Jambands.ca

Rich Robinson 2nd solo album, tour, Toronto show.

deranger

Just saw this. Was really excited then realized I was going to be in Pittsburgh on Oct. 15th for a wedding. And I thought to myself, you have got to be fucking kidding me.

THE BLACK CROWES ARCHITECT HITS ROAD WITH SOLO BAND

Rich Robinson will be touring nationwide behind the release of his second solo album, Through A Crooked Sun (arriving October 11). The tour begins in Philadelphia, PA on October 6 and currently wraps November 19 in Phoenix, AZ.

Through A Crooked Sun was produced by Robinson and includes guest appearances from Warren Haynes and Larry Campbell. The album will be released by Circle Sound/Thirty Tigers. Check out tracks from the new album here.

Rich Robinson Tour Dates

Thu-Oct-06 Philadelphia, PA North Star Bar

Fri-Oct-07 New Hope, PA Triumph Brewery

Sat-Oct-08 Vienna, VA Jammin' Java

Mon-Oct-10 Boston, MA TT the Bear's

Tue-Oct-11 New York, NY City Winery (2 shows, 1 night)

Wed-Oct-12 Portland, ME Port City Music Hall

Thu-Oct-13 Hudson, NY Club Helsinki

Fri-Oct-14 Burlington, VT Higher Ground Showcase Lounge

Sat-Oct-15 Toronto, CAN El Mocambo

Mon-Oct-17 Detroit, MI Magic Stick

Wed-Oct-19 Chicago, IL Double Door

Thu-Oct-20 Minneapolis, MN Cedar Cultural Center

Fri-Oct-21 Iowa City, IA The Mill

Sat-Oct-22 St. Louis, MO Blueberry Hill

Tue-Oct-25 Nashville, TN Mercy Lounge (Upstairs)

Wed-Oct-26 Asheville, NC Grey Eagle

Thu-Oct-27 Chapel Hill, NC Local 506

Fri-Oct-28 Atlanta, GA Smith's Olde Bar (Music Room)

Sat-Oct-29 Athens, GA Melting Point

Tue-Nov-01 Houston, TX Fitzgerald's (Upstairs)

Wed-Nov-02 Austin, TX Stubb's Jr.

Fri-Nov-04 Denver, CO Soiled Dove

Sat-Nov-05 Salt Lake City, UT The State Room

Tue-Nov-08 Vancouver, CA Media Club

Wed-Nov-09 Seattle, WA Triple Door

Thu-Nov-10 Portland, OR Star Theater

Fri-Nov-11 Arcata, CA Jambalaya

Sat-Nov-12 San Francisco, CA Cafe du Nord

Sun-Nov-13 Sacramento, CA Harlow's

Tue-Nov-15 Santa Cruz, CA Moe's Alley

Wed-Nov-16 San Luis Obispo, CA SLO Brewery

Thu-Nov-17 Los Angeles, CA The Roxy

Fri-Nov-18 San Diego, CA The Casbah

Sat-Nov-19 Phoenix, AZ Crescent Ballroom

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/51420/Rich-Robinson-Fall-Tour

http://www.soundspike.com/news/tour/2864-rich-robinson-tour-rich-robinson-promotes-sophomore-solo-set-with-north-american-tour/

I was also at the Hookah Brown show and no there was never a Hooka Brown album released but apparently many, many unreleased demos exist from that band.

Considering how poorly attended the last Rich solo show was, I'm doubting this one will sell out. But its also at the Elmo with has a much smaller capacity. Either case, enjoy it for all those who can attend. Being out of town on the 15th, I'm trying to swing the Oct. 17th show in Detroit instead.

• 1 month later...

http://bit.ly/riHsOB

tumblr_lsydzdFKjJ1qjoyjs.jpg

Rich Robinson - Through A Crooked Sun

Rich Robinson will release Through A Crooked Sun on October 11, 2011. Through A Crooked Sun is Rich’s second solo album after much success as a co-founder of The Black Crowes. Robinson produced the album, which includes guest appearances from Warren Haynes and Larry Campbell. The album will be released by Circle Sound/Thirty Tigers.

“The most exciting thing for me in doing my own album is that a lot of the things that I want to express lyrically, which are very personal, may not have space to be expressed in the band format,†says Rich.

This album chronicles his path to peace and centeredness in the aftermath of personal turmoil. He uses the sun as a metaphor to examine his life because his tough experiences both nourished him and blinded him at the same time.

