Jambands.ca

Official Ottawa Bluesfest 2010 Thread (first post contains current lineup)

bouche

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Levon was spectacular last night. Not only were there up to 14 (!) perfectly coordinated people on stage by the end, but the twists and turns on the songs were delicious (I'm thinking right now of the Blind Willie McTell with shades of Gilded Splinters). Amazing lineup, too - Jim Wieder, Amy Helm, etc., and then John Hiatt and Glen Hansard coming out for the end of the set.

Much as I like sitting around once in a blue moon listening to Rush, give me that kind of show any day. And that's all without getting into the difference between the crowds. I really like Santana, but am already dreading what that's going to look like.

Did anyone see The Sadies on Sunday? I am liking the new album, wondering if they are playing much of that.

Also how was Gord Downey? I read recently that The Sadies have recently recorded with Gord Downey as his backing band (or maybe its still happening).. Just waiting to see when this will translate to the live stage. Hopefully at Hillside.

Last night, Arcade Fire played a show in Quebec City as part of the Quebec Summer Festival. As The New York Times reports, the band used their set to talk about an issue dear to them: the rebuilding of Haiti following the devastating earthquake that hit Port-au-Prince.

According to the Times, at the show, Arcade Fire co-leader Régine Chassagne revealed the creation of a nonprofit organization called Kanpe, which funnels aid from Canada to Haiti to help the poor. (Chassagne's parents emigrated from Haiti to Canada.) According to the Kanpe website, Chassagne sits on the nonprofit's board. At the Quebec show, Win Butler, Chassagne's husband and Arcade Fire co-leader announced that audience members could donate $5 to the effort by texting 30333. The band promised to match every donation from the public up to a million (Canadian) dollars. Butler said, "Please, take our money," the Times reports.

So: If we send a million dollars to Haiti, Arcade Fire will also send a million dollars. Amazing. Let's do it, people!

This is just the latest of the band's many efforts to help Haiti after the earthquake. Soon after the quake hit, Chassagne wrote an editorial for the British newspaper The Observer, asking people around the world to help with the relief effort. And when the band licensed their song "Wake Up" to the NFL for a Super Bowl commercial, they donated all the proceeds to the relief efforts.