Jambands.ca

Brian Jonestown Massacre

bouche

I'm with Schwa on this one. I can separate the appeal of the music from the appeal of the band, but without ever hearing them, the name would not be a pull factor for me. A deterrent if anything, or a catalyst of negative assumptions. I think we all judge a book by their cover, even if only for the short-term or on an intuitive level.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos Schwa, had I known not liking a bands name would warrant such discussion, I would have said something about band names long ago.

Seriously? Phish? loljb.gif

As for Brian Jonestown Massacre, I've heard the band's music and have never really had any interest in it - a bit too far into the indie sound for me. As for the band name - meh

Do you think Jerry Bob and the boys really thought being dead was so great?

Kind of a weak comparison in my opinion, considering the (possible) origins of the name.

The name "Grateful Dead" was chosen from a dictionary. Some claim it was a Funk & Wagnalls, others, the Bardo Thodol (Tibetan Book Of the Dead), but according to Phil Lesh, in his biography (pp. 62), "...Jer (Garcia) picked up an old Britannica World Language Dictionary...(and)...In that silvery elf-voice he said to me, 'Hey, man, how about the Grateful Dead?'" The definition there was "A song meant to show a lost soul to the other side."

According to the Garcia biography, Captain Trips by Sandy Troy, the band was smoking the psychedelic DMT at the time.

For a long time I always heard the name came from this.

"We now return our souls to the creator, as we stand on the edge of eternal darkness.

Let our chant fill the void in order that others may know.

In the land of the night the ship of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead."

-- Egyptian Book of the Dead

A weak comparison for a weak observation.....

The name sucks so the music must too? What?!?!

Or that its related to an event with negative connotations: how about Led Zeppelin?

Indie sound? Ok maybe to some, but if they aren't a reincarnation of the 60's psych sound- then I don't know what is. They've been around for longer than the term "indie" has been used to describe a genre of music not a professional standing.

They've been around for longer than the term "indie" has been used to describe a genre of music not a professional standing.

Ok, I'll play along since I'm celebrating the death of my 30s and am half lit up...

Brian Jonestown Massacre formed 1990.

The term "indie" - popped up early 80s.

loljb.gif

60's psych, indie, jamband, rock & roll, emo, doesn't matter to me really. I'm not one to get worked up (or even care), about the music genre labels ot there today. I just like what I like and go from there.

No one else...? Well, I'll say a bit more. Doors opened at 8 or so. Anton was in the DJ booth until about 10:30 playing dubstep which was hilarious. He seems really into the electronic beats now. Some of the newer album Who Killed St Pepper almost reminds me of Jimmy Swift-but I don't think I would even identify it as BJM (or Anton) because the sound is so different. But I love the new album-it's very groovy. They had an opening band (who I couldn't hear their name) but they were kind of psych. rock/pop. As long as they played the sitar I was okay, otherwise it was a bit too pop for me. BJM came on at 10:30 and played a solid 2 hours. No fighting on stage. Joel and Matt Hollywood took the centre, Anton on the left. I think they seemed a little shocked at the toronto audience's enthusiasm. Apparently they played for an audience of 60 in Detroit. They smoked up a storm on stage (by-laws... f-em!). They played a lot of their hits (all on the red album-best hits) which were awesome, and then sparsely tossed in some newer songs. Anton claimed he was officially kicked out of Canada-they let him in for 2 days to play and that's all. He's going to the courts and telling them how much he loves Tim Hortons.

Oh yes, there was one official crowd surfer which I thought was hilarious, and a mini mosh pit?!

Haven't listened to any of BJM's recent stuff, but about 4/5 years ago one of my bandmates at the time lent me the Dig documentary.

Wasn't all that impressed with it (I've seen enough people documented while destroying themselves or close to it), but when he was in semi-sound mind and body, I found Anton Newcombe pretty funny and thought he had some interesting thoughts on music in general.

I paid their website a visit and found most of their albums zipped up and available for free, so I ended up listening to a large part of their catalogue.

Newcombe is clearly a skilled songwriter, though the production on some of that stuff is woefully bad. Also, he tends to rip off his influences a little "too" much at times right down to the album titles (i.e. - Her Satanic Majesty's 2nd Request or Bringing It All Back Home Again).

Still, there's some pretty good stuff in there. I'll take the Sadies any day of the week and twice on Sundays, but if the BJM were playing a show close to here and I knew about it, I'd probably go see it. I hear they are a killer live band.