Jambands.ca

What are your thoughts on Wasaga Beach?

kc

I was there for 24 hours last summer. The main beach drag is depressed and full of above-ground parking-lots and vacant stores. There was a big fire a few years ago that gutted one of its core beach blocks, but nothing was built to replace it. The beach itself is really nice and well maintained and Lake Huron is a fairly clean lake. The area is also surrounded by power-centres and big-box stores, which hasn't helped the development of the beach area to say the least. There's potential there, but right now Wasaga needs some TLC.

Edited by Guest

I remember it as being mostly over-run with teenagers on the weekends, but a beautiful beach. The surrounding region is pretty rural/small town Ontario. Not so sure how high the concentration of cool/hip people to the overall populace is, but I'm guessing it's a diluted gene pool.

Wasaga Beach is cool if you’re from Toronto and you drive your moms supped-up civic. Most people sit by the side of the road on a couch they dragged out of the cottage they rented and cheer for cars that spin their tires.

13215-2000-Honda-Civic.jpg

455659641XTquYu_fs.jpg

The cool/hip folks are in Collingwood! :bonghit: :chug:

Edited by Guest

I went to the Wasaga Beach Bluesfest about 7 years ago.

Joan Osborne with the Funk Brothers was stellar!

I think it was the only year that it was held up there.

The festival was pretty dead until The Hip showed up on the Sunday night.

I remember people lined up to pay $20 cover charge to dance bars that were on the strip after the live music ended.

I'd go back if there was a similar festival right on the beach again.

My experiences as Wasaga Beach are best described by the song "Research at Beach Resorts" by Max Webster:

hot sun and tan

yeah, dontcha just scream

boy, what sand

sand sand sand

say cheese

paddle boats surf ladies in shorts

up and down the coast we coast

yeah, we cry

research at beach resorts

line up crowds at the pavilion

Max is playing "Vacations"

we're in newport for research

to get abreast of thing

to get get a breast of things

take your tourist toys to the concert

we've just researched wasaga beach

bonfire pits at midnight

hangover eyes at sunrise six

what is it that we stare at?

is it the passports and campsite stars?

or the monogrammed bikinis and cars?

or maybe we just need some perspiration 'cause we're frostbitten Canadian boys

put on your sunglasses

get in on the parade

we're gonna cruise the beach

we just might get crazed

Yeah, the one time I was there years ago, I went to see Big Sugar at the Dardanella (or the Dard), which as I recall would host some rock shows here and there. Other than that, though, I remember a very high douchebag factor on the beach, lots of the aforementioned cars with spinning tires, and generally being mostly disgusted with the people there. I'm sure with the advent of Jersey Shore it has become even more of a jerkoff's paradise.

Have a nice trip! :D

And I know what YOU'RE saying, but Georgian Bay was once a separate body of water entirely while Hay Bay (near Picton) isn't a bay off a lake at all...it's flowing INTO lake Ontario isn't it?

Different geology, different landscape, different climate and weather, different ecology...

Edited by Guest

I played a gig in the Wasaga Beach Dome a few years ago... and it was THE WORST sounding stage ever. Horrible. I still have on stage nightmares. The sound bouncing around in the dome was ridiculous. SO not the place to see a concert.

Thanks for the comments people, it's giving me some perspective for sure. I gather douchebags are the norm but just wanted to hear if cool people would come out of the woods for something good or if that species is pretty much extinct in the area and we'd be better off booking a 4th generation nickelback style band.

Also wondering if indie hipster club kids would frequent the area or if even they are not going near there.