Rich has also been part of a Howard Zinn film project called The People Speak, which he found to have a common cause with the album. - JamBase

mp3@v0

Track List

1. Gone Away

2. It’s Not Easy

3. Lost And Found

4. I Don’t Hear the Sound of You

5. Hey Fear

6. All Along the Way

7. Follow You Forever

8. Standing on the Surface of the Sun

9. Bye Bye Baby

10. Falling Again

11. Station Man

12. Fire Around

http://bit.ly/riHsOB

Chris Robinson was awesome last night in Buffalo, Appaloosa, Last Place that Love Lives, I Ain't Hiding and a wicked Sugaree to close things out. I hope Rich can put on something similar tonight, especially with Molitz on keys, that guy tears it up in Particle.

Anyone representing?

I saw both shows... Chris and Rich. Pretty interesting to see both brothers doing their own thing, and be able to pick out where the different influences in the Crowes came from.

Chris's set in Buffalo was pretty killer... all amazing players, and having Adam MacDougall on keys was amazing. You can't argue with a Clavinet. Mellower guitar tones than the Crowes... the guitarist was very obviously a Garcia fan. To hear Chris sing with awesome backups was great too.... One thing I missed was Chris' stage energy... he had a guitar strapped on the whole night and kinda had that nervous guitar player vibe as opposed to his normal schtick. They got pretty jammy, but seldom 'rocked'.

Rich's set at the Elmo was also killer. Great, great guitar sound... crunchy, loud and very rich. As well, great band. Joe Magistro killed it on the kit... Rich's singing was surprisingly good too! Like Chris, he played some Crowes repertoire... I dug that he reworked Home For Me into the rocker it was, as well as Oh Sweet Nothin. It was definitely a rock n roll show. Keyboardist didn't really sell it for me though... something about that Nord tone - but to be fair, he did say his Leslie had just crapped out on him the day before.

Overall...

Chris has the better singing, keyboards and venue (the town ballroom is my absolute fav)....

Rich had better guitar sound, guitar playing and drumming.

Very glad I was able to see both shows.

I'm a terrible judge of crowd numbers... maybe a little over 100 for Rich. Probably about 400 for Chris the night before.

Solo tours can be a tough beast regarding drumming up attendance. Combined, the Robinsons still drew around the same amount that turned out to see John Entwistle back in 1996 at the Warehouse (Kool Haus). I'll never forget the look on The Ox's face when he walked on stage... and I think it was mutual since nobody was there.

I saw both shows... Chris and Rich. Pretty interesting to see both brothers doing their own thing, and be able to pick out where the different influences in the Crowes came from.

Chris's set in Buffalo was pretty killer... all amazing players, and having Adam MacDougall on keys was amazing. You can't argue with a Clavinet. Mellower guitar tones than the Crowes... the guitarist was very obviously a Garcia fan. To hear Chris sing with awesome backups was great too.... One thing I missed was Chris' stage energy... he had a guitar strapped on the whole night and kinda had that nervous guitar player vibe as opposed to his normal schtick. They got pretty jammy, but seldom 'rocked'.

Rich's set at the Elmo was also killer. Great, great guitar sound... crunchy, loud and very rich. As well, great band. Joe Magistro killed it on the kit... Rich's singing was surprisingly good too! Like Chris, he played some Crowes repertoire... I dug that he reworked Home For Me into the rocker it was, as well as Oh Sweet Nothin. It was definitely a rock n roll show. Keyboardist didn't really sell it for me though... something about that Nord tone - but to be fair, he did say his Leslie had just crapped out on him the day before.

Overall...

Chris has the better singing, keyboards and venue (the town ballroom is my absolute fav)....

Rich had better guitar sound, guitar playing and drumming.

Very glad I was able to see both shows.

thank you for the review, I missed both shows though I would have gone to Rich's as my first choice. Interesting that they both worked Crows material into the show, as other than a teaser Soul Singing during Rich's last Lee's show, I've never see either do Crowes while playing solo. Maybe I'm not remembering Chris' sets accurately though, I saw way more of them during their respective previous jaunts.

having Adam MacDougall on keys was amazing...One thing I missed was Chris' stage energy... he had a guitar strapped on the whole night and kinda had that nervous guitar player vibe as opposed to his normal schtick.

Yes! MacDougall's groove was totally infectious.

Too bad we didn't cross paths! I could only swing one show, and committed to this one before even knowing about the other, but I was not disappointed. Loved the set. Loved the jams. They stretched things out at times more than I was anticipating. A very different feel than when I saw Chris and the guitar player do their duo in the summer (which I also enjoyed).

Agreed, the Ballroom is one of the best venues out there. Great company too! Thanks for driving TimmyB, we were long past due for taking in a show together.