Jambands.ca

Dear Car Drivers...

NewRider

Please WATCH where you are going! Today was the 3rd time in one week I've nearly been hit on my bike by a car that thinks turning right on a red is HIS right away and FUCK pedestrians.

Unfortunately for the driver today I was in a REALLY shitty mood and he also nearly took out a woman pushing her kid in a stroller. Just because you're pissed that Capri's aren't on sale enough at Old Navy doesn't give you the right to speed around like a fucking moron. I dropped my bike in the road and kicked the fuck out of his bumper, taking off his license plate in the process. Perhaps what I did was wrong and I overreacted. But let's just imagine for a second he couldn't brake at that last second and hit knocked that stroller 10 feet in the air.

I waited for the police after booting the shit out of his bumper. Was told I could be arrested for vandalism but they were letting me go with a warning. The driver was pissed but was told he was negligent and should think about his OWN child in the back being hit by some asshole who doesn't wanna look out for people that aren't in cars by the police. Thank you Hamilton Police.

If you drive a car in a major city please realize that there are people walking and biking as well. It's not just people in cars you need to look out for. We have a right to travel without gas drinking vehicles, I follow every traffic rule and I only ask that drivers do the same.

End of rant.

Cyclists must stop behind the white line at traffic lights just like everyone else. I'm trying to turn right fucker, but you are in the way.

If the sign shows the walking dude, whether I'm on a bike or on foot I take that as a green light for pedestrians. I never speed across the street because you never know. I stop, I push the little button to make the cars stop, so fucking stop.

I don't wear a helmet.

Sorry' date=' then you give up all right to bitch. [/quote']

he also nearly took out a woman pushing her kid in a stroller.

Would she have a right or is she just as stupid for not wearing a helmet and having one on her kid for crossing the road too?

I'm sitting at a red-light in a 60 foot bus. About to make my right hand turn. The bus has six right hand turn signal lights on it. I'm slowly inching forward to make my turn. You don't see my six blinking lights and whip up on my right, blow through the stop bar, and into the cross walk. I run over you. Your fault. Not mine.

Cyclist's bike was destroyed, yelled at bus driver, "you or the city is responsible for my bike."

Supervisor shows up says "take your bike and fix it yourself, or we'll have to call the cops and fill out a report."

Cyclist says, "fine call the cops."

Supervisor says "you sure?"

Ottawa police show up. "Here's your fine for crossing the stop bar, and passing on the right, Mr. Cyclist. Don't expect the city to fix your bike."

as a cyclist, you are operating a vehicle. you have the same rights and responsibilities as a car driver. to equate a pedestrian with a cyclist is disingenuous. of course the pedestrian has the right of way (if she is crossing on the green) and does not need a helmet.

my point about the helmet is that if you are stupid enough to be riding without one then YOU have to take responsibility for whatever happens to you on the road, whether you are in the right or not.

Cyclists are pretty loud when it comes to staking their right to the roadway and the worst when it comes to actually following the rules of the road. I see it on a daily basis: cyclists blowing through red lights and stop signs, riding on sidewalks, riding against one-way traffic, failing to signal, etc.

And don't tell me that's the exception because it's far and away the majority of cyclists that break the rules they are so keen to see enforced against other vehicles. I've even seen cyclists use the sidewalk when there's a clearly marked bike lane on the road next to it. The Laurier bridge is a good example of where I've seen this happen, for those in Ottawa.

I don't wear a helmet. I probably should wear one with enough stupid, thoughtless pricks driving these days though.

Wear a helmet and ride defensively. Some drivers are idiots and/or can't hear or see you coming. I can't imagine not wearing a helmet while on my bike.

Cyclists are pretty loud when it comes to staking their right to the roadway and the worst when it comes to actually following the rules of the road. I see it on a daily basis: cyclists blowing through red lights and stop signs, riding on sidewalks, riding against one-way traffic, failing to signal, etc.

And don't tell me that's the exception because it's far and away the majority of cyclists that break the rules they are so keen to see enforced against other vehicles. I've even seen cyclists use the sidewalk when there's a clearly marked bike lane on the road next to it. The Laurier bridge is a good example of where I've seen this happen, for those in Ottawa.

Other than being a sweeping non-scientific generalization, I agree with your main points. Some cyclists think they are immune to the rules of the road. But really though, if a reckless and agressive bike courier gets greased by a car, is this such a bad thing? Seriously, the cyclists that drive on sidewalks are arrogant and/or ignorant idiots; same with the ones that blow through red lights and stop signs.

my personal favorite is people on carling ave, riding bikes in traffic, holding up cars, when there is a huge 2 lane bike path running along the road... I have never seen a cyclist use it.

Cyclists are pretty loud when it comes to staking their right to the roadway and the worst when it comes to actually following the rules of the road. I see it on a daily basis: cyclists blowing through red lights and stop signs' date=' riding on sidewalks, riding against one-way traffic, failing to signal, etc.

[/quote']

Other than being a sweeping non-scientific generalization, I agree with your main points. Some cyclists think they are immune to the rules of the road. But really though, if a reckless and agressive bike courier gets greased by a car, is this such a bad thing? Seriously, the cyclists that drive on sidewalks are arrogant and/or ignorant idiots; same with the ones that blow through red lights and stop signs.

i agree. i bike and drive (sometimes at the same time). the other day this cyclist comes up the right side and goes right in front of my car where i was waiting at a red to go straight. problem is shes turning left. so she skips about five cars , cuts in front of everyone, then no one got to go straight as had to wait for her to turn. ugh.

as a cyclist for sure the most risky thing is intersections when cars are turning right, and your coming up the right..heads up!

my point about the helmet is that if you are stupid enough to be riding without one then YOU have to take responsibility for whatever happens to you on the road, whether you are in the right or not.

Even if he receives non-head-related injuries while not wearing a helmet?

When a bike is in the roads that are regulated by traffic laws, I believe that the operator is supposed to follow the traffic laws. Any vehicle on the road has to follow the same rules. Yet, I see many cyclists riding between GIANT buses and cars, in between traffic lights and generally messing up the rules of the road.

This happens even when there are bike paths available.

When I'm in a car and driving, I create an imaginary bubble around the guy on a bike so I steer clear, but that always affects any cars around me.

I don't think that it's a big deal as long as everyone plays nice. When you get that jerkoff that thinks that he controls the traffic, that's when shit gets nasty.