Jambands.ca

For The Record...

Velvet

At Irene's on Friday night someone from the board called me out on The DoneFors. "In the article you wrote you said it would be good," was the drunken accusation, "If you say it's good I expect it to be good and I don't think this band is good."

Well, lemme tell ya, my job for 24 Hours is as a previewer, that is to describe an upcoming act in a positive light. My job is in no way to critique negatively.

So the rule of thumb should be If I Get Paid To Write It, It May Not Be True.

I recommend to one and all that they ignore any glowing reviews of mine read in hard copy, and my apologies to anyone who ran out and bought the new Saint Alvia album on my recommendation.

Sheesh.

Hmmm.

It never occured to me that doing this was perhaps unethical in some way.

The idea is to interview someone and describe their upcoming event. I don't see why I should be expected to put my personal opinion in the piece, certainly nobody is asking for it.

I don't like Santana or moe. but I see no reason to try to warn others away from listening to them.

When I pumped gas I would fill up the tank whether or not I liked the car. I teach every kid that comes through the door, not just the ones I like.

I dunno, when you guys are at work do you only do your job when the subject is aesthetically pleasing?