Jambands.ca

Get your vote on folks!

edger

If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for...but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong. If this is too blind for your taste, consult some well-meaning fool (there is always one around) and ask his advice. Then vote the other way. This enables you to be a good citizen (if such is your wish) without spending the enormous amount of time on it that truly intelligent exercise of franchise requires.

Aloha,

Brad

is spoiling a ballot worth my time?

I think so. You're registering your dissatisfaction if nothing else and you made an effort for your voice to be heard. Whether that actually does anything I doubt very much but democracy is something that must be practiced.

C'mon people, in honour of all those who have died fighting for voting rights... do your civic duty.

PLEASE VOTE!!!

Disaffected and angry voters, take note: spoiling your ballot is a crime.

There's no legal way to express disgust for politics via the ballot, whether by scribbling on it, writing obscenities, or drawing pictures.

According to section 167(2)(a) of the Canada Elections Act, "no person shall wilfully alter, deface or destroy a ballot." Conviction could bring a $500 fine or three months in jail

(note: I believe that quote to be wrong with regards to the potential fine, as I understood it be $5000, not $500)

Not exactly sure how this differs between federal elections and municipal, nor how it may differ between municipalities. Elections Canada's mandate is federal.

167(2)(a) reads:

Other prohibitions

(2) No person shall wilfully

(a) alter, deface or destroy a ballot or the initials of the deputy returning officer signed on a ballot;

That said, I'm all for civil disobedience, and have spoiled a ballot or two in my time. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

I do think that it is largely a waste of time. The number of spoiled ballots do not get counted, nor do they get reported. But if it feels good do it.

Disaffected and angry voters' date=' take note: spoiling your ballot is a crime.

There's no legal way to express disgust for politics via the ballot, whether by scribbling on it, writing obscenities, or drawing pictures.

According to section 167(2)(a) of the Canada Elections Act, "no person shall wilfully alter, deface or destroy a ballot." Conviction could bring a $500 fine or three months in jail

[/quote']

(note: I believe that quote to be wrong with regards to the potential fine, as I understood it be $5000, not $500)

Not exactly sure how this differs between federal elections and municipal, nor how it may differ between municipalities. Elections Canada's mandate is federal.

167(2)(a) reads:

Other prohibitions

(2) No person shall wilfully

(a) alter, deface or destroy a ballot or the initials of the deputy returning officer signed on a ballot;

That said, I'm all for civil disobedience, and have spoiled a ballot or two in my time. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

I do think that it is largely a waste of time. The number of spoiled ballots do not get counted, nor do they get reported. But if it feels good do it.

You can always decline your ballot. The number of declined ballots does get reported. I've done it at least twice before.

I heard an interview with Ford on the Ceeb's... it was pure comedy gold too, then I realized they actually voted for him, and my heart sunk.

I got back to London to find that my vote actually really for real would not have counted...

Fontana by... self-declaration?!?!?!? shades of Bush.

Canadian politics is dangerous right now, for the citizenry.

I heard an interview with Ford on the Ceeb's... it was pure comedy gold too, then I realized they actually voted for him, and my heart sunk.

I got back to London to find that my vote actually really for real would not have counted...

Fontana by... self-declaration?!?!?!? shades of Bush.

Canadian politics is dangerous right now, for the citizenry.

by self declaration? really? i can see why so many people get apathetic when it comes to voting

This is the Fordo CBC interview...it's goddamn embarrassing. Why did I leave Hamilton again?

http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/episode/2010/10/26/tuesday-october-26-2010/

(beginning of part 1)

That was fucking horrible. What an ASSHOLE. He will pull a Harris I guarantee it. Get voted in on an easy promise (car registration tax elimination = Harris' getting rid of photo radar) and then proceeding to destroy everything in their path. Ontario's education system is still FUCKED from Harris. Grrrrrrrrr.