with lemon. It was awesome, and since the Loeb near me now has bulk frozen seafood, including scallops, I bought some, about 8 or 10, in the "20/30" size, which I think are medium; each of them will easily fit into a 1/4-cup measuring cup with room to spare. I'm letting them thaw in the fridge, and plan on just pan-frying them tomorrow for dinner; no real added flavours or anything, though the goat cheese sandwich thing sounds interesting.

Aloha,

Brad

I like my scallops opaque and caramelized on the outside.

I rub them in celery salt, cumin, chili flakes or cayenne, corriander, fresh garlic and ginger and lime zest and I use bacon fat as a medium in a very hot cast iron skillet. After the scallops are cooked, deglaze the pan with Spiced Rum and the juice of the lime you zested and reduce the sauce slighty and then finish with a teaspoon or two of cold butter.

• 2 weeks later...