Jambands.ca

Hobbit movies get titles

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

So Peter Jackson is making an adaptation of The Hobbit for those who have not heard. The prequel to the Lord of the Rings was a single small book, about half of the size of each of the trilogy tomes. Yet somehow enough story is being extracted from the book to justify a two part story arc ($$$!). The two movies have now received their titles:

The Hobbit pt.1: An Unexpected Journey

The Hobbit pt.2: There and Back Again

A lot of the cast from the first three movies will be back in this movie, which is a little worrying since only Bilbo, Gandalf, and Gollum should be back.

Edited by Low Roller
edited for correct title. Going from memory is dumb.

There are several really cool sub-plots in the Hobbit that I would have liked expanded upon such as the Dwarves vs Orcs battle, Smaug and Elrond. Anyway, should be interesting to see if Jackson can pull this expanded re-imagining off (too bad that del Toro dropped out as director):

THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY, to be released December 14, 2012, and THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN, to be released December 13, 2013.

A lot of the cast from the first three movies will be back in this movie' date=' which is a little worrying since only Bilbo, Gandalf, and Gollum should be back. [/quote']

Elrond was in The Hobbit, wasn't he?

Yup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elrond

Elrond Half-elven is a fictional character in J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth legendarium. He is introduced in The Hobbit, and plays a supporting role in The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion.

Aloha,

Brad

The Council of Elrond chapter in Fellowship tells a lot of backstory between The Hobbit and when Frodo leaves The Shire. That's what I'm guessing they're including, because it has a lot of Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, etc.

There's a whole lot of not getting laid happening in this thread.

Hey! Just because I can recite the Elvish decent of Elrond, from his Half-elven father Earendil right back to Finwe, High King of the Noldor, doesn't mean I'm a nerd!

Er...nvm.

• 1 month later...
You pics aren't coming through, but they should be all Dwarves.

Chrome spell-check kept telling me that "dwarves" was incorrect and "dwarfs" was the preferred spelling.

Anyway, here's the Link for Thorin's picture. You can click links from that page to see all of the other dwarves.

• 1 year later...
Guest Low Roller

Resurrecting this old thread to talk about the Hobbit now becoming three movies. How Peter Jackson plans to take a 200 page book and make three epics (with the eventual Extended Edition for Blu-ray release no doubt) begs some questioning. What liberties will he take with this story this time?

A lot of source material is said to come from the appendices, similar to how Arwen was added to the first trilogy despite only a small mention in the book, and a brief history in the appendix (IIRC).

The titles are apparently getting a reshuffle as well.

The first movie will still be called "An Unexpected Journey".

The second film was meant to be called "There And Back Again", however I just saw this morning that the studio is playing around with some other ideas while officially naming the third movie. Currently the rumour has the second movie changing to "The Desolation of Smaug" while the third is called "The Battle of Five Armies".

Guest Low Roller

Anyone wonder why it's always a 'trilogy'? Is a trilogy of movies considered the optimal amount of films related to a single storyline before saturation point with the audience? Why won't anyone ever do a 'quadrilogy'? One too many?