Jambands.ca

Brittany Murphy died today.

Birdy

Holy fuck! I know she was having problems on the set of movies - she's been kicked off several recent productions due to erratic behaviour. She never really seemed too healthy-looking to me though - skinny as hell. Man, this is terrible. I'm not really a fan of her film career, but I love her work in King of the Hill. Sad sad news.

This anorexia thing is freaky. People shouldn't die from choosing to avoid eating calories.

It's far more complex than that Mike. For those afflicted with the disease' date=' it's not a conscious choice.[/quote']

that's a disease? is it an infectious disease or an autoimmune one?

this is a bit off topic now, as i'm not even relating my question to this poor lady, but why are you suggesting that anorexia is a disease? I'd say it's more of an effect of pressure put on by the environment one lives in.

btw, charlie murphy's wife died today too.

This anorexia thing is freaky. People shouldn't die from choosing to avoid eating calories.

It's far more complex than that Mike. For those afflicted with the disease' date=' it's not a conscious choice.[/quote']

this is a bit off topic now, as i'm not even relating my question to this poor lady, but why are you suggesting that anorexia is a disease? I'd say it's more of an effect of pressure put on by the environment one lives in.

btw, charlie murphy's wife died today too.

I should clarify that anorexia is a psychological disorder, but in some medical circles, it's classified as a mental illness. I've seen how it manifests first-hand.

this is a bit off topic now, as i'm not even relating my question to this poor lady, but why are you suggesting that anorexia is a disease?

Are you suggesting that anorexia is NOT a disease?

I think it's safe to say that Eating Disorders, addictions, and other compulsive behavioural disorders are generally classed as 'diseases' (though that word is less and less PC as the hours roll by) by the establishment.

I suppose it depends on one's understanding of the word 'disease'

dis·ease (d-zz)

n.

1. A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.

2. A condition or tendency, as of society, regarded as abnormal and harmful.

3. Obsolete Lack of ease; trouble

For Example: I personally feel that addiction does not entirely suit the term/distinction of the disease model, but how else can rehabilitation and other forms of help be extended to those that can't afford private rehab? If it's a health concern then help can be administered through the medical system but if it's not then there are fewer resources available to those in need and the only other options may lie in the penal system.

I can only presume that there are many similarities between addiction and eating disorders as far as dependance, social, and psychological factors are concerned - so in many ways labeling it a disease is very useful and helpful, at least to the majority of those in need.

There are a lot of people in the world that need all the help and compassion they can get.

I hope her family and friends are holding up well.

I'm not the hugest Brittany Murphy fan... but as a girl, and general fan of girl-y movies, I did think she was kinda cute. I've been reading the 'star' responses to her death, and a whole whack of them say that she was a little piece of sunshine. And I thought so too... from her roles, and all. So it is sad. I like little pieces of sunshine.

I read the coroner sent away the results of the autopsy for toxicology tests, and it will be 4-6 weeks until they're back. But rumour has it, large amounts of prescription drugs were found at her house, which I'm sure if taken in excess could have caused her to go into cardiac arrest